Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    I was under the impression the Airave did not support Rev A
    It doesn't. The reason I asked was due to some people, including myself, would have GPS issuues if they enabled Rev.A.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    It doesn't. The reason I asked was due to some people, including myself, would have GPS issuues if they enabled Rev.A.
    I don't have it enabled and I get no gps function when on airave. I had some ideas as to why I and others aren't working on airave, but your getting while on airave flummoxes me. Any ideas other than rev a?
  3. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    It doesn't. The reason I asked was due to some people, including myself, would have GPS issuues if they enabled Rev.A.
    Are you saying there is some way to enable Rev A on the Airave? Do you have access to settings other than setting the phone numbers which have access (from the sprint web page)?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    If anyone with 800W and Airave would like to test an experiment I am trying to confirm, check you 800wGPS function while in Airave range. None of our 800ws will acquire GPS while in Airave range. A coworker 800W as well and after I opened my airave to all numbers hers would not work while visiting.

    I would be interested in anyone else with airave and 800w checking this.
    I'm in the family room at the moment, about 4' from the Airave and just performed the following test about 1 minute before typing this...
    1. Performed a soft reset on my 800w to make sure the device is FRESH.
    2. Dialed *99 and heard the confirmation that I'm connected to the Airave.
    3. Started Live Search, clicked on Map, and selected Center on GPS. After about 30 seconds or so, My location has been found.

    So YES, I do not have any problems using aGPS while being connected to my Airave. I have repeated these tests and produced the same results.

    I DO NOT have Rev.A enabled.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 10/05/2008 at 11:17 PM.
  5. #25  
    GPS seems to work fine for me while in Airave coverage.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I'm in the family room at the moment, about 4' from the Airave and just performed the following test about 1 minute before typing this...
    1. Performed a soft reset on my 800w to make sure the device is FRESH.
    2. Dialed *99 and heard the confirmation that I'm connected to the Airave.
    3. Started Live Search, clicked on Map, and selected Center on GPS. After about 30 seconds or so, My location has been found.

    So YES, I do not have any problems using aGPS while being connected to my Airave. I have repeated these tests and produced the same results.

    I DO NOT have Rev.A enabled.
    I just performed the same test and received the same positive results of establishing a aGPS position, while connected to the Airave.
  7. Kaerey's Avatar
    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #27  
    Are you connected to EVDO? If so, you are getting a data signal from that and NOT your Airave. From what I understand, the Airave only provides 1x coverage (it even says it on your sprint bill). But I remember reading that if an EVDO signal is available your data connection will actually come from a local tower and NOT the Airave.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  8. #28  
    That's why I performed a sot reset. But I'll perform the same tests again using Garmin and TomTom 7, with GPSGate. I know my results will be the same, because I've often used Garmin & TT7 while at the same spot.

    FYI, my house is just at max range from 2 Sprint antennas, so my signal strength was never the greatest in the house, which is 1 reason why I bought the Airave.

    Although I know what the results will be, I wll perform the same tests again later from different locations in the house, including positioning my 800w so that it touches the Airave. I'm sure I won't have any issues acquiring my GPS position, except probably when I'm in my basement. Too many flourescent lights there.
  9.    #29  
    Thanks for the tests Eddie.
    This is really strange. None of mine will work under airave, and I have tested a few 800W on two different airaves. I see two or three others who tested also could not get aGPS under airave.

    When I switch off my airave I can get aGPS, with airave on in the same location no amount of time gets me aGPS,

    Speculation as to cause?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Thanks for the tests Eddie.
    This is really strange. None of mine will work under airave, and I have tested a few 800W on two different airaves. I see two or three others who tested also could not get aGPS under airave.

    When I switch off my airave I can get aGPS, with airave on in the same location no amount of time gets me aGPS,

    Speculation as to cause?
    Not sure. What is the signal strength with the Airave turned off? I have the poorest reception in my house. I know I keep mentioning it, but do you have Rev.A checkbox enabled on your 800w? Mine has always been unchecked.

    FYI, I still get Rev.A speeds with/without the checkbox enabled, so I left it unchecked by default. Besides, the last time I enabled it, I lost GPS functionality, which is why I don't even bother with it anymore.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 10/06/2008 at 02:19 PM.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Not sure. What is the signal strength with the Airave turned off? I have the poorest reception in my house. I know I keep mentioning it, but do you have Rev.A checkbox enabled on your 800w? Mine has always been unchecked.

    FYI, I still get Rev.A speeds with/without the checkbox enabled, so I left it unchecked by default. Besides, the last time I enabled it, I lost GPS functionality, which is why I don't even bother with it anymore.
    Mine has always been off on all of them. I have four bars throughout my place without the airave on and three to four bars at my sisters place where I also tested. (Both of us have it for the unlimited and not because of reception issues).

    My assumption was that the airave might be missing, either when broadcasting or responding, some piece of data to initiate the aGPS. But if yours is working that can't be the case. I suppose that Sprint could be pushing different firmware or adjustments to airaves. I know Sprint recently stopped the ability of airave owners to limit unauthorized users via a user managed list due to complaints. Perhaps they are making other tweaks that cause the difference.

