Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If anyone with 800W and Airave would like to test an experiment I am trying to confirm, check you 800wGPS function while in Airave range. None of our 800ws will acquire GPS while in Airave range. A coworker 800W as well and after I opened my airave to all numbers hers would not work while visiting.

I would be interested in anyone else with airave and 800w checking this.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'll see what I can do. I'll get home from work at about 1am so I'm sure I'll forget to do this but If I remember I'll post.
    You have to locate your Airave close to a window so that the Airave can see GPS satellites for the GPS function on your 800w to work. If your GPS LED on the Airave is not blue then you don't have a signal. You will need to relocate it or purchase an external GPS antenna. All of this is explained in the instructions.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You have to locate your Airave close to a window so that the Airave can see GPS satellites for the GPS function on your 800w to work. If your GPS LED on the Airave is not blue then you don't have a signal. You will need to relocate it or purchase an external GPS antenna. All of this is explained in the instructions.
    Will an airave even work if it doesn't have a GPS connection?

He's looking to see if the GPS information is passed along to your PHONE while connected to an Airave. It would make sense for it to NOT pass the GPS info to the phone thus making aGPS unavailable.

The Airave does get a GPS fix to verify valid location, but would have to rebroadcast that info back out to a connected phone like a regular cell tower. Since there is no absolute location for where all of these airaves are located like a central database or something, who knows where they are. This could be a great way to commit crimes and make your cell calls untraceable. I bet we see a CSI/Law and Order episode about this in a few months or something.

And knowing Sprint and Samsung, they do some pretty dumb things, and I'm pretty sure they didn't think of having it do this. Which means that it would also not work for 911 location. But I'll test it when I get home.
    Maybe I misunderstood. All I know is that the GPS on my 800w works fine while connected to my Airave. Maybe that is because I can still get a EVDO rev A connection to power vision from my house?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    The GPS functions on the Treo 800w do not work for me when I am connected to my Airave.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    we are looking at a different issue, not if the airave works, but if the 800w works no within range of the airave.

FYI the airave itself does not need a gps sat fix. it will work without one if it can get a Sprint tower. It needs to find its rough location either via tower or sat. I know this for a fact because we have a couple one of which is placed where it cannot conceivably be picking up a sat and is using no external antenna, but gets a decent tower signal.

Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    The GPS functions on the Treo 800w do not work for me when I am connected to my Airave.
    Same here. I can get none of several 800Ws' aGPS to work at all when they are on airave.

Maybe I misunderstood. All I know is that the GPS on my 800w works fine while connected to my Airave. Maybe that is because I can still get a EVDO rev A connection to power vision from my house?
    Thanks. could you try this with a soft reset? It is not what I am getting. I get evdo but no rev a.
    What on earth is with people and their conspiracy theories involving the Airave's GPS? Its there because all CDMA base stations require one for synchronization. Since CDMA requires all of the stations to be in sync, the GPS signal is used as a master sync signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Thanks. could you try this with a soft reset? It is not what I am getting. I get evdo but no rev a.
    Yep, tried soft reset, dailed *99 and got message that I am connected to airave, then fired up the GPS. Works faster than it did before I got the airave.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by techfury90 View Post
    What on earth is with people and their conspiracy theories involving the Airave's GPS? Its there because all CDMA base stations require one for synchronization. Since CDMA requires all of the stations to be in sync, the GPS signal is used as a master sync signal.
    What conspiracy theories are you talking about? (Ironically the attributing of conspiracy theorizes to people who haven't voiced one is itself closer to a conspiracy theory.)

The airwave's GPS light does not require a gps sat signal. The airave GPS light will light from either contact with a satellite or contact with a CDMA tower. You can confirm this yourself by placing an airave in a location with a good tower signal and no hope of a gps sat signal in deep basement with no windows and no use of GPS antenna, and see that the airave works.

The issue I raised was concerning the inability of some of of the user's here to get GPS to function the 800w when under airave coverage. Mine won't and some others wont, and some will.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Yep, tried soft reset, dailed *99 and got message that I am connected to airave, then fired up the GPS. Works faster than it did before I got the airave.
    Are you using the external (plug in) GPS antenna?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    What conspiracy theories are you talking about? (Ironically the attributing of conspiracy theorizes to people who haven't voiced one is itself closer to a conspiracy theory.)

The airwave's GPS light does not require a gps sat signal. The airave GPS light will light from either contact with a satellite or contact with a CDMA tower. You can confirm this yourself by placing an airave in a location with a good tower signal and no hope of a gps sat signal in deep basement with no windows and no use of GPS antenna, and see that the airave works.

The issue I raised was concerning the inability of some of of the user's here to get GPS to function the 800w when under airave coverage. Mine won't and some others wont, and some will.
    Yeah, that's really my bad. I've just heard people going on about how its there to track where every airave is and stuff like that....
    Are you using the external (plug in) GPS antenna?
    Yes.

I figured since it was in the box, it could not hurt to use it.

I will try it tonight without it.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    From what I understand, the Airave's GPS is required for E911 services, which is mandatory by law. The unit does acquire signal from GPS satellites, and maybe uses aGPS as well, otherwise, why would they include an external GPS antenna?

As for acquiring GPS satellites while connected to the Airave. I have no problems using my GPS inside my house, while connected to the Airave. I never paid attention to whether GPS acquisition was faster with or without the Airave.

If you're having issues, did you enable Rev.A?
    E911 is another use for the GPS antenna, but the CDMA system needs GPS anyway for proper synchronization. All CDMA towers have a small GPS antenna on them, even did before E911.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    So here's my results..

Airave fully connected all lights blue
    800w connected to Airave verified by *99
    No GPS signal acquired inside, outside north or outside south of my house
    (Tried obtaining fix via Google Maps, GPSToday, and ##477)

As I travel down the street away from my house and leave Airave Coverage, I can quickly acquire a GPS fix
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    From what I understand, the Airave's GPS is required for E911 services, which is mandatory by law. The unit does acquire signal from GPS satellites, and maybe uses aGPS as well, otherwise, why would they include an external GPS antenna?

As for acquiring GPS satellites while connected to the Airave. I have no problems using my GPS inside my house, while connected to the Airave. I never paid attention to whether GPS acquisition was faster with or without the Airave.

Eddie, what airave uses to get its gps light is an interesting side discussion. As far as the external antenna is concenred this and the GPS are for areas with no tower whatsoever. But the GPS light will light and the airave will function fine without satelite GPS connection if a signal can be obtained from a tower. So Airave needs either a GPS sat or a tower. They are also pushing a number of changes to airaves firmware settings the last couple of weeks. I noticed (and I don't know if it is coincidence) problems with aGPS in my house around same time as Sprint stopped allowing customers the ability to limit access to their airave accounts by phone number. [if you have an airave and had limited you can see this by going to your sprint account and checking your airave settings, if you had limited numbers it will now show that feature as off.]

In any case I don't know the reason for phenomena that is the main topic of the thread. I just know if I switch my airave off I have no trouble getting aGPS on the 800w, and if I switch it on I can no longer get aGPS in airave range.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpule View Post
    So here's my results..

Airave fully connected all lights blue
    800w connected to Airave verified by *99
    No GPS signal acquired inside, outside north or outside south of my house
    (Tried obtaining fix via Google Maps, GPSToday, and ##477)

As I travel down the street away from my house and leave Airave Coverage, I can quickly acquire a GPS fix
    Thanks Michael, I will ask Sprint about this.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post

I was under the impression the Airave did not support Rev A
  20.    #20  
    I was under the impression the Airave did not support Rev A
    It isn't really an issue since the aGPS will work, albeit with a longer TTFF with no data connection.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast