Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ospdk View Post
    I wrote to Palm support if there was another way ore if they could put a better shortcut in the next update, they told me to use the screen.
    Man, that is a pathetic answer. I would feel better if they just said "No, we won't do that.".
  2. #22  
    I came from a 650 too. My first two days with the Treo Pro were frustrating and I really thought that I'd wasted my money. However, three weeks later, having configured the device to my liking, and having installed some third-party programs, I love it. I particularly love all the information and notifications that you can cram into the Today screen. I never thought I'd say this, but even the threaded SMS application on the Pro is better than Palm's version of it. WM is slightly slower than Palm OS, but it's prettier and that makes up for it. I've even become happy with OneNote as a replacemant for my beloved Memos on the 650 (I still don't like the native notes on the Pro).The Pro is an enjoyment all-round.
  3. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem View Post
    ...three weeks later, having configured the device to my liking, and having installed some third-party programs, I love it.
    Do tell. What apps do you have?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem View Post
    ... I've even become happy with OneNote as a replacemant for my beloved Memos on the 650 (I still don't like the native notes on the Pro).The Pro is an enjoyment all-round.
    I'm currently evaluating EverNote since it has changed so much since version 2.x. They now have WM-version too, and it works ok, I do hope it becomes at least something like OneNote on the Treo. That would make it ideal. The advantage of EverNote is that you don't need your pc with OneNote to sync. Evernote syncs via internet and you can access it on the web, your treo and of course in a desktop app too.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  5. dmchen's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #25  
    I am also a 650 user about to jump to either the Pro or 800. One of the best features on the 650 is being able to map EVERY keyboard key to an app and activate by just holding it down...I can pretty much get to anything I do on a regular basis with one keystroke (apps, websites, people I call regularly, etc.)

    I have seen different answers on whether there is similar functionality on WM...on a reply to another thread when the 800 first came out (see below), someone said that on WM you can map all the keys on the keyboard to an app, you just need to hit the Alt key first (just one more key, which is not that big a deal)...in POS on the 650, you just hold down the key (but this works on the main phone screen only, so if you are somewhere else, it is actually 2 clicks).

    Can someone confirm once and for all how this works (or does not work) on WM? If you can do this, is it for URLs and apps in addition to phone #s? If this is not in WM, I would think there is a 3rd party add-on that would do this?? Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    How do you figure?

    9 keys on the top row, Q through O.
    9 keys n the 2nd row, A through L.
    7 keys on the bottom row, Z through L.

    That's 25 keys total. Each of those keys has an alt (/ through ", & through ', and * through ').

    That gives you a total of 50 keys availible to use.


    Though I don't want to know why you would remember someone as being ! for your speed dial....
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchen View Post
    So you can use Alt-[key] on the WM platform for Quick Keys? On my POS Treo650, you can only use the keys themselves, I don't believe there is an Alt feature (unless I have missed it all this time...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    As I said, POS handles the Alt key differently, so I don't believe it's possible to use as a quick dial.

    In WM you can either hit alt, then the key, or hold alt and hit the key. Does the same exact thing.
    Last edited by dmchen; 10/03/2008 at 09:29 AM.
  6. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #26  
    I can confirm that there is *no* way to do this on a Treo Pro out of the box. The built-in WinMo "Buttons" control allows you to map these 10 key combos (and only these):

    - Start
    - Option/Start
    - OK
    - Option/OK
    - App 3 (Calendar)
    - Option/App 3
    - App 4 (Flexmail)
    - Option/App 4
    - Option/Send
    - Side button

    If there is a 3rd party hack that gives more flexibility, I have not found it.
  7. dmchen's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #27  
    Thanks. Darn. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. guess that's how it goes but don't understand why Palm would not have included this Treo feature on the latest line (I know...the answer is going to be because it was HTC, not Palm).

    If anyone knows of any 3rd party apps, please do tell. Or maybe an entrepreneurial developer out there could write something..think there would be lots of demand and I for one would be definitely be willing to pay.
  8. #28  
    If you ask me, your problem is with efficiency. Of course, you can assign 17 apps to the hard buttons that you can access in 1-2 button presses. I can't believe that some people can actually complain that they have to press two buttons to launch a program. It's ridiculous.
  9. dmchen's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #29  
    I don't understand your reply. If you read my original post, I have no problems with pressing 2 buttons to launch an app...one button is better, but I can live with two. But never having owned a WM device, I did not know you can get to an app with 2 clicks - how do you do that...your post was not clear. The other reply before yours said this could NOT be done (at least not by mapping keys).
  10. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #30  
    One button is a single glance - maybe 2 seconds not looking at the road.

    Two buttons (or a tap on the screen) requires a more concentrated effort, and therefore is not really feasible in the car, or on the run through an airport, or in any situation where speed is of the essence.

    Plus, it's a philosophical issue: why purposefully make something more complicated when it would be so easy to make it less complicated?
  11. #31  
    I mentioned it before, I will mention it again.
    AEButtons
  12. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchen View Post
    I don't understand your reply. If you read my original post, I have no problems with pressing 2 buttons to launch an app...one button is better, but I can live with two. But never having owned a WM device, I did not know you can get to an app with 2 clicks - how do you do that...your post was not clear. The other reply before yours said this could NOT be done (at least not by mapping keys).
    Right, not by mapping keys. And not always two buttons.

    If your app is on the start menu (7 are allowed), the sequence is START, then tap the letter that's underlined in your Apps name. It might be the first letter, or it might be the eighth - it appears to be random. So to get to the Calculator, the sequence is START-U. (START-C brings up the Pictures menu. Go figure.)

    Even worse, I have occasionally seen situations where Windows has assigned the same letter to two apps, in which case your only option is to tap on the touchscreen.

    If your app is *not* on the start menu, then you press START, then P (for Programs) then press the first letter of the name of the app until you get to your app (if there is more than one app that starts with the same letter, you would have to hit that letter multiple times). So for Google Maps, the sequence is START-P-G-G-G-CENTER.

    So it is more complicated, with more types of sequences to remember, less intuitive, and requires that you look at the screen to do it. Which makes the phone more or less useless in situations where you can't stop to study the screen - like driving, or running through the airport, or in a customer meeting, etc.
  13. #33  
    aebuttons:
    I can assign cal button for example:
    1 click - default
    dbl click - new appointment
    triple click - new task
    press and hold - something else.

    4 assignments to the same button.
  14. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    aebuttons:
    I can assign cal button for example:
    1 click - default
    dbl click - new appointment
    triple click - new task
    press and hold - something else.

    4 assignments to the same button.
    Crossed messages. Will definitely check it out.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    Right, not by mapping keys. And not always two buttons.

    If your app is on the start menu (7 are allowed), the sequence is START, then tap the letter that's underlined in your Apps name. It might be the first letter, or it might be the eighth - it appears to be random. So to get to the Calculator, the sequence is START-U. (START-C brings up the Pictures menu. Go figure.)

    Even worse, I have occasionally seen situations where Windows has assigned the same letter to two apps, in which case your only option is to tap on the touchscreen.

    If your app is *not* on the start menu, then you press START, then P (for Programs) then press the first letter of the name of the app until you get to your app (if there is more than one app that starts with the same letter, you would have to hit that letter multiple times). So for Google Maps, the sequence is START-P-G-G-G-CENTER.

    So it is more complicated, with more types of sequences to remember, less intuitive, and requires that you look at the screen to do it. Which makes the phone more or less useless in situations where you can't stop to study the screen - like driving, or running through the airport, or in a customer meeting, etc.
    Your post makes it seem like you have to launch 10 different programs all at once. I understand your argument, but it appears that you're LOOKING for reasons to dislike your new device. Your argument that pressing two buttons would be too distracting and take more than 2 seconds is humorous as it takes less than a full second to do so. If you have the same 7 apps in your start menu, you will memorize the shortcut key.