    Right now we have three testers who can't get aGPS while under airave and two who can. I know from exchanges with Eddie that he know what he is doing and I trust the validity of his tests, I just can't understand why mine and others aren't working. I would appreciate it if anyone who stops by checks theirs.
    Last edited by aero; 10/06/2008 at 03:15 PM.
  12. #32  
    Perhaps aGPS requires the actual GPS antenna to be used? Just a thought.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by techfury90 View Post
    Perhaps aGPS requires the actual GPS antenna to be used? Just a thought.
    Gonna give it a try. I will cycle the airave power tonight with the gps antenna on and run to a window and see.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by techfury90 View Post
    Perhaps aGPS requires the actual GPS antenna to be used? Just a thought.
    My thinking was, the GPS on the Airave was only required for E911 services. Since you're connecting from the Airave and not from a Sprint Antenna, your location can't really be verified, which is why the GPS on the Airave is required. But hey, it's worth a shot.

    BTW, I don't have the external antenna connected on the Airave. Also, against the recommendations, I have mine sitting about less than 1 foot from my router. When I first setup the Airave, I never read the manual. I originally also used the external GPS antenna, but until I read the manual a few days later, I realized it wasn't required, unless the blue GPS led would not go on.
  15. #35  
    Yeah, I didn't think it was really needed either, but I wouldn't be surprised. The GPS antenna is mostly there for synchronization purposes (though its not needed for that if it can pick up a Sprint tower's signal). E911 was just an afterthought in a way.. CDMA had GPS all along on the towers for sync, E911 came years later.
  16.    #36  
    Eddie, I am 99.99% sure that location verification on airave is either GPS or Tower. (To confirm it is in a sprint licensed area is a practical consideration for Sprint as well as probably a legal requirement. Otherwise I would use it at my father in law's summer house in Europe.)

    As far as the antenna, it is along shot, but Eddie maybe getting a sat lock on airwave without an antenna depending on his construction and placement. I am 99.99% sure I am only getting network and tower on my airave since I wasn't using antenna and it is deep down in the house and a position where neither of my top of the line gps units can get even one sat (although maybe the airave is grabbing ephemeris etc from the tower).

    Some users' airaves maybe getting a) tower and aGPS; b) some just tower and c) some just non assisted GPS (users who take 4 hours to get a gps light). Perhaps some aspect of the required aGPS initialization wont be passed to airave for it to pass to the 800w in some or one of the above, and is aquired and passed on in another one or two of the above?

    Test results with antenna placed outside on window sill and airave cycled: Nothing. I am perplexed.
  17.    #37  
    OK ran a bunch more tests and called support. Airave support confirms that aGPS wont work under airave for many aGPS devices including 800w. They are looking into it
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Eddie, I am 99.99% sure that location verification on airave is either GPS or Tower. (To confirm it is in a sprint licensed area is a practical consideration for Sprint as well as probably a legal requirement. Otherwise I would use it at my father in law's summer house in Europe.)
    I'm not sure about that. Although the Airave acts like a repeater, it isn't really a true repeater. A repeater would require a signal source, which then amplifies that signal, and extends it within your home/office. Otherwise, you would have a satellite dish or antenna outside your house to obtain a cellular signal. I remember a product that is a true repeater and DOES require a valid signal outside your house.

    I would have to think that since it uses an IP addresses from your local provider, Sprint should be able to determine if it's being used inside a Sprint area (US), compared to bringing it overseas.

    Besides, why would the Airave have an external GPS antenna when, as you say, can acquire GPS from a tower as well?


    Anyways, back to the original topic. I THINK I may have found a solution. Before using aGPS within the Airave area, dial *99 and listen for the confirmation tone and message. Then turn on your GPS app. You should be able to acquire a GPS position. I came to this conclusion, by doing the following...

    1. Reset the Airave, by turning off, then turning on the device. Thus painfully waiting about 20 minutes for the Airave to be available.
    2. Soft reset my 800w.
    3. Placed my 800w NEXT to the Airave and started Garmin.
    4. I left my 800w next to the phone. After 5 minutes, NO GPS ACQUISITION. I aso noticed the GPS led kept blinking.

    I repeated steps 2-4, but this time using TomTom 7. Still, NO GPS ACQUISITION.

    I realized how strange the aGPs on my 800w isn't working all of a sudden. Then I realized that I never dialed *99 prior to using my GPS app. I repeated the above steps, but this time dialing *99 prior to starting my GPS app. After a few seconds, I was able to get a GPS acquisition.

    Although I can see full bars on my phone prior to dialing *99. Somehow dialing *99 maybe graps the GPS info from the Airave.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 10/11/2008 at 08:17 PM.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Besides, why would the Airave have an external GPS antenna when, as you say, can acquire GPS from a tower as well?
    The antenna is for situations where the airave can't get a tower signal at all -- which after all is the reason d'etre of the airave.

    When we say acquire GPS let's be clear we mean light up the GPS indicator, not acquire a sat, which is 100% not needed.
  20. #40  
    Did you look at the Airave and see where the external GPS gets connected. The label display GPS, it's not an RF antenna.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions