1.    #1  
    I know you can sync over Wlan, but I have WiFi (Regular Blue Linksys Router). Can you sync active sync via it so you can sync anywhere in your home? Or better yet is it possible to set up an exchange server? Is it hard. I want to keep my outlook contacts and calendar synced. I am also running Vista and Outlook 2007

Thanks
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    You probably want hosted exchange. It's fairly cheap, ranging from free to $20 a month, typically (in my experience you get what you pay for in hosted exchange providers). It would probably beat running your own, unless you're really up for the learning experience, keeping up with security patches, and your ISP doesn't mind you running an Exchange server on their network. It may only be for one user, but I can just imagine that conversation.

There used to be a way to sync over Wifi on the 6700/Apache. I don't remember if it was a Verizon thing, an HTC thing, a Windows Mobile thing, or a total hack, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    You probably want hosted exchange. It's fairly cheap, ranging from free to $20 a month, typically (in my experience you get what you pay for in hosted exchange providers). It would probably beat running your own, unless you're really up for the learning experience, keeping up with security patches, and your ISP doesn't mind you running an Exchange server on their network. It may only be for one user, but I can just imagine that conversation.

There used to be a way to sync over Wifi on the 6700/Apache. I don't remember if it was a Verizon thing, an HTC thing, a Windows Mobile thing, or a total hack, though.

Microsoft actually took out desktop syncing with activesync over WiFi a few years ago. Kind weird.

However, you can certainly sync to an exchange server over wifi with no problem at all.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    If you want wireless syncing, why not use Bluetooth. I perform all my syncs via BT. The only issue is, you have to be in range of the BT receiver.
  5.    #5  
    exactly you got to be in range
    Depends on how big your house is though. I hav a decent sized house & my PC is in the family room & I can sync in my room, which is upstairs. The basement is a no go, probably due to the flourescent lights. Just look for a good BT adapter.
    active sync version 3.8 has the ability built in. I think that was the version of active sync that was out just before the 700w was released. we used to do it with the ipaqs back in the day. good luck.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I believe sync is disabled over WiFi based on security concerns. Wasn't that discussed on one of the recent WMExperts podcasts?

Todd