Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. glsda's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have used Palm and Treos from day one. I currently have the 650, It's a brick and dated but dependable. I have looked at the iPhone, close but no cigar and many others. I have tried to like MOS but it just doesn't work for me. Anyone have a feel if the Pro will come out with the Palm OS and if so when.

    Jerry
  2. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    #2  
    Not going to happen. The Centro is as close as you'll get.

    The Palm OS can not support many of the features users have come to expect - 3g (on GSM), WiFi, GPS. Palm has announced that the Centro is the last Palm OS phone they'll release. All new phones targeting professionals will use WinMo. Consumer phones will theoretically use the new Nova operating system, which is based on Linux, but it's been delayed so many times that some believe it will never be released - at least not in time to compete successfully with Google Android, the iPhone, or the new consumer-oriented Blackberry devices.
  3. glsda's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thank you,
  4. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    All new phones targeting professionals will use WinMo. Consumer phones will theoretically use the new Nova operating system, which is based on Linux, but it's been delayed so many times that some believe it will never be released - at least not in time to compete successfully with Google Android, the iPhone, or the new consumer-oriented Blackberry devices.
    1) Nova devices are supposed to launch next year. It's been pushed back from "early" to the "first half"--I'm hoping that means we see an SDK available to developers in January, since we're too close to the holiday hubbub to see that yet--and devices for both GSM and CDMA carriers by June. Knock on wood.

    At least for a while, there'll be 3 device lines (according to Palm's conference calls): the Treo line, running WinMob; the Centro line, running Garnet; and the as-yet-unnamed-device line, running Nova (or whatever the final name for Nova is, since that's just a code name). I predict that eventually--2010, maybe later--we'll see the Centro line run Nova as well to streamline costs, even if it's downplayed in marketing and they keep the features and maybe form factors different.

    2) While Nova's stated target market is the "prosumer," there have been enough Palm OS enterprise deployments that some of them may well opt for Nova devices. There's a good editorial over at Brighthand (called "There Can Be More Than One"--I'm having Highlander flashbacks!) about how there's not likely to be one operating system that will dominate the market and that it's the exception rather than the rule to see that in the PC/Mac space.

    I remember saying somewhere that the design of the Pro is too close to the Centro to make a Garnet version cost-effective. In other words, imagine that Palm sets out to make a Garnet device with the Pro form factor. You'd have to take out the 3G and WiFi; probably the GPS too (I haven't seen anything one way or the other on whether Garnet could support the combination of GPS and phone). What features are left that differentiate this device from the Centro? From a marketing standpoint, the flush screen isn't enough. While some of us here might like to see it and might like to buy one, they'd need to differentiate it more for a carrier to pick it up. (Of course, for all we know this was one of the models Rubinstein axed, as described in the New York Times article when the Pro launched--and if so, I'm sure his reasoning was along the same lines.)
    Last edited by Q; 10/04/2008 at 03:22 PM.
  5. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #5  
    Good points all.

    From a different perspective though, you can kinda achieve wwhat you want using StyleTap. It is a software that runs on Windows mobile but that actually simulates a PAlm OS environment and many native Palm OS apps can run in this environment. So in a sense today is possible to have the Treo Pro with Palm OS I a way... not the perfect or most elegant solution but is something to ponder about...
  6. #6  
    2 words:

    NO HOPE.
  7. #7  
    I don't know how it's implemented... but you can use a GPS with the 755p. My friend has a key fob that connects via blue tooth to the phone automatically. There is software also.

    Basically, it gives you driving directions and walking directions just like any other stand alone GPS. It shows you exactly where you are and there is the capability to automatically look up services. Also, it scales to a range that is suitable for walking pace vs. driving speeds.

    I think it was a "spendy" add-on, though. Totaled around a hundred bucks... but it works well.
  8. #8  
    GPS for all Palm OS has been around for a long time. I used it throughout Europe on a 7 week trip 4 years ago. It is awesome.
    Get it from Tom Tom
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by btvdan View Post
    I don't know how it's implemented... but you can use a GPS with the 755p. My friend has a key fob that connects via blue tooth to the phone automatically. There is software also.

    Basically, it gives you driving directions and walking directions just like any other stand alone GPS. It shows you exactly where you are and there is the capability to automatically look up services. Also, it scales to a range that is suitable for walking pace vs. driving speeds.

    I think it was a "spendy" add-on, though. Totaled around a hundred bucks... but it works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    GPS for all Palm OS has been around for a long time. I used it throughout Europe on a 7 week trip 4 years ago. It is awesome.
    Get it from Tom Tom
    An external GPS chip is different than internal. I believe the Palm OS can only handle two radios at once, which is why these devices only support cellular and bluetooth.
  10. #10  
    I have a Treo 680 (I am married to Palm PIM with over 10 years of data and ease of use) and a Treo 750. I would love to "merge" these two onto Treo Pro. The only show stopper is Palm PIM - can not live without it. Has anyone tried to run StyleTab with Palm PIM (it is the Palm version of PIM, not any third party PIM that is Palm OS based)

    I have asked this question to StyleTab via email, got no answer so far...

    Please Help!

    Thanks
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    2 words:

    NO HOPE.
    Unless Palm comes out with a new version.. which is HIGHLY unlikely


    I guess it doesnt make business sense to palm to heavily invest in a new OS when they can license WM instead..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?

Posting Permissions