1.    #1  
    I have been testing out maps program trying to figure out why search results no longer show closest matches.

I am finding another troubling problem in this program. On all three of our 800Ws if I triangulate from the distances shown in the found matches the 800w thinks it is somewhere other than where it is even after making a location call to the GPS.

If some of you are in urban areas can you check this with searches for starbucks or cvs or the like to see of you get same problem results?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I ran into this problem, and I just switched to SprintNav because it does the same thing, but works.
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing, and that was the first time I've tried it. I used Google Maps and Live Search before I used Maps, and I noticed that the GPS position on Maps was stuck where Live Search had me pinned before I closed it.

I just tried it again to confirm, and it pinned me at the right location on the map. Searching for a Starbucks, though, returned results near that location that Maps was stuck at in the above paragraph.

I've come to the conclusion that this program just sucks.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  4.    #4  
    Freak4Dell - thanks. I think that it simply won't refresh under common conditions for some reason.
    Maps works really good on the Curve so I doubt its the way the program is written. Like mentioned SprintNav is pretty flawless.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  6.    #6  
    yeah, but I use a legacy plan that gives me evdo and unlimited text on all my lines for free (5 lines), and I have tomtom and garmin, so i am not switching to a plan with nav included or paying a monthly.

I would like to see if others have the same problem