Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Disclaimer: I promise I'm not trying to be a complainer or one of those guys who just starts negative threads for no reason. My 700wx was my first pocket pc/smartphone and I was hooked. I soon thereafter had a 755p land in my lap, so I converted my second line to a Treo as well. I swore by palm and had the same blind loyalty I have to Microsoft, Pepsi, etc., often scoffing at my freinds' iPhones and HTC products.

When the 800w was announced, I said I wouldn't get it right away, being that I had a brand new 700wx that Sprint had swapped out for me (I'm good for taking them back every couple of months after a few dings and scratches).

Anyway, I wound up buying one the day they were released. Couldn't resist. Since then, I've become utterly frustrated with the phone. All in all, it just seems REAL buggy and not on par with my two previous Palm products. My biggest complaint would have to be battery life, combined with the fact that if your battery drains, you have to let the phone charge for a half hour before you can even use it. That's unforgivable. It just seems that nothing on the phone seems to work when it should.

So with that being said, I'm just curious: How many of you are truly happy with their phone? Has this phone changed your opinion of palm products at all?
    I'm happy with mine (on my second one). Never had a Palm branded product before so I can't compare other than what friends with other models have told me. It's not perfect but pretty darned good and does more things than my laptop.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    I love the 800W , best phone I ever had , ( I had the Sprint module, 600,650,700,centro) but I am probally moving to the Touch Pro. Havent made my mind up.As I said I love the 800W and its extras seem nice. The 3.2 camera with flash and TV out option are very cool. Again when they send me the pro I have a few days to try it out. Then I will make my final decision and return the one I dont want. The Pro seems like a ultimate mix of phone and laptop. We shall see.
    I came from a 700p so anything is an improvement. It's been mildly frustrating getting it customized and finding software that does what I want it to do, but at least it works.
    We are mostly happy with ours. I think they dropped the ball on the battery, and I am quite put off having gotten so many different answered from them about what they will do about the standalone GPS not working, and the speakerphone is the worst of any phone I have used, but overall, given the number of features it is a very good package.

It really comes down to value. If you can get the phone cheap and have a good plan with Sprint you really get a lot of bang for your buck.
    Some call me a 'geek', I'll admit to being a 'technologist'.

I've had a number of 'handheld computers' or PDA's. I still own ALL of them.

My experience of Palm is with my trusty 505. (I still have it and it's sitting in its cradle nearby) It is able to keep a phonelist and datebooks simpler than any device that I've used since. I really really really liked the 'palm desktop'. Much easier to navigate then the MS Outlook stuff. To bad I can't sync my other devices with it. The 505 had a 180x180 15bit color transreflective screen, (maybe it was 160x160, I don't remember).

What I DO remember is that the device had a lot of promise, but fell short on all but the phonelist/datebook things (and a few simple games).

I have a Casio E125. Gorgous screen if you're NOT anywhere near any lights, slow as heck and running on the most worthless junk of a OS anyone tossed together. Granted it was better than the ones MS came out before it, but still 1/2 baked. While I liked the screen better, I kept going back to the Palm505 as it was SMALLER and did dates/contacts better/simpler/easier. (in 2000/2002 there was very little freeware for PPC's worth downloading)

I waited clear until WM5.0 and got a Dell 51v. Still use it, still love it. Its really a shame that people are buying ipods/iphones and the like when WM devices COULD be all that and MORE but for some stupid reasons they are not. (MS really dropped the ball here)

I pay extra so I can tether my 51v or laptop to my cell phone. Granted Bluetooth 1.0 sucks and carrying two devices is a pain. I waited for something that could be the best of both worlds.

Enter the Palm 800w.

Here's a device that does almost everything that my 51v does as well as most everything that my old cell phone does in a package that is smaller to boot!

I love the screen. I like the way Palm placed 'hot keys' for most stuff. The size fits in my pants or shirt pocket. Lots of good stuff.

Frankly, I've rarely had to reset the thing. %90 of those were from installing incompatible programs on it.

There are a few regrets:

#1. Why on earth did they put a uUSB connector on it? I have dozens of 'miniUSB' chargers, data cables and the like laying around here. Now I have to get a bunch of microUSB crud. Yuck.

#2. The phone rings, I hit the button on my headset or the answer button on the phone and then the WAIT BEGINS. There is an ENORMOUS delay between answering a phone call and actually getting to talk. The whole phone seems a little 'slugish' to me. (then again I'm used to the +624Mhz cpu in my 51v)

#3. The idea that Palm does not carry a 'extended battery' at all is beyond comprehension. I have to charge this thing at least every other day if not every day and MULTIPLE TIMES at that. It needs a bigger battery.

#4. The odd screen size and other some strange reasons many WM applications that I enjoy on my 51v won't run on the Palm 800w.

#5. Forgetting the sillyness/stupidness built into WM by default, I'd say that this device is working as expected and has been a incremental upgrade from the hardware/software I was using before. I've been quite pleased with it ad have LOTS OF FUN showing up my iphone friends with what I can do with it FOR FREE.

I'm sorry that you are not happy with yours,

Mark.
    i ordered this phone with a sero plan, and I came from a Shadow, so I'm satisfied
    I'm very happy with the 800w.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I was a little skeptical about switching from Garnet to WM. Now that I did I can't believe I didn't do it a long time ago. WM is not perfect but it is worlds better than Garnet, BB OS or iphone.

The Treo 800w is the best device Palm has ever made. Love the keyboard, love the soft rubber like texture, love the way it feels in my hand, love the fact that it is built like a tank. It does everything so well except battery life. I just keep an extra battery in my wallet and that eliminates its only downside.

I got to play with a Treo Pro today and I have to say that I much prefer the 800w. The 800w runs WM noticeably faster. The pro has a slippery cheap plastic feel to it. The keyboard sucks even more than the centro. No soft keys, and because the screen is flush, it is prone to scratching. My friend scratched his screen 1 hour after it was out of the box after it slipped out of his hand. The 3.5mm stereo jack is the only thing it has on the 800w but I have discovered that I really like BT stereo with my Jarbra BT3030. If they introduced a Treo Pro for Sprint I would still favor the 800w for the reasons mentioned above.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Love mine. Not perfect, but still the best phone/pda I've ever owned.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    I think that the Centro is superior in pretty much every area except web browsing. I bought the 800w because of the web browsing choices. I'll put up with all of its shortcomings in exchange. I'm disappointed but life goes on.
    Personally, I think the nearly $300 I've put down on accessories affirms I'm pretty happy with the Treo 800w.

Regarding my opinion of Palm products, the Treo 800w has lowered it a bit, given Palm's horrible response regarding the GPS issue. I will say I no longer consider myself "Palm loyal".

Yirk - How can the Centro be superior in every area, when the Centro can't even do much of what the Treo 800w can do?
    I really want to love this phone, but most of the time I find that I barely like it.

I like everything about this phone...except it's performance AS A PHONE. I'm on my second 800w, and I still have the same issue as the one before. Poor audio volume/quality during calls for both the handset and through bluetooth.

I'm seriously considering the touch pro.
    I'm totally pleased with the 800w. It is by far the best phone/pda I've ever owned. Actually - I'm also pleased with Sprint thus far.

I had been watching the HTC Touch HD (I really like the concept) but with my 800w - I'm not too concerned that the HD might not be sold in the USA.
    Visor Phone, Treo 180, Treo 270, Nokia 3650, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 800w
    i have a love/hate relationship with it. quite frankly i think winmo is the root of all evil and can be attributed to MOST of the many problems 800w users are having. If the buggy OS ever gets an update I might be singing a different tune but until then I am annoyed to no end concerning:

1) short battery life and the need for constant charging. At least the phone charges relatively quickly. I have adapted somewhat by:

- Carrying a spare charged battery.
    - Adjusting brightness one tick below MIN. On a sunny day outside I will even turn the backlight completely off since you don't need it all then.
    - When sitting down at my desk at work or driving in the car keep the phone plugged in.
    - Kill any programs you are not using, set Outlook to check for emails less often (I have 8 IMAP accounts setup).

2) Syncing over USB corrupts my data connection so that re-provisioning PCS Vision connection using ##DATA# does not even fix it only a hard reset. I have found however as a workaround that syncing over BT does not cause this problem to occur.

3) Phone as modem over BT causes my laptop to freeze up for some reason. I have found however as a workaround that connecting via USB does not cause this problem to occur.

4) Phone operations are a little slugish.

5) Form factor is a little heavy and bulky by today's standards (iphone, treo 850 pro, etc...)

6) Lack of production of a Microusb audio adapter - I did the crapset hack and it suits my needs just fine but it's retarded we have to go to these lengths.

Other than that I like the phone. You just have to figure out the many quirks and workarounds and you are all good.

I would compare this phone to mechanics car. If you are a techie/programmer type that likes to tinker it has a lot to offer otherwise you will pull your hair out like my dad does with his 750w.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

Yirk - How can the Centro be superior in every area, when the Centro can't even do much of what the Treo 800w can do?
    Guess it depends what you use it for.

I think Chatter email is far superior to the Pocket Outlook thing on the 800w. I didn't like Flexmail either.

The battery on the Centro while the same size, does not have the mysterious battery draining qualities that the 800w randomly exhibits.

The Centro has a headphone jack instead of a micro usb jack that often does not even know when something is plugged into it. I don't care what Palm says they patched, the 800w still has issues syncing with a PC. I could charge my Centro while something is plugged into the headphone jack. Yeah I bought the Palm splitter but due to the flakey usb port, it did not work reliably.

The 800w is really buggy. Random lockups and freezes, missed calls that don't ring through, backlight issues, gps that does not work without a Sprint signal.Wifi that causes a poping noise out of the speaker while on the phone.

A terrible built in alarm that beeps about 3 times then gives up.

Kinoma Play has a ton more features but I wish it was as stable as Kinoma Player on the Centro. It is new so I'm giving it time.

Plus, WM has a horrible layout. Only allowing 7 programs to be on the quicklaunch bar means that I often must drill down to launch others.

The 800w does a lot of things but none of them very well.

Still, I put up with all of this because of the far superior web browsing experience on the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inimical View Post
    Poor audio volume/quality during calls for both the handset and through bluetooth.
    Have you tried hannip's A2DP settings hack yet, to see if that might help any?
    im happy with mine. does everything i need it to do.
    700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Have you tried hannip's A2DP settings hack yet, to see if that might help any?
    I did and it seemed to improve playing music through bluetooth but no effect on phone calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Guess it depends what you use it for.

I think Chatter email is far superior to the Pocket Outlook thing on the 800w. I didn't like Flexmail either.
    OK.

The battery on the Centro while the same size, does not have the mysterious battery draining qualities that the 800w randomly exhibits.
    The Centro also runs the Palm OS, that can't run various programs at once. I understand your concerns about battery life, but it's because WM is a more advanced OS that does way more. Think of it like going from a small car to a corvette and noticing gas millage is different .

The Centro has a headphone jack instead of a micro usb jack that often does not even know when something is plugged into it. I don't care what Palm says they patched, the 800w still has issues syncing with a PC. I could charge my Centro while something is plugged into the headphone jack. Yeah I bought the Palm splitter but due to the flakey usb port, it did not work reliably.
    Yea I recall you had issues with that.

The 800w is really buggy. Random lockups and freezes, missed calls that don't ring through, backlight issues,
    When I had issues like that, I got a replacement. Can't say I've had any of those problems since.

gps that does not work without a Sprint signal.
    But with the Centro there is no GPS at all.

Wifi that causes a poping noise out of the speaker while on the phone.
    And no WiFi on the Centro. I think the interference comes with having a device with WiFi. Think of it like going from a compact that seats 4, to a corvette that seats 2 .

A terrible built in alarm that beeps about 3 times then gives up.
    Lots of free alarm programs are available. There are other options.

Kinoma Play has a ton more features but I wish it was as stable as Kinoma Player on the Centro. It is new so I'm giving it time.
    OK .

Plus, WM has a horrible layout. Only allowing 7 programs to be on the quicklaunch bar means that I often must drill down to launch others.
    Lots of layout changes are available. You can give the device a whole new look if you want. There are utilities that offer a cascading programs menu too.

The 800w does a lot of things but none of them very well.

Still, I put up with all of this because of the far superior web browsing experience on the 800w.
    Some of your problems I have not seen since getting my first 800w replaced early on. I think the 800w does a WHOLE LOT well, but I guess that's just my opinion of it. I know I had the T650 and the Centro didn't make me even consider switching. The 800w is one I've switched to and never looked back.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast