Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    First, let me say the hardware is fantastic. Looks great, sound quality is much better than the 650's, keyboard is easier to use, better camera, etc.

However, I'm *this* close to sending it back. Windows Mobile is without question the least user-friendly operating system I have *ever* encountered, and I've been messing with computers since 1978. If you could do something on the 650 with 1 or 2 button pushes, on WinMo it might take 6 or even 12. Here are some examples:

1) On the 650, I assigned Google Maps to the G key, so I could start it with one button push. On the Pro, it takes 6 steps: START-P-G-G-G-CENTER.

2) On the 650, in the calendar, if you moved off today, you could just press the CALENDAR button again and it would bring you back to today. In Pocket Outlook, pressing the CALENDAR button just cycles through the views, without bringing you back to today. Instead, it's MENU (soft key), G (for "Go To Today"). (And just try finding that "Menu" soft key when you're in a hurry and you don't have your glasses).

3) The 650 had ready-made emoticons in the SMS application. On the Pro, to make a smiley it takes 12 keys to make a smiley: ALT-CENTER-ALT-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-CENTER-OPTION-U.

4) No easy way to make a new SMS. Instead of one or 2 presses, the sequence is MESSAGING-RIGHT-MENU-CENTER-S

5) I've played with 5 or 6 3rd party calendar apps but haven't yet found one that comes close to the simplicity and utility of Datebk on Palm.
    I haven't used the Pro, but I do know that WM itself is one reason why WM apps sell so well, LOL! Someone will probably give you app suggestions.

But before you go back to Palm OS, consider that WM can handle several apps open at a time, multi-tasking. Plus 3G voice and data + wifi on the Pro, which the 650 cannot provide.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well, that's just the way it is.
    I personally fell in love with WM.
    I went to play around with my 650 sometime back and it even re-affirmed my coice.
    Some like it, some don't.
    I did too, even though it was slow to me at first. The multi-tasking and ability to handle so much more than Palm OS did it.

It's sometimes still a slow OS though, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am with JG. I am on my 4th day (actually the 2nd cause it took me to ddays to get active sync to work) JG you also forgot to mention that in contacts I always enter 3-5 phone #s for a person from home to mobile to 2-3 work #s especially if the contact has 2 jobs. Well in Outlook there is no place for all the #sSo in the 650 I had them I synced with Hotsync and then I synced with Activesync and got only half of the #s on the Pro!
    Also in the calendar I ususally start off in the month view to scan where i have appointments and where I don't. In the 650 I would use the 5 way to go up and down through the days. I cannot with Pro.
    Lastly I am having to pull out the Stylus a heck of a lot more, especially as you into the deeper menus. I rarely used the stylus with the 650
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    You guys need to spend more than 2 days learning how to best us WM.
    You can assign keyboard short-cuts via Buttons in Settings.
    And put your most commonly used apps in the start menu.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    You've completely missed the point.

1) It didn't take more than 2 days to become fluent on the Palm.
    2) Sure - you can assign keyboard shortcuts to the 5 hardware buttons. In the Palm, you could assign things to every button on the keyboard. So you could get one-button access to dozens of apps, not just 6 - for instance, "G" for Google Maps, "H" for "Call home", "C" for calculator.
    3) You're allowed 7 apps on the Start menu. But to get them, it's still 2 button presses - that's 100% more than on the Palm.

Could I get WinMo to be good enough for most of what I do? Sure. But it won't be intuitive, will require messing around in the registry, will take a lot of work to hunt down and test 3rd party apps (many of which are of dubious quality), and it will still never be as easy as a Palm phone. Or, an iPhone.
    It's kind of a shame that ones are somewhat being forced to make the move (my avatar says alot)
    I switched from POS when I wanted 3G. Now POS users are running out of choices. Sadly, it's a dying OS.
    Where else you gonna go? symbian, bb, WM for smartphones, oh wait the best of them all Apple.
    I really think for Treo users, moving from POS, the WM treos are the logical move.
    Yes thats why I went with the pro. Its just goint ot take a lot of extra time to primp it up to what you want it to do.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    You've completely missed the point.

1) It didn't take more than 2 days to become fluent on the Palm.
    2) Sure - you can assign keyboard shortcuts to the 5 hardware buttons. In the Palm, you could assign things to every button on the keyboard. So you could get one-button access to dozens of apps, not just 6 - for instance, "G" for Google Maps, "H" for "Call home", "C" for calculator.
    3) You're allowed 7 apps on the Start menu. But to get them, it's still 2 button presses - that's 100% more than on the Palm.

Could I get WinMo to be good enough for most of what I do? Sure. But it won't be intuitive, will require messing around in the registry, will take a lot of work to hunt down and test 3rd party apps (many of which are of dubious quality), and it will still never be as easy as a Palm phone. Or, an iPhone.
    Wow, if pressing two buttons rather than one button is that much of a hardship then I really think you should stick with the Palm OS. Or an iPhone. Just stop whining.
    You don't need to "hunt down" apps and risk getting bad ones, just look at what's available from reputable app websites. Usually customer feedback is posted. Also look for ones with good reviews and trials.

Yes WM can take too many steps over Palm OS or the slightly crippled iPhone , but try using it for a week then decide. I tested it for a while and when I tried to go back to Palm OS, I found I really needed WM for my needs. If you need multi-tasking, WM is it. The iPhone fails at that too. If you don't need it, then go back.

I think Shimon or Jeff Gibson is working on an interface to make WM look and act more like Palm OS. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. I was a long time Palm OS user and did try WM a couple of times and went back. But now, with my 800w, I think I mad the right decision. Especially after adding SPB's Mobile Shell.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Shimon has stated he will not write for WM, it being too slow. His efforts are with the iPhone. Jeff is going with WM. Both great developers and both deserve our support.

As for choice, I have known for a long time that WM was in my move from the Palm OS 'cause of my desire for multi-tasking. What took me so long though was finding a device that suited my needs and desires. The 800W is that device. As for applications, the only one that I cannot replace is CallRec.
    well, i wont say how far back i go, it is somewhat apparent all palm os except the iphone which is pretty much useless and a worse multitasker than the palm os. at least with palm os u could hear turn by turn gps and get calls or leave chatter and aim, gmail, yahoo, gchat running in the background, u can do none of that with the iphone.

that being said, i ilke the palm os alot, but i have to say wm6 is growing on me. and much more versatile. i am staying with pro, by far the best treo since my first handpring palm os phone the visorphone
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    First, let me say the hardware is fantastic. Looks great, sound quality is much better than the 650's, keyboard is easier to use, better camera, etc.

However, I'm *this* close to sending it back. Windows Mobile is without question the least user-friendly operating system I have *ever* encountered, and I've been messing with computers since 1978. If you could do something on the 650 with 1 or 2 button pushes, on WinMo it might take 6 or even 12. Here are some examples:

1) On the 650, I assigned Google Maps to the G key, so I could start it with one button push. On the Pro, it takes 6 steps: START-P-G-G-G-CENTER.

2) On the 650, in the calendar, if you moved off today, you could just press the CALENDAR button again and it would bring you back to today. In Pocket Outlook, pressing the CALENDAR button just cycles through the views, without bringing you back to today. Instead, it's MENU (soft key), G (for "Go To Today"). (And just try finding that "Menu" soft key when you're in a hurry and you don't have your glasses).

3) The 650 had ready-made emoticons in the SMS application. On the Pro, to make a smiley it takes 12 keys to make a smiley: ALT-CENTER-ALT-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-CENTER-OPTION-U.

4) No easy way to make a new SMS. Instead of one or 2 presses, the sequence is MESSAGING-RIGHT-MENU-CENTER-S

5) I've played with 5 or 6 3rd party calendar apps but haven't yet found one that comes close to the simplicity and utility of Datebk on Palm.
    I don't know why I feel the need to defend WM...lol

1) set google maps to a hardware button

2) press the red/end key to return to today screen (was that so hard )

3) don't use smileys too much so don't know on this one

4) hmmm...I just open the contact and click on send new text message

5) don't know...I use the built in one and like it just fine
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
    To all,
    Palm UI + WM OS = perfect solution. MS designed WM from a desktop UI perspective, did not taken consideration of the Zen of UI. Palm OS has been around for almost 10 years and just consider how advanced it was 10 years ago. Having said that, Palm OS is an aging product, but the simplicity of the UI design (for PIM) is second to none. I have a Treo680 for personal use and Treo 750 for office. Oh boy, I can tell you the 680 is much easier to use...
    It and the Centro and the whatever Palm OS devices are easier to use, but like bunches say and I have mumbled before, the Palm OS is not going to be updated any more and there are those of us who want more than what the Palm OS is capable of delivering. I am dedicated to Palm and the WM os allows me to continue supporting the company. Of the 4 WM devices I have used, the 800W is the best, even with its issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I think Shimon or Jeff Gibson is working on an interface to make WM look and act more like Palm OS. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. I was a long time Palm OS user and did try WM a couple of times and went back. But now, with my 800w, I think I mad the right decision. Especially after adding SPB's Mobile Shell.
    History Treo 600, 650, 680 and centro , now bought the Treo Pro because of all the good futures.
    Don´t know the guy Jeff you are talking about but sure he can make money making a software getting the Pro to run just a little like a Palm OS powered smart phone.The sms software is weary weary weary difficult to use, as written in the first note just making a new sms is difficult, a simple thing like purging old sms ore copy a line take so long time it is easier to call the person
    I installed windows shell witch helped much, in the daily use, but i miss my Palm os so much
    I'm form Scandinavia where we use 3 special charters 2 of them is easily accessed trough the "alt" key tasks 5 buttons but the last charterer 27 buttons, i wrote to Palm support if there was another way ore if they could put a better shortcut in the next update, they told me to use the screen keyboard, hmm if i would us that i bought i HTS diamond pro.

If there is i mailing list for the release of Jeff´s software i would sign in .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast