Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Windows Mobile FAQ

There seems to be certain questions that no matter how many times you answer them they are asked again because the answers get lost amongst so many long threads that they are hard to find. If you are new to the world of Windows Mobile to the Treo 700w, then you might be pleasantly surprised that just about all of your initial questions have already been asked with great answers. I would recommend to do a search first before posting, this is good forum manners, and you will probably get your answer a lot faster. If you can’t find it by searching, then look here to see if it is answered. I hope this helps!

This is only the first draft so Please feel free to submit Questions and Answers to help Newbies and I will include them in this FAQ plus I am always open if you see any errors or have any better suggestions that might help.

It is too hard to navigate! I want my Palm back!
    Believe it or not it is just as easy to Navigate in WM as it is in Palm OS, once you get a little knowledge of the OS and some nifty little utilities:

WM Easy of Use / One Hand Tips Thread

I am new to WM and I want to know what the best resources on the net to find help, software, hardware, etc...
    Obviously if you are reading this, an obvious answer is TreoCentral!!!! But there are other resources maybe more specific. If I had to give only two links to answer this question it would be:

Best Sites for Windows Powered Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs, and Smartphones

Great "How To's" and Q&A's for just about everything

Here is another very good resource:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo700wverizon/

I cannot find the Delete button, or Copy or Paste in the edit menu, or...........!!!!!!!
    This is a common frustration for some newcomers to the WM world, until you how to look! If you cannot find the button or option that you know MUST be there, then Tap and Hold down with the stylus and there is a good chance a menu will pop up with several options for you with hopefully the one your looking for right on the top of the list! Think of it as right clicking on your WinXP desktop!

My 700w/wx only shows half the bars so it MUST have worse reception....
    Thanks ericshmerick for this great answer.....

For those of you who are concerned with the sometimes low "signal strength" bars on the 700wx, here is something to think about.

Signal strentgh bars are merely the OS's interepretation of the RSSI values the phone reports. RSSI is a numerical representation of the true strength of the signal. There *may* be a chance that the WM5 version on the 700wx is improperly reporting the RSSI values, thus making it appear your signal is lower than it actually is. Here is a way to determine the "true" signal strengh:

In the phone app (dial pad) do the following:

Dial ##DEBUG# (##33284#). This will bring up a list of data values. The number that represents the signal strength is the first value, the RSSI Value. In my house, I average a value of -92 or so, which is better than my 6700's value (usually -95 or so). This tells me the reception on the 700wx is better than the 6700.

I have read over and over that the reception on the 700wx is terrible, worse than the 700p, etc etc. If you feel this way, I reccommend following the above procedure to identify the "facts" before passing a judgement based on the bars. I think you will find the reception of the wx is equal if not better than other phones.

If the bars are reporting the RSSI values incorrectly, hopefully Palm/Microsoft will include a fix in the next software update. Until then, understand that bars aren't always everything!

Is it possible to download and install 3rd party software directly to the phone?
    AND......
    And how do I copy files to my phone?

Yes you are able to install programs from your phone, if they make it available to do so in a CAB file. Basically whenever you want to install a software program, it will end in one of two ways FileName.EXE or FileName.CAB. If it is an EXE file then you must install it from your laptop / Desktop. If it is a CAB file, then you need to either download to your phone via their website, email attachment, etc... or copy it over to your phone with ActiveSync Explore (connect your phone to PC, open up ActiveSync. Click Explore. Open up Windows File Explorer. Then copy and paste or drag and drop as you any other file.)

I set my email accounts, but how do I get it to automatically download from my POP3 account?
    If you are logging in you obviously have your account info entered in correctly. Let's double check your settings for auto connecting to get your email......
    • Go into Accounts.
    • Tap on the comcast account.
    • Hit next until you get to the last screen where it has the Finish button.
    • Tap options.
    • Check "Connect and check for messages every:" and then type in 10 minutes below that.
    • Tap Next.
      Check "Outgoing email server requires authentication".
    • Check "Require SSL Connection".
    • I have "Only Display messages from the last ____ days" check and set to 4.
    • Tap next.
    • I have mine set to "Get Full copy of messages". That way I don't have to log on again to read the full thing.
    • Tap Finish.

How can I push my email to my Treo 700w?
    There are several ways, and there is no doubt there are those on this board who are more knowledgeable then me on the IT server side options. So please if you are one of those, please feel free to submit your solutions and I will add them into this FAQ.

But here are some options:

First of all if you have a POP account just follow the steps above and you can set your Treo to pull down emails automatically at set intervals.

If you OWA (Outlook Web Access) through your work then you have a couple options:

If the steps below do not work, a service like OneMail.togo at Onemail ToGo might not only be perfect but your only option. For as little as $2.50 a month you are able to download your emails if your work give you OWA website access to your MS Exchange email. No software is needed to install on your phone or on your computer. You simply set up a POP3 email account to the service and it pull all your emails down directly to your phone.

Try to set up your ActiveSync on your Treo to sync wirelessly with OWA. Here are the steps that has been posted:

If you are not allowed to sync with Active Directory at your work....like me!.....then here is a backdoor way of doing it with your home desktop!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=873875&postcount=2

Or try this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrosser
    You can use any number of redirectors (Verizon's own Wireless Sync works great), as long as the PC that's doing the redirecting is able to maintain a stable and persistent connection to your company network. I believe on the 700, there's a small installer app that will start you through the install process. You can also go to the Wireless Sync website -www.wirelesssync.vzw.com - and set it all up there. You'll have real time push capability for ALL your Exchange info, not just email. Calendar, contacts, tasks, notes - all of it PLUS email.

Also - if your company allows OWA access (which it seems they do), you can just use Exchange Active Sync on your 700w to get your mail. You won't have to use anything in between. Go to Active Sync on the 700 (Start/Programs/Active Sync) and hit the menu button. Select 'Add Server Source' - put in the same URL that you would use to access OWA from your PC when you're traveling. Follow the prompts to put in your domain user name and password, etc and you will be be set. You'll want to use an SMS trigger to get your device to have email pushed to you - here's the settings to use there:
    SMS settings (until AUTD comes out)

Set sync schedule to "as items arrive" in the schedule screen of ActiveSync.

Tap on "Set device up to sync when items arrive"

Service provider: Other

Text Messaging Address: 10digit-phone@vtext.com (i.e. 212-555-1212@vtext.com)
    Please always remember to verify your companies IT policies concerning email access.

Voice Commands sounds really cool....what can I say to verbally operate my phone?
    Thanks to ebadger, we now have a great reference to all the voice commands that you can use:

voice command cheat sheet.pdf

Where are the files kept in WM?
    Here is a great resource that lists folders with comments on a lot of them:

Windows Mobile 5.0 Directory Structure

How Can I Customize My Treo 700w Myself?
    This is on the coolest things about WM....the registry! It gives the user the opportunity to tweak their handheld to work exactly like they want it to. These are fun and cool and very useful, but please read the first post very carefully and take it to heart!

WM05 Registry Hacks

Where can I find software for WM?
    There is a WM Apps forum here at TC. That is the place to look. Here are some good threads:

Software For PPC
    Software Choices for WM03 & WM05
    Third-Party prog. THAT WORK on WM05!!
    Third-Party prog that DONOT work on WM05!!
    Software Coupon / Sales Thread

Please always try to verify if the program you want is compatible with WM05 and can run with a 240x240 square screen.

I want to use my phone for GPS, is this possible?
    Certainly it is and I personally encourage it! I have been using my for over a year now and will never have a phone that I cannot do it with! Check it out:

Add GPS, you won't regret it if you travel....

When I plug in the charger/sync chord, my computer is constantly making loud noises. It seems as though it's constantly syncing. I miss my 600, where I would have to push a button to sync. Is this possible?
    Yes it is very possible that is happening. There are three settings for Sync:
    • Continously -- Whenever anything changes with any of the items you have selected to sync...email, contacts, Splash ID, tasks, favorites, files, etc...it will sync immediately.
    • On Connection -- Only when you set it in the cradle. This is the one I use because there is always so much going on and being updated on my laptop that it was driving me crazy syncing every 45 seconds and slowing down my laptop.
    • Manually -- You have to start it, but either right clicking on the icon in the tray on your desktop, via the handheld, or from ActiveSync itself.
    In order to change this setting to the one you want right click on ActiveSync in the tray on your desktop>>Click Open>>Schedule>>and select your setting. Please note that your phone cannot be actively syncing or you will not be able to access or change any settings.

I would also encourage you to then click on Sync Options tab and unselect anything that you don't care about Syncing. For example, I so rarely use tasks that I have it unselected. This will speed up your sync time with only syncing the items that you really use.

Here is another possible solution that help if you have problems being able to access the sync options because they are greyed out:

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. open up activesync on your treo
    2. Click on menu (right soft key)
    3. select "add server source"
    4. put anything in the server address field i.e. the letter "f" click next
    5. put the same thing in the username, password, and domain
    6. click advanced, then under the "If there is a conflict" select "keep the item on my device", click next
    7. under "choose the data you want to synchronize" uncheck everything, click finish!

Now you have the fake exchange server set up, now click on menu and the schedule option will be there, click on schedule and then you can choose to sync manually or another time of your choosing!

Now you need to get rid of the exhange server so,
    1. click menu, then options, then highlight the exchange server and then click delete. That will get rid of the exchange server, but it will still keep the sync settings that you just set up!

I am migrating from a Palm OS device, how do I get all my contacts, tasks, and other PIM information from my old Palm to the Treo 700w WM05?
    This is an easy one. Simply sync your old Palm device to Outlook. Then sync your new Treo 700w to Outlook and you are done.

How can I save battery life to make it last longer during the day?
    As with any phone...how long the battery will in a day depends on how you use it. If you are running BT, automatically checking your email every 10 min, with Vision connected so you can constantly browse the net, the screen on full bright, all while talking to your girlfriend for 185 minutes....then Yes the power is going to suck......as it would with ANY PHONE..

Here are some helpful tips:
    • Have a car charger and top it off while picking up lunch mid-day.
    • Have a spare wall charger at work to plug in when convenient or necessary.
    • Have at least one spare battery on had....and charged. Since I travel a lot I actually have 4 spare batteries.
    • Turn off IR. Turn off BT when not using it.
    • Reduce the frequency of all programs that connect to data plan to download information. For example don’t update your Weather program every hour, but instead just once a day.
    • Turn the screen brightness down. I usually always keep mine one notch above off.

I want really Loud Ringtones, Alarms, or System Sounds!
    If these to be louder after you have already turned up the volume all the way, then you need to make the sound file itself louder. Below is a link to a thread with two free programs that will give the opportunity to convert any sound file you need to and to increase it’s volume.

I have also already increased the volume in a lot of sound files and uploaded a whole col
    lection for you to use.

Loud Ringtones!!!!!!

What are the Dial Codes for the 700w?
    Please be warned that these codes can very dangerous to your phone. If you do not know what they are, I would strongly reccomend not to play with them.

#*#33284 Radio debug info
    #*#774 PRI screen
    #*#56672225 Loopback menu
    #*#7738 PREV Menu
    #*#3424 Diag mode screen (Requires your device to reset first)
    #*#83843733 Tethered Mode

If you are with Sprint and you did not write down your MSL# when you activated the phone, then you will need to call them and get it from them.

(thanks Big Calhoun for sending them to me)

So if the memory card and an add-on SD WIFI Card both need a SD slot, do I have to choose one or the other?
    Yup....and that is the crux of the whole debate for including WIFI in the phone or only supporting a WIFI card at the expense of the SD memory card and all the programs installed on it, extra available cache room, extra space to store email attachments, etc....

Also, only have WIFI support for a WIFI card because not havi
    ng built in WIFI also forces you to load more programs into main memory reducing the amount of available memory to run your programs, multi task, cache, etc... Because any program you will need to use online with the WIFI card cannot be installed on the SD Card.
  2.    #2  
    Added this Q&A:

Is it possible to download and install 3rd party software directly to the phone?
    AND......
    And how do I copy files to my phone?

Yes you are able to install programs from your phone, if they make it available to do so in a CAB file. Basically whenever you want to install a software program, it will end in one of two ways FileName.EXE or FileName.CAB. If it is an EXE file then you must install it from your laptop / Desktop. If it is a CAB file, then you need to either download to your phone via their website, email attachment, etc... or copy it over to your phone with ActiveSync Explore (connect your phone to PC, open up ActiveSync. Click Explore. Open up Windows File Explorer. Then copy and paste or drag and drop as you any other file.)
  3.    #3  
    Added the following Q&A:

I cannot find the Delete button, or Copy or Paste in the edit menu, or...........!!!!!!!
    This is a common frustration for some newcomers to the WM world, until you how to look! If you cannot find the button or option that you know MUST be there, then Tap and Hold down with the stylus and there is a good chance a menu will pop up with several options for you with hopefully the one your looking for right on the top of the list! Think of it as right clicking on your WinXP desktop!
  4.    #4  
    Added the following Q&A:

I am new to WM and I want to know what the best resources on the net to find help, software, hardware, etc...
    Obviously if you are reading this, an obvious answer is TreoCentral!!!! But there are other resources maybe more specific. If I had to give only one link to answer this question it would be:

Best Sites for Windows Powered Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs, and Smartphones
    I must add again this link is probably the one best source for WM websites I have ever seen! This is one to bookmark WITHOUT FAIL!!!!!!!!!
  5.    #5  
    Added the following Q&A:

Where are the files kept in WM?
    Here is a great resource that lists folders with comments on a lot of them:

Windows Mobile 5.0 Directory Structure
  6.    #6  
    Thanks nikolasmor...I just added it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolasmor
    Good Download FAQ and Support Website
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo700wverizon/
  7.    #7  
    Added the following to the AvticeSync question:

Here is another possible solution that help if you have problems being able to access the sync options because they are greyed out:

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. open up activesync on your treo
    2. Click on menu (right soft key)
    3. select "add server source"
    4. put anything in the server address field i.e. the letter "f" click next
    5. put the same thing in the username, password, and domain
    6. click advanced, then under the "If there is a conflict" select "keep the item on my device", click next
    7. under "choose the data you want to synchronize" uncheck everything, click finish!

Now you have the fake exchange server set up, now click on menu and the schedule option will be there, click on schedule and then you can choose to sync manually or another time of your choosing!

Now you need to get rid of the exhange server so,
    1. click menu, then options, then highlight the exchange server and then click delete. That will get rid of the exchange server, but it will still keep the sync settings that you just set up!
  8.    #8  
    Just added:

Voice Commands sounds really cool....what can I say to verbally operate my phone?
    Thanks to ebadger, we now have a great reference to all the voice commands that you can use:

voice command cheat sheet.pdf
  9.    #9  
    Added the following to the OWA email access section:

If the steps below do not work, a service like OneMail.togo at http://www.onemailtogo.com/ might not only be perfect but your only option. For as little as $2.50 a month you are able to download your emails if your work give you OWA website access to your MS Exchange email. No software is needed to install on your phone or on your computer. You simply set up a POP3 email account to the service and it pull all your emails down directly to your phone.
    Please always remember to verify your companies IT policies concerning email access.
    Is there a keypress shortcut to lock the phone? I like to have a 1 hour or 30 minute idle auto-lock of the device, but sometimes I want to lock it right now. I've not found a way to do it yet, but I am sure it exists..
  11.    #11  
    I just added the following Q&A:

What are the Dial Codes for the 700w?
    Please be warned that these codes can very dangerous to your phone. If you do not know what they are, I would strongly reccomend not to play with them.

#*#33284 Radio debug info
    #*#774 PRI screen
    #*#56672225 Loopback menu
    #*#7738 PREV Menu
    #*#3424 Diag mode screen (Requires your device to reset first)
    #*#83843733 Tethered Mode

If you are with Sprint and you did not write down your MSL# when you activated the phone, then you will need to call them and get it from them.

(thanks Big Calhoun for sending them to me)
    What is VZ's MSL#.....I forget, is it all Zeros?
    I use my PPC-6700 with a Mac and so installing the .exe files is not possible The solution is to use File Juicer to extract the files and then locate the cab file and I bluetooth it to the 6700. I do not even use Activesync and do not miss it one bit. Now if a Mac version of an sync client for WM5 were to appear I may try it but to my knowledge none exists now.
    how do i add voice to contacts,
    i been searching all over to add voice commands to various functions but not luck help if you can or point me to a link
    TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by chaozz
    how do i add voice to contacts,
    i been searching all over to add voice commands to various functions but not luck help if you can or point me to a link
    TIA
    If you are trying to call someone in your Contacts list, Voice Command will already do this. Simply activate Voice Command, then speak the command: "Call <contact name> on Mobile," for example. Voice Command will then reply with a confirmation, if it is set up to do so.
    Take a look at the Voice Command cheat sheet for tips on using Voice Command. Definitely a useful thing to keep handy if you're new to it.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=104308
    In regards to the thread " I set my email accounts, but how do I get it to automatically download from my POP3 account?"

I have filled in all the next next screens but when it tries to log in it bounces me back to the user name/password domain page.

Is there a thread or resource where I can check that I have filled in all my screens correctly for a yahoo email account. Not sure if I have server information and domain info correct?

Thanks
  17.    #17  
    I just added this really great site that should be a must have link for anyone new to the PPC world:

Great "How To's" and Q&A's for just about everything
    hey how come i cant run internet exporer and agile messenger at the same time.Everytime i try one stops.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curly2004
    hey how come i cant run internet exporer and agile messenger at the same time.Everytime i try one stops.
    It's a bug in the new Update.
    Here's a workaround fix:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112649
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    What's the difference between these?:

Microsoft® Windows Mobile(TM) 2003 software - Phone Edition

Microsoft® Windows Mobile(TM) 5.0 Pocket PC Edition

Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0

Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ Smartphone

Is one better than the other?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast