Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    But why doesn't the 800w GPS work when connected to an Airave?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    But why doesn't the 800w GPS work when connected to an Airave?
    Not sure why you and a few others are experiencing this. My GPS functions fine, while connected to the Airave and I believe I'm not the only one.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Not sure why you and a few others are experiencing this. My GPS functions fine, while connected to the Airave and I believe I'm not the only one.
    Yes mine works when the airave is getting its fix from the sats, but not when it is getting its fix from the towers.

I also feel Nowroozi is using GPS Sat and GPS tower interchangeably (* see below)

Observations (and please I invite anyone with airave who can find a place with no GPS but a couple of Sprint bars to try this!): One of the reasons why I checked with the airave people was because when I got my first airave my GPS on my Treo stopped in my same desk location where it had always worked.

My airave was the variable. it was in the basement. when I walked outside from inside and could get *99 confirm 800w GPS still did not work. If I switched off the airave 800 GPS worked.

If I moved the airave upstairs near a window where the airave could get a fix from the GPS on my 800w on my desk worked. It worked outside fine as well. I did this move with the airave several times and the results were consistent..

In the center of my basement where I have the airave I get three sprint bars and the area is absolutely GPS impossible.

Eddie, I appreciate your research, but I don't know why you would ask the second question, " Can the Unit function without acquiring GPS position?"
    GPS position can be gained by the towers. you just need two towers. Towers give gps position to handsets with sprint (in fact that is exaclty how e911 works indoors!)

Nowroozi misunderstands or mistates e911 requirements. As we all here know E911 does not have to rely on Sat GPS, e911 works indoors with no Sat GPS single at all! You only need two towers for e911. that is legally a perfectly good e911 -- two Towers and no sats. As far as handover that equally makes no sense.

I think Samsung and Sprint have a reason to be more than fuzzy about this. tricking the location establishment of the airave would open up all kinds of possibilities.

Again I would ask that anyone simply test whether their airave will work in an area of good sprint signal and no sat gps. mine does.
    Thanks aero. Please inform Sprint/Samsung of their error and demand an addendum. Or maybe you should write an addendum to their documention, since they appear to state their's is the most recently updated.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Thanks aero. Please inform Sprint/Samsung of their error and demand an addendum. Or maybe you should write an addendum to their documention, since they appear to state their's is the most recently updated.
    We have yet to see a correct documentation for GPS on towers vs sats from a variety of qualcomm users so I don't think they will bother.

In this case there are security issues they don't want to explain.

As I said you can see the results in the tests,
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234