Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Have you tried a Centro?
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Have you tried a Centro?
    No - not sure what advantages it has over my 650, since the AT&T version doesn't have 3G, and it doesn't do EAS any better.
    Prolly none.
    The 2 things I disliked about my 650 was poor reception and low headset volume - but VolumeCare fixed that.

I just thought if you were looking for an upgrade, I heard the Centro was great with reception and call clarity.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    Update (12 days): In the end, I just could not get used to the WinMo interface, and I found that the Pro's advantages are not the things I look for in a phone (and vice versa).

Here's what I will miss about the Treo Pro:
    - Really nice piece of hardware, excellent screen, excellent graphics
    - A really great email client, maybe better than Chatter
    - Over-the-air exchange Activesync that just works, every time all the time
    - Much better call clarity (due to 3g)

Things I couldn't get used to:
    - Needing 3-4x more button presses to do simple things
    - Needing to use the touch screen about 30%-40% of the time. And I had trouble reliably touching the right spot every time - I found I had to use the stylus a lot more than on my 650
    - Could never get the bluetooth to work
    - Poor SMS application
    - Poor calendar application - even PI doesn't come close to DB6

Things that seemed really cool, but for which I never found a use during the test period:
    - GPS
    - WiFi
    - Ability to customize the underlying OS (through registry edits or code). This could either be a real advantage, or a real distraction, depending on your temprament

And so my Treo Pro is going back to Palm. I have been playing with a Nokia E71, but I think I'm just going to stay with my old 650 for a while longer.
    I agree with you that even PI doesn't come any close to DB6, but the fact is 650 belongs to ancient time and now we need new pda phone to enjoy better network. Did you see any other alternative such as BB Storm or E71?
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    One button is a single glance - maybe 2 seconds not looking at the road.

Two buttons (or a tap on the screen) requires a more concentrated effort, and therefore is not really feasible in the car, or on the run through an airport, or in any situation where speed is of the essence.

Plus, it's a philosophical issue: why purposefully make something more complicated when it would be so easy to make it less complicated?
    It's actually a whole lot less than 2 seconds. This is one of my problems with the iPhone, it requires enormous attention to use it relative to ANY phone with a couple more hard keys. So much so I actually wonder if it will contribute to auto accidents more than your average Nokia?
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    It's actually a whole lot less than 2 seconds. This is one of my problems with the iPhone, it requires enormous attention to use it relative to ANY phone with a couple more hard keys. So much so I actually wonder if it will contribute to auto accidents more than your average Nokia?
    I recently saw a fender bender (in Portland OR) between two Priuses - both drivers were talking on iPhones when it happened, of course.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    Did you see any other alternative such as BB Storm or E71?
    If you don't have corporate infrastructure, any BB is far more expensive than any other phone to get true over-the-air sync - the BB BES data package from AT&T is $25 more per month than the data package for other phones, and BES hosting is $10-15 more per month than Activesync hosting. So that's $400-500 more per year.

I'm trying the E71 - it's a good piece of hardware, but the UI is extremely primitive, compared to others.
    And yet Symbian is a dominant OS everywhere but in the US and maybe North America period.

On another note, I'm beginning to agree with another poster who said you may be looking for a reason to dislike other phones. The Centro has been reported as having all the bugs cleared out that should have been cleared out on the 650 and the 680. It's definitely considered a viable upgrade by Palm OS fans.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Centro has been reported as having all the bugs cleared out that should have been cleared out on the 650 and the 680. It's definitely considered a viable upgrade by Palm OS fans.
    I didn't know that - I'll have a look.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Coming from a 680, I really like the Pro. Sure, it's a few extra clicks here and there, but I'm not rushing around or desperately trying to operate it while driving or what have you.

It's also slower, but makes up for it by being way, way more flexible (and it's faster starting up Opera Mobile than it was starting up Blazer, I have to say). Also has better support for Chinese (OMG, Unicode!).

I also really appreciate having slightly greater control over the font size than 'Small, Small-Bold, Large, Large-Bold'.

Few downsides, mostly the keyboard isn't as good as the 680, and FlexMail lacks a scheduler, which is not cool. Oh, and having to disable the screen-saver if I want to listen to music (otherwise there's this wonderful skip every minute or so...).

But yeah, I'm overall very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    Coming from a 680, I really like the Pro. Sure, it's a few extra clicks here and there, but I'm not rushing around or desperately trying to operate it while driving or what have you.

It's also slower, but makes up for it by being way, way more flexible (and it's faster starting up Opera Mobile than it was starting up Blazer, I have to say). Also has better support for Chinese (OMG, Unicode!).

I also really appreciate having slightly greater control over the font size than 'Small, Small-Bold, Large, Large-Bold'.

Few downsides, mostly the keyboard isn't as good as the 680, and FlexMail lacks a scheduler, which is not cool. Oh, and having to disable the screen-saver if I want to listen to music (otherwise there's this wonderful skip every minute or so...).

But yeah, I'm overall very happy with it.
    unicode support Chinese? Which software are you talking about? if it's really unicode, the system should have a function to enable the reading and input, right? I didn't it's inside the system.

Can you share with us if you are using other software? thanks
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    The software I'm using is called CE-Star (Standard, not Suite), and it works fine. I can read/write Simplified or Traditional (along with Japanese, and I could have installed Korean). As far as I'm aware, it stores everything in UTF-8 (or at least in Unicode). It also supports the old GB2312 or Big5 encodings (so you can view websites with them, or read emails encoded in that format).

If you want to display Chinese, then that can be done for free with a few registry mods. There is a free Pinyin input module called ZTA4, but I wasn't able to get that working. Not that I tried terribly hard. Do a Google search, it shouldn't be hard to find.

For whatever reason, Microsoft has decided that it won't include software to be able to read/write Chinese by default. You do need to buy (or install, at any rate) extra software. It sucks, but there's not much that can be done.

The alternative would be flashing to a Chinese ROM. You could always try http://www.treo8.com if you need more help.
    I'll throw my two cents in here since I have used all the OS's known to mankind with the exception of symbian.

the WM interface is not as intuitive as the other OS's but there are great third party add ons to make it more user friendly. You simply must try a program like SPB Pocket Plus. It allows you to access everything you could want right from the today screen through tabbed browsing. And from a power perspective, Palm OS is a toy compared to WM.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I picked up my old 650 tonight after using the Pro for a week. It's amazing how much faster I can get things done on the 650 than the Pro.

Is there an app that will remap the keyboard on the Pro to speed dials or applications like you can on the 650?
    I looked at AEbuttons, but it did appear to map for speeddialing.
    Hi jg70124,

Let me say that I understand your pain. I also ugraded from a 650 to the new Pro about a week ago. While I have to say that it was a bit of a shock in the first few days, I have to say that now I am loving it.

One thing that I can say helped me with the navigation issue and gave the device a nice feel was a 3rd party application called SPB Mobileshell. It helps to hide a lot of WM not so friendly menus.

Now a week into the new Pro, I would have to say that I wouldnt go back. But I am still learning and something I get fustrated because the Palm OS was easier but with a little learning, I am really glad that I switched.

I am now playing around with the iGO 8 GPS software that I just picked up and it is fantastic with the Pro as well.

Dont give up!!
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Treo 650------Treo Pro (Oct 08)
    You simply must try a program like SPB Pocket Plus. It allows you to access everything you could want right from the today screen through tabbed browsing.
    SPB is a life saver for WM. I've been using SPB Mobile Shell V2 and its fantastic. You can access almost any program you desire with 1 touch.

You should have tried this before giving up on the PRO.
    I'd like to know how Pocket Informant can't compete with DB. That program is so heavily featured, it was too much for me to use as of now. If you can't support your needs in PI, I am surprised. That program seems like it can micromanage your life, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Its tough going from long time Palm OS to WM.
    I agree Palm OS is way more intuitive, but like it was said before its outdated and basically unsupported anymore.

The program that saved WM for me (700P to 700wx on VZW) was Quicklist 2.7

It made the phone act more like my PC and Im ok with that becasue I understand it well.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123