Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why is it that this is available for the Treo Pro but the 800w has been out for months and no such product is available for it from Palm?

Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Thanks for the link... However, I'm pointing out that Palm is not supporting the 800w in the same manner as it is supporting the Pro. The 800w should have had a Palm dock months ago...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I'm sure that Palm isn't biased against their own product, so I wouldn't take it too personally. Maybe they don't see a market for it, considering that others have already put out a cradle?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I'm with gk.

Why the heck didn't they offer this product sooner? As a business user, I need a cradle for my device on my desk. And, isn't the 800w a top of the line business/enterprise class device for Palm?

I'm glad aftermarket vendors have filled the void, but Palm really shouldn't have created one in the first place.

Not to mention that the mobi one linked says not available until 10/22, to boot.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Guys, I honestly don't blame Palm one bit.

Considering the business side of this, they are doing the right thing to rush as much support as they can to the Treo Pro than the 800w.

Think about:
    • Which device works throughout more of the world, Treo Pro
    • Which device is likely to get more sales, given the point above and that it has "the look" many are after, Treo Pro
    • If a CDMA version is made, which will sell more, the Treo Pro or the Treo 800w. Again the answer is Treo Pro.

Bottom line, Palm is in business to make money, so they are correct from that perspective to totally cater to the Treo Pro. We who have the 800w, well the accessories on Ebay are cheaper anyway...

You might say, well if they made more for the Treo 800w they would make more money from Treo 800w customers, but the fact is, time invested in the 800w is time taken away from the Treo Pro. Long term, the money is with the Treo Pro.
    At some point, there has to be a successor to the centro. perhaps it will be on the same form factor and mechanical attachment as the Pro. And as Darnell noted the projections for the pro itself (GSM and probably CDMA) maybe much higher
    If you make you feel any better, it says it is "instock" but it is not. I have had one on order for over a week, got the phone, got the international charger but no cradle "backordered"
    Just give me the CDMA Pro already, why, why, Palm. Sorry, had to. If you guys haven't played with a Pro, it's sweet. I thought the Centro keyboard would suck but adapting is no problem.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Yeah let's face it. The Treo Pro is Palm's new baby. 800w is an older model phone. Anyone think that is Sprint/Verizon get a Treo Pro, they will still sell the 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Why is it that this is available for the Treo Pro but the 800w has been out for months and no such product is available for it from Palm?

It must be a vast right wing conspiracy.

Or maybe HTC decided they could make a few more bucks off of the Pro by selling Palm a full range of accessories to go along with it. Duh
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It must be a vast right wing conspiracy.

Or maybe HTC decided they could make a few more bucks off of the Pro by selling Palm a full range of accessories to go along with it. Duh
    Damned right wing!!! LOL

Seriously, though, the dock was the first thing I purchased for my 700wx and I've been waiting patiently for an 800w dock since the phone came out and now this...

I know I can get an aftermarket dock but I much prefer sticking to the Palm stuff if I can...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Guys, I honestly don't blame Palm one bit.

Considering the business side of this, they are doing the right thing to rush as much support as they can to the Treo Pro than the 800w.

Think about:
    • Which device works throughout more of the world, Treo Pro
    • Which device is likely to get more sales, given the point above and that it has "the look" many are after, Treo Pro
    • If a CDMA version is made, which will sell more, the Treo Pro or the Treo 800w. Again the answer is Treo Pro.

Bottom line, Palm is in business to make money, so they are correct from that perspective to totally cater to the Treo Pro. We who have the 800w, well the accessories on Ebay are cheaper anyway...

You might say, well if they made more for the Treo 800w they would make more money from Treo 800w customers, but the fact is, time invested in the 800w is time taken away from the Treo Pro. Long term, the money is with the Treo Pro.

Cant argue with this logic at all. This does nothing, though, to take away the feeling that they knowingly sold a product they had no plans on supporting by way of accessories. I know Palm released a couple of quick updates and good for them! but I still feel like 800w owners are now the red-headed step children of the SP world.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    Cant argue with this logic at all. This does nothing, though, to take away the feeling that they knowingly sold a product they had no plans on supporting by way of accessories. I know Palm released a couple of quick updates and good for them! but I still feel like 800w owners are now the red-headed step children of the SP world.
    Well there's also this possible reason:

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Or maybe HTC decided they could make a few more bucks off of the Pro by selling Palm a full range of accessories to go along with it.
    And consider if Palm never made the 800w. Where would we be? We'd be looking at the Treo Pro released to non-CDMA carriers, sitting around trying to run with rumors about when it might be made CDMA compatible, which could happen who knows when, if it happens at all. Let's say a CDMA Treo Pro is released early next year? That's 6 months after the release of the 800w. Meaning we'd be without for that much time if we prefer Sprint. And if no CDMA Treo Pro is ever released, we'd be without till something else came along. The Treo™ 750 never released on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    And consider if Palm never made the 800w. Where would we be? We'd be looking at the Treo Pro released to non-CDMA carriers, sitting around trying to run with rumors about when it might be made CDMA compatible, which could happen who knows when, if it happens at all. Let's say a CDMA Treo Pro is released early next year? That's 6 months after the release of the 800w. Meaning we'd be without for that much time if we prefer Sprint. And if no CDMA Treo Pro is ever released, we'd be without till something else came along. The Treo™ 750 never released on Sprint.
    Yep. Like I said. I cant argue with the logic. If I'm in that chair I make the same business decission Palm made, Especially if VZ DOESNT pick the 800w up Palm is spending who-knows-how-much to support an incredibly small percentage of its target. All that being said; It still sucks that I cant get a friggin' audio adapter for a brand new device. Its as though Palm EOL'd the device a week after it was released. Again, I understand the business side of it but that doesnt make my desire for hardware support go away.

In your "Happy" poll I voted yes, I am happy but I (and probably every other 800w owner) have to admit I'd be a whole lot happier if there were more options (like audio adapter) for accessories.

I wonder; If Palm did come out and say "The pro (or a comparable device) will be released on CDMA within the next 12 months" how many 800w's would have sold?
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre

In your "Happy" poll I voted yes, I am happy but I (and probably every other 800w owner) have to admit I'd be a whole lot happier if there were more options (like audio adapter) for accessories.
    I agree. I'd be "happier", but I can't say "whole lot", because I do have the BT option and that's been going OK. And since finding the BlueTooth Audio application, I've been able to enjoy using my BT phone headset for other audio too .

I wonder; If Palm did come out and say "The pro (or a comparable device) will be released on CDMA within the next 12 months" how many 800w's would have sold?
    Well I still would have mine and we don't know if a CDMA Treo Pro was ever a consideration.

Depending on the time line though, they'd have sold way fewer 800ws.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I agree. I'd be "happier", but I can't say "whole lot", because I do have the BT option and that's been going OK. And since finding the BlueTooth Audio application, I've been able to enjoy using my BT phone headset for other audio too .

Well I still would have mine and we don't know if a CDMA Treo Pro was ever a consideration.
    Depending on the time line though, they'd have sold way fewer 800ws.
    I hear you and agree with all you've said

I dont want to turn this into another "BT Headset" thread but I have to admit my only hang-up about the 800w is the audio adapter (pretty shallow, I know). The BT option isnt really justifiable for me because I dont use it all that often and to have to make sure its charged when I need it, etc.. can be a pain.

Dont get me wrong though. As I have said elsewhere; this is the best SP device I have owned. With a 3.5mm jack it would be "Perfect".
    I hear you and agree with all you've said

I dont want to turn this into another "BT Headset" thread but I have to admit my only hang-up about the 800w is the audio adapter (pretty shallow, I know). The BT option isnt really justifiable for me because I dont use it all that often and to have to make sure its charged when I need it, etc.. can be a pain.

Dont get me wrong though. As I have said elsewhere; this is the best SP device I have owned. With a 3.5mm jack it would be "Perfect".
    I don't think the 3.5mm jack issue is shallow at all. There are way more various headphones available with 3.5mm jacks than BT headphones.

Personally, I moved from the Treo 650 to the 800w and it's been a great move despite any issues. And I'm really enjoying Windows Mobile. Now, from the Treo 800w, in the future I've got way more options now that I'm on Windows Mobile.

Palm has made some mistakes and I no longer have many reasons to stay bound to Palm in the future. I really hope there are several future devices with front keyboards, instead of them all having the Ipod/Touch look . That's becoming the only reason to get Treos, as other devices are coming out that compete with (or even surpass) the Treos other features.
    Sorry for the noobness but what is CDMA?
    Im new to the pocketPC thing and am loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xPSYCHOTRONx View Post
    Sorry for the noobness but what is CDMA?
    Im new to the pocketPC thing and am loving it.
    CDMA It's what Sprint uses to make your Treo work. Verizon uses it also.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast