Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    every time it shows 3G & GPRS, when I turn on my TP, I had a data plan of $20 with AT&T on iphone, so will AT&T charge me additional service fee bcoz I pull out SIM card and into TP?

thanks.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I don't understand the question. Data is data, whether it is 3G or GPRS or EDGE. You are charged the same per KB no matter which mode you're using.
  3.    #3  
    my original iphone $20 plan is unlimited. So I'm just wondering if I use the same SIM card, if ATT gonna charge me more.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I don't know if iPhone plans can be used with non-iPhones. I think not and you may indeed get charged more.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    I don't know if iPhone plans can be used with non-iPhones. I think not and you may indeed get charged more.

OMG, I didn't know that! I have already been using TP for over a week. Why ATT didn't remind me since I use the same SIM card?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Technically speaking, you can use that SIM from your iPhone with any phone. Any time you connect to the data network, your phone will report to AT&T what type it is and if your SIM card is valid or not. The network then decides what services are you entitled to and it charges your account accordingly.

From AT&T side, however, if they actively monitor every time this happens, they may well contact you to remind you that the plan you are now (iPhone plan) is not compatible with your current phone and automatically bump you into the higher data plan.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Technically speaking, you can use that SIM from your iPhone with any phone. Any time you connect to the data network, your phone will report to AT&T what type it is and if your SIM card is valid or not. The network then decides what services are you entitled to and it charges your account accordingly.

From AT&T side, however, if they actively monitor every time this happens, they may well contact you to remind you that the plan you are now (iPhone plan) is not compatible with your current phone and automatically bump you into the higher data plan.
    So if they don't contact me in advance, I will assume it's OK right? At least, I can tell them I have no idea what's going on..... is that a good excuse?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Don't assume anything. There's a reason AT&T prices the iPhone plans separately. If you really care, call AT&T Customer Care and ask.
    been using iphone's sim card 20$ data plan on treo pro for 4+ months...

no extra charge AT ALL...

cheers!
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post

cheers!
    wow, great! thank you so much! I will not worry any more!
    I was on treo 680 w tmobile for six yrs w/ $20 data plan. Switched to att on wed. I had to bump to $30 plan unlimited data plan. My rep told me if i kept my 20 unlimited plan on this phone they would figure it out and hit me hard on my bill.
    The 2g iphones could use the $20 plan. The 3g ones need to use the $30 plan. Same goes for the treo pro on att. If you get away with it that's great but I believe it will catch up with you. Hope you make it! Good Luck
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post

cheers!
    4 months? How is that possible? the pro was only shipped last month. Or were you using it as a beta tester?
    Quote Originally Posted by elh1188 View Post
    4 months? How is that possible? the pro was only shipped last month. Or were you using it as a beta tester?

yup...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    I have an opportunity to get reimbursed $75 a month from employer for mobile phone service. I'm currently on Sprint and could just add a line and pocket most of the money but I love the idea of using the Treo Pro.

I was thinking I should just sign up for a new account and take a free phone. Then I can just slip the card into the Treo Pro right? Looks like the minnimum plan would be 39.95 + I would need to have a $30 data and $5 messaging. There goes the $75 plus some additional fees. ATT doesn't even have 3G in my area.

Is this the least expensive way to go if I want the Treo Pro? ATT sure is expensive compared to Sprint. I have the unlimited power vision plus package on two of my lines for $10 each and $5 each for 300 txt.

If they had 3G here I'd be more inclined to do it. I'd like to also get a redfly to use with it. I eliminated my home line and next I'd like to get rid of my ISP.
    $30 is the cheapest 'approved' data plan available for Pro.
    I say 'approved' because some use the Palm MediaNet plan, but Att will sock-it-to-ya if they find out.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I'm not sure that is really the case. The AT&T service agreement states that "PDA/BlackBerry plans may ONLY be used with AT&T-certified RIM BlackBerry devices, and PDAs " - A device you bring yourself is probably NOT an AT&T certified device. If one were to read the AT&T terms strictly, it's possible that a Treo Pro is ineligible for the PDA plan! I'm still trying to find where it says that you can't use the MEdiaNet plan... In nay event, I can't see AT&T having a leg to stand on in terms of "socking it to you" - In this case, I think the worst they can do is force a plan change prospectively.
    Sorry, I wasn't speaking from experience.
    I should say;
    I've heard that Att will hit you with a big bill if they find out.
    Urban myths as far as I know from actual people ever getting been hit with extra fees.

I have been running medianet or mediaworks $20 unlimited plan for years now. I've been grandfathered now into every Treo I have owned. Treo 650 to the Treo 680 to the Treo 750. Now I have the Treo Pro. I've spoken to the ATT representative on the phone and he was envious of my plan. I've been rocking GIG amounts of internet use too when my home DSL went out. Anyhow..

It all started when I got the mediawork/medianet $20 unlimited data plan, 2000 texts, with 100 or so MMS texts too.v

Quote Originally Posted by iamtreo View Post
    wow, great! thank you so much! I will not worry any more!
    You may receive a text message or call from ATT. They have been able to detect and note in my account ?? about data usage. Got that bit of info when I switched to the TreoPro over a week ago. They no longer allow you to put a mediamax plan on BBs and things of that nature. So I had to get a PDA plan and in the past used Media Max for $20. The PDA plan is the same price as the NEW iphone plan so no biggie there. I bet they want your extra $10 since you have the old plan.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketAddict View Post
    You may receive a text message or call from ATT. They have been able to detect and note in my account ?? about data usage. Got that bit of info when I switched to the TreoPro over a week ago. They no longer allow you to put a mediamax plan on BBs and things of that nature. So I had to get a PDA plan and in the past used Media Max for $20. The PDA plan is the same price as the NEW iphone plan so no biggie there. I bet they want your extra $10 since you have the old plan.
    That takes us full circle to what I mentioned earlier in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=172414
    Att will tell ones that they have to have the PDA plan for the Pro.
    Some who have the MediaMax plan will argue with Att and keep the MediaMax. Which I think they are right in doing (Grandfatherd)
    Some won't tell Att and just swap sim, and then if Att says something they either argue, or switch and say they didn't know.
    Where I think ones are little sneaky is where they get a cheap phone with a cheap data plan, and then swap the sim to their PDA.

Back when I had my 650 (No 3G) I went around and around with Cing, and they took me to level 2 cs and said I had to have the (at that time) $40 plan. It ticked me off because I had friends with Lg's downloading music on 3G with the $20 plan. Now that my data plan is $30 and I have 3G, it doesn't bother me so much. (disclaimer: I wasn't upset with my friends - I just thought $40 for dog slow Edge was steep and they knew they could get it cause we needed it for biz.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast