1.    #1  
    Here's a list of all pre-installed software on the Treo Pro, plus my initial comments on each.

• Bubble Breaker: A simple little game
    • Solitare. Fairly spartan implementation.
    • Calculator: Really basic; doesn't seem to have any scientific modes like Palm's does.
    • Calendar: The Microsoft calendar app.
    • Camera: A lot like the one on other Treos, but has some extra options, takes better images/video, etc. Still no replacement for a real digital camera, but that's a hardware issue rather than a software one.
    • Comm manager: A little application for turning on/off airplane mode, the phone, bluetooth, wifi, Direct Push (email push), and the data connection (edge, etc.)
    • Contacts: Designed to work with Exchange, but OK standalone.
    • File Explorer: A lot like the Windows desktop file explorer; the phone has a normal file system, unlike Palm OS.
    • Get WorldMate: Link to download WorldMate; not the real application.
    • Google Maps: The version installed is not the latest, so you'll want to upgrade.
    • Internet Explorer: Passable for browsing; haven't tried Opera Mini, etc. yet but expect I will.
    • Internet Proxy: Used for setting Internet Explorer proxy server settings.
    • Internet Sharing: I haven't played with this, but it's supposed to enable the PC to use the phone's connection.
    • Java: For running Java applets.
    • Messaging: Used for SMS/MMS and to set up email.
    • Messenger: Windows Live Messenger.
    • My Treo: For registering the device and configuring email, Wifi, Bluetooth. Also has links to support.
    • Notes: Like the Palm notepad utility. On calls, it lets you create a note which is a nice touch.
    • Pictures & Videos: Looks fairly basic picture/video viewer; haven't explored much.
    • Office Mobile: Mini-versions of Word, Excel, etc.
    • Quick Tour: Just like it says. The first time I ran it, it was fine. Then it got interrupted, and something happened so that the top was obscured with the name of the program / battery level / etc. Shutting down all other programs seemed to fix it, but I don't know what happened. (Still learning Win Mobile.)
    • QuickGPS: Used to download GPS satellite positions so they don't have to be received over the air; should make GPS get a location fix faster.
    • Remote Desktop Mobile: Supposed to let you access your PC remotely. Haven't tried.
    • Search: Searches device for info.
    • SIM Manager: Nothing special here, just the usual GSM SIM stuff.
    • Sounds: For managing ring tones, etc.
    • Sprite Backup: Backup utility. The backup process involves resetting the device, doing the backup, and resetting again. It seems fine, but I haven't tried a restore yet.
    • Streaming Media: Not sure what kind of files this is supposed to play and how it's different from Microsoft's media player.
    • Tasks: What you'd expect.
    • TeleNav: The program is just a 30-day demo; after that there's a monthly fee. From what people are saying, it also appears to be on-line only, making its value dubious (e.g., when travelling overseas data is incredibly expensive).
    • Windows Live: Haven't tried this. Seems duplicative with the Messenger thing above.
    • Windows Media: For playing Windows Media files.

I'll post my experiences as I install programs over the next few days, and encourage others to do the same...
  2.    #2  
    The BART QuickPlanner [San Francisco area train schedules] works fine.
    Chronos [Alarm application] also seems to work fine.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    [*]Google Maps: The version installed is not the latest, so you'll want to upgrade.
    Good point. My Google Maps (v 2.1.0.10) doesn't seem to have an 'upgrade' link on the menu.

I've gone to Google Maps on my PC, which doesn't state what the current version should be. I entered my mobile number and received a link by text, will that recognise and automatically overwrite the old version?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    It seems that installing the new Google Maps does replace the preinstalled one - at least that's how it appears. Beware, though - if you follow the normal install directions you'll get the Java version. What you want instead is http://www.google.com/gmm/GoogleMaps.CAB
    Last edited by holmes4; 10/04/2008 at 09:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Why don't I want the Java version?
    Face Contact works like a charm!
    Why use Java unless you have to.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The Java version doesn't support the GPS.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The Java version doesn't support the GPS.
    Really? They don't tell you that. Mind you, they don't tell you much - like what the latest version is, so you know whether it's worth downloading it.

Thanks, Sherlock.
    Fizz Traveller works and YomoMedia.
    I'm still getting a few hiccups, especially when I try to add third party plug-ins to the Today Screen.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Thanks, Sherlock.
    Wrong holmes...
    Which version of Treo Alert Pro do you guys recommend?
  13.    #13  
    Chronos works OK, though the program's UI is so-so.

SPB Time v2.2.2 does not work properly. The buttons at the bottom of the screen are missing. It's possible to reach the stopwatch, etc. via the 5-way, but these are off-center and not really usable. Too bad!
    AEButtons works
    Just call me Berd.
    Has anyone done the 'Quick Tour'?
    On mine the top half of the text is cut off.
    No big deal, just courios.
  16.    #16  
    The QuickTour can get into a state where the top is obscured. Closing all applications fixed this for me, though I'm not sure why.
    This version works:

TCPMP new VS2008 builds for WM6.1 with FLV built in

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=380387
    Just call me Berd.
    I know this is old but got a Telus Palm Pro on May 10th and Google Maps that is installed is 2.3.0.9