Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    For those of you who are concerned with the sometimes low "signal strength" bars on the 700wx, here is something to think about.

Signal strentgh bars are merely the OS's interepretation of the RSSI values the phone reports. RSSI is a numerical representation of the true strength of the signal. There *may* be a chance that the WM5 version on the 700wx is improperly reporting the RSSI values, thus making it appear your signal is lower than it actually is. Here is a way to determine the "true" signal strengh:

In the phone app (dial pad) do the following:

Dial ##DEBUG# (##33284#). This will bring up a list of data values. The number that represents the signal strength is the first value, the RSSI Value. In my house, I average a value of -92 or so, which is better than my 6700's value (usually -95 or so). This tells me the reception on the 700wx is better than the 6700.

I have read over and over that the reception on the 700wx is terrible, worse than the 700p, etc etc. If you feel this way, I reccommend following the above procedure to identify the "facts" before passing a judgement based on the bars. I think you will find the reception of the wx is equal if not better than other phones.

If the bars are reporting the RSSI values incorrectly, hopefully Palm/Microsoft will include a fix in the next software update. Until then, understand that bars aren't always everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    For those of you who are concerned with the sometimes low "signal strength" bars on the 700wx, here is something to think about.

Signal strentgh bars are merely the OS's interepretation of the RSSI values the phone reports. RSSI is a numerical representation of the true strength of the signal. There *may* be a chance that the WM5 version on the 700wx is improperly reporting the RSSI values, thus making it appear your signal is lower than it actually is. Here is a way to determine the "true" signal strengh:

In the phone app (dial pad) do the following:

Dial ##DEBUG# (##33284#). This will bring up a list of data values. The number that represents the signal strength is the first value, the RSSI Value. In my house, I average a value of -92 or so, which is better than my 6700's value (usually -95 or so). This tells me the reception on the 700wx is better than the 6700.

I have read over and over that the reception on the 700wx is terrible, worse than the 700p, etc etc. If you feel this way, I reccommend following the above procedure to identify the "facts" before passing a judgement based on the bars. I think you will find the reception of the wx is equal if not better than other phones.

If the bars are reporting the RSSI values incorrectly, hopefully Palm/Microsoft will include a fix in the next software update. Until then, understand that bars aren't always everything!
    I'm getting 1-2 bar(s) and RSSI between -84 and -88. BTW, RSSI is under 1X SETTINGS. Isn't RSSI just the energy and not necessarily the quality?

Under EVDO SETTINGS I'm getting Rcve sig strenght 73 with power 90
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    For those of you who are concerned with the sometimes low "signal strength" bars on the 700wx, here is something to think about...........
    I have seen this question come up several times in multiple threads....Thanks for the great explanation. I just added it in the OP FAQ.
    I transferred a mid I wanted to use as a ringtone through the Treo My Documents folder.. Once in there, I used file explorer, right clicked and selected Make Ringtone.. It added the file to the ringtone manager which was great.. HOWEVER it also copied the file to Windows\rings directory ont he treo.

Then, I beamed over some MID files for ringtones. These went right to the SD card and were placed in ringtonwe manager but did NOT take up valuable space ont he device memory.

What I am asking is how do you add a ringtone.. weather it be a MID or MP3 that is stored ont he STORAGE card WITHOUT it being xferred to the windows\rings directory on the actual device???

Thanks
    Mike
  5.    #25  
    check the Reg Hack thread linked in the OP and you will see a hack to change the default ringtone directory to any location you want.
    What is the OP?

I checked and can not find any mention of this hack.

Mike
  7.    #27  
    Original Post....aka the first post that starts a thread.

How Can I Customize My Treo 700w Myself?
    This is on the coolest things about WM....the registry! It gives the user the opportunity to tweak their handheld to work exactly like they want it to. These are fun and cool and very useful, but please read the first post very carefully and take it to heart!

WM05 Registry Hacks
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    What's the difference between these?:

Microsoft® Windows Mobile(TM) 2003 software - Phone Edition

Microsoft® Windows Mobile(TM) 5.0 Pocket PC Edition

Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0

Microsoft® Windows Mobile Smartphone

Is one better than the other?
    <bump please >
    Just call me Berd.
    Starting from WM2003

(Before "Windows Mobile" there was "Pocket PC." Back then, a pocketPC referred to both the hardware and the software... similar to how a palm device runs palm OS. When MS started to branch out to phones, they renamed the software/OS to "windows mobile", but the term "pocket pc" or "ppc" is still often used to refer to the hardware.)

WM2003 - Windows Mobile 2003 - OS for use on pocket PC's. The 3rd release of the PocketPC platform (aka windows mobile platform)

WM2003 PE (Phone Edition) - OS for use on pocket PC's that also happen to be mobile phones. The same as WM2003 with added support for mobile phone handsets.

WM2003SE -Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition - An OS upgrade from WM 2003. This is the 4th release of the PocketPC platform (now known as windows mobile.)

WM 2003SE PE (Phone Edition) - is to The same as WM2003SE with added support for mobile phone handsets.