    Pressing start + "C" or Opt + Cal probably takes the same amount of time to launch a program compared to pressing and holding "C" on your Centros keyboard to launch something. You still have to LOOK at your keyboard to find the right letter. If your next argument is that you can memorize where the keys are and don't have to look, then the same argument can be made for the Treo Pro. In fact, the Option Key and the Start Key are fairly easy to press without looking after getting used to your device after a few days. Your argument about time and efficiency is thereby proven to be a non-issue.

    Now, I agree that launching programs is a *bit* more tedious than Palm OS. But you basically have one big issue with WM that will become a non-issue as you use your device more. Given the power of the OS itself (and not even counting what you can do on the hardware side) it blows away Palm OS. Now, let's see where the Palm OS II takes us...
    Last edited by gadgetluva; 10/03/2008 at 11:06 AM.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    Do tell. What apps do you have?
    Spb mobile shell.
    Spb weather.
    Chronos.
    Agenda One.
    Opera 9.5 Beta.
    PHM RegEdit.
    BEIKS Dictionaries.
  17. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ospdk View Post
    i wrote to Palm support if there was another way ore if they could put a better shortcut in the next update, they told me to use the screen keyboard
    Sounds like you got a rep looking to find something to offer (and move on to the next case). Let's hope that 1) a 3rd party developer puts something out that helps and 2) that Palm comes through on this with Nova.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem View Post
    I came from a 650 too. My first two days with the Treo Pro were frustrating and I really thought that I'd wasted my money. However, three weeks later, having configured the device to my liking, and having installed some third-party programs, I love it. I particularly love all the information and notifications that you can cram into the Today screen. I never thought I'd say this, but even the threaded SMS application on the Pro is better than Palm's version of it. WM is slightly slower than Palm OS, but it's prettier and that makes up for it. I've even become happy with OneNote as a replacement for my beloved Memos on the 650 (I still don't like the native notes on the Pro).The Pro is an enjoyment all-round.
    What in the Treo Pro sms du you think is better than Palm powered OS I miss the speed buttons in the button of the screen, i miss the easy access to smileys, i miss the functions in the top to purge older than xx and cut and copy, i also finde it strange when adding more than one receipt you manually have to put ; in between all the names.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by ospdk View Post
    What in the Treo Pro sms du you think is better than Palm powered OS I miss the speed buttons in the button of the screen, i miss the easy access to smileys, i miss the functions in the top to purge older than xx and cut and copy, i also finde it strange when adding more than one receipt you manually have to put ; in between all the names.
    I don't miss the Smileys, which I seldom use . I like being able to delete individual SMSs in a thread. I like the spell check (in my job I have to be correct). I like 'Call Sender' being a press of the middle button away. I especially like the way 'older' messages are hidden. In general I prefer the style of the app (the blue highlighting of messages). I like the unobtrusive way that new messages pop up.
  20. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #40  
    Update (12 days): In the end, I just could not get used to the WinMo interface, and I found that the Pro's advantages are not the things I look for in a phone (and vice versa).

    Here's what I will miss about the Treo Pro:
    - Really nice piece of hardware, excellent screen, excellent graphics
    - A really great email client, maybe better than Chatter
    - Over-the-air exchange Activesync that just works, every time all the time
    - Much better call clarity (due to 3g)

    Things I couldn't get used to:
    - Needing 3-4x more button presses to do simple things
    - Needing to use the touch screen about 30%-40% of the time. And I had trouble reliably touching the right spot every time - I found I had to use the stylus a lot more than on my 650
    - Could never get the bluetooth to work
    - Poor SMS application
    - Poor calendar application - even PI doesn't come close to DB6

    Things that seemed really cool, but for which I never found a use during the test period:
    - GPS
    - WiFi
    - Ability to customize the underlying OS (through registry edits or code). This could either be a real advantage, or a real distraction, depending on your temprament

    And so my Treo Pro is going back to Palm. I have been playing with a Nokia E71, but I think I'm just going to stay with my old 650 for a while longer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions