Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Its better then my 700wx and better then the Mogul because it has more RAM and only for that reason.

1. I miss my BlackBerry Push Mail, but thats not a factor because its like saying I miss the the heated steering wheel of my BMW when your driving Camry or something. BlackBerrry Data Plan = $$$ (40). windows data plan= $ (15)

Main Issues

1. Battery Sucks
    2. Screen Brightness Sucks
    3. Browser Sucks

Love it:
    1. Outlook Integration!!!!!
    2. Almost as stable as my 8330 honest. (then again the only thing I have installed is Skyfire
    3. Better integration with Windows (Dahh)
    4. Love hate relationship. decided to keep the 8330 will switch them out every so often.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarlson111 View Post
    As head of IT, my group tries and tests many Sprint phones, I was so looking forward to the Treo 800w over the Treo 700wx. After deploying nearly 10 units, the verdict thus far is that it has great potential but is even buggier than the Treo 700wx.

Most units are absolutely plain jane, really being used more as mobile e-mail devices than phones. Complaints are both poor battery life and random freezes requires soft resets anywhere from 1-4 times/day.

My own personal experience (I had a unit from the first day out) is:
    - Great screen, great extra buttons, great keyboard, nice form factor
    - Great camera, handles 8GB MicroSD cards without "popping out"
    - Browsing speed OK but not a "wow" compared to EVDO Rev 0
    - Terrible battery life (but fixable), flimsy stylus, USB connector often hard to plug in.
    - Telenav sucks the life out the battery in no time (1 hour!!!)

However, what is the downfall of this device are the random freezes and poor behavior when charging.

Sometimes the phone says no service, other times the phone works OK for voice calls but phone cannot connect for data, Sometimes it is eternally trying to dial #777 with no connection. Sure enough, a quick flip out/in of the battery reboots the phone, and then, finally, voicemails start arriving, along with text messages and e-mail. These random freezes are destroying the reputation of the phone and Palm. I called Palm today (their 90 day initial setup help line), and it was hard to get a Level 2 engineer to even accept that Palm might need to own this problem rather than write off the problem with a response that there may be too much data coming across that is getting corrupted. Huh,,, isn't this one of the hallmark reasons people are buying this device...to use it almost as a PC substitute that will by necessity need to receive a lot of data?

I plug in the car charger, and the phone refuses to recognize it is on external power. Replug it in and now it recognizes it...maybe. Now use it while charging, and it forgets it is charging. The Treo 700wx did not have this problem (as long as the bottom connector wasn't worn out). Let the phone go to less than 10%, and it keeps waking up just to remind you it is dying - further sucking what precious life is left in the battery. Once at 0% battery life, and as stated before, it needs 15-30 minutes charging just to wake up. This behavior is just not acceptable as a business phone. It certainly is priced as a business phone though!

Palm - please recognize that immediate action is needed to address these problems very quickly, or this phone will soon have a bad reputation and sales will tank. Blackberry is coming on strong with new offerings. The Moto Q9c and Samsung Ace i325 are viable and less costly competitors (albeit non-touch screen).

Palm - please - eradicate the bugs from this phone. You have the potential to really make this phone a winner. Oh BTW, a real killer phone would not only have the bugs removed, but be a QChat phone as well. Just hoping....
    Have you updated the phone with the USB cab for the recharging issue to see if it helps?

My phone is buggy, but it doesn't require 1-4 reboots a day. I guess it could be just a bad unit.

I remember when the 700p first came out. The first unit I got would reboot itself 4-6 times a day for no reason. Finally got Sprint to replace it and the 2nd one was stable......until the head jack connector went bad. I still have the 3rd unit and it has been VERY stable up until I upgraded to the 800w.

Tae
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Since I gave the 800 back to Sprint yesterday, I did NOT have to reboot my old 700p one time to make or receive phone calls, or connect to data.

No pop up saying "phone connection failure, please reboot your phone"

No data connection failure saying to check connections and try again.

Rebooting the 800w 3 to 6 times a day just to use the phone was becoming full time employment.

I actually had three 800w units, and all had the same phone radio connection issue. none of the three 800's would roam on any cell service, except for Verizon. I think the former Verizon, now Sprint 800w was happy to be calling home

I treid to give mine back to SPrint but they wouldn't take it becuase I was over the 30 days (or whatever it is). This thing is a POS. I guess I have to put it up on ebay.
    Dropping my Treo 800w for a Touch Pro.

Always liked the concept of the Touch pro better, absolutely cannot believe how quickly Sprint got those out- considering the Treo 800w seemed like a dated device when it came out.

Big dissapointment- the 320 x 320 screen. There's no added space for new stuff because all the palm software is just made bigger.
    50% of my other software fails to work properly with it.

Camera delay is horrible, albeit most WM devices has the same issue.

Sound issues occur a lot with mine, and I know this is a result of using bluetooth headphones. (Volume Mutes... if your not careful your phone wont ring either then.)

GPS is not a standalone, and does not work outside of Sprint service area.

There is no 2.5 or 3.5 headset jack. This is bizzare.

The battery is lackluster- and you have to pull it out to reset the phone.

As always, the device seemed to be untested by the time it reached the market. Test it with a 15 year old, a 30 year old, and a 60 year old- they might address some of those issues.

Palm has outsourced their next device- the Treo Pro which resolves the GPS, Headset, and Battery issues.

The 800w if you ask me, had a shelf life of 3 months. The HTC Touch Pro is a stronger device in just about every way. For those who "can only use a device with a front facing keyboard" why bother reading reviews- you have no choices. If that is the only form factor you are willing to work with, then the Treo or Centro is for you.

Also just for the record- I'm aware the HTC Touch Pro isn't going to be a dream as far as minor issues are concerned. However, I can imagine the device on a global scale will outsell the 800w 20-to-1. How on Earth Palm made an entirely new handset for just one particular carrier is beyond me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123