WM5 - Windows Mobile 5. 5th release of the Windows Mobile platform. Some call this "Windows Mobile 2005." Microsoft hasn't been consistant with version numbers since the old DOS days.

WM5 comes in 4 flavors:

PPC edition (For pocket PC's. The baseline of all other flavors)

PPC Deluxe edition (same as PPC edition, adds powerpoint, and some other apps)

Phone Edition (same as PPC Deluxe, added support for mobile phone handsets)

SmartPhone edition (a "lite" version of the phone edition - removes several apps, touchscreen support, etc. Some apps are slightly different to support the lack of touchscreen.)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_d View Post
    ...clip...
    WM5 comes in 4 flavors:

PPC edition (For pocket PC's. The baseline of all other flavors)

PPC Deluxe edition (same as PPC edition, adds powerpoint, and some other apps)

Phone Edition (same as PPC Deluxe, added support for mobile phone handsets)

SmartPhone edition (a "lite" version of the phone edition - removes several apps, touchscreen support, etc. Some apps are slightly different to support the lack of touchscreen.)
    So,
    Windows Mobile 5.0
    Pocket PC Phone Edition
    Sounds like the best WM so far,
    Correct?

I also read somewhere that some versions of WM don't let you edit Ms Office Documents, like word and excel. That wouldn't be the case w/ WM 5.0 Pkt PC PE correct?

Oh by-the-way Thanks!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I also read somewhere that some versions of WM don't let you edit Ms Office Documents, like word and excel. That wouldn't be the case w/ WM 5.0 Pkt PC PE correct?

Oh by-the-way Thanks!
    Correct. ONLY the "Smartphone" edition (Moto Q, etc) cannot directly edit MS Office documents.

Also, don't forget the AKUs, which is the builds of each edition. Palm 700wx runs WM5 AKU 2.2.1.

Latest AKU build is 3.2. These are like service-pack updates but are done via the provider instead of direct to the consumer.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    I transferred a mid I wanted to use as a ringtone through the Treo My Documents folder.. Once in there, I used file explorer, right clicked and selected Make Ringtone.. It added the file to the ringtone manager which was great.. HOWEVER it also copied the file to Windows\rings directory ont he treo.

I've got a similar issue. Downloaded a midi file I'd like to use as a ringtone - but can't seem to find anywhere on the 700W to put it that the 700W "finds" it.

Tried the above - no "make ringtone" pick I'm seeing .....

Jeff
    gary_d, Malatesta, berdinkerdickle,

Thanks for your insights. Thought I'd let you know your material was used to complete a wiki article at http://wiki.treocentral.com/index.ph...Windows_Mobile . Feel free to update/correct as needed.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    This is a great post. I've been asking the same question all over the place regarding the key-guard of the 700wx and how it differs from the 700p. The 700p allows two options for disabling the touchscreen, one for during a call and the other for when incoming calls are received. This is listed on page 299 of the manual (http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...psprint_UG.pdf)
    Unfortunately, the 700wx only seems to have one option which is disabling the touchscreen during a call. Page 290 of the manual (http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...xsprint_UG.pdf)
    Is there any application that can be used to fix or work around this problem?
    I keep on answering my Treo before I take it out of my holster and its driving me crazy, especially because outside of that I think this is one of the best phones on the market.

Thanks
    how do I Disable the Touchscreen call answer function?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131454
    I asked this question earlier but did not get any answer. So trying again.

How do I make my Treo750 display the cellsite location on the screen? I was previously using a Nokia handset which used to display it. I am using the same SIM card now in the Treo. It just displays the carrier name but not the location.
    I have a question when i try to link my e mail to the internet i get a message the file operalaunch cannot be opened. either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found. I made the mistake and made opera my default on WM6. I deleted it then installed again and did not make it my default but i still get same message.

Fred
    Still have this problem opening a link in my e mail that operalaunnch cannot be opened any one have suggestions started happining when i installed WM6

Fred
    Ok so mp3s work fine as ring tones, when i go to the sounds & notification setting the MID files that came on the treo will play but the mp3s wont play in media player. The song is clearly playin the bar is moving but there is no sound.
    I am migrating from a Palm OS device, how do I get all my contacts, tasks, and other PIM information from my old Palm to the Treo 700w WM05?
    This is an easy one. Simply sync your old Palm device to Outlook. Then sync your new Treo 700w to Outlook and you are done.
    That's great, but what if you don't want to use Outlook?

I found a plug-in that will allow you to save info from your Palm Desktop calendar in iCalendar format (*.ics), which you can then import into other calendar applications (such as Mozilla Sunbird). You can use FinchSync to sync the Sunbird data to your Calendar app on the WM device.

The plug-in is Dimex: http://linkesoft.com/dimex/order.html
    FinchSync is available here: http://www.finchsync.com/index.html

I also found a Palm OS emulator, so if you have Palm OS programs that you can't do without (or don't want to pay to switch licenses to WM until the next version upgrade), you can still run them.

The emulator is StyleTap: http://styletap.com/

Hope this helps....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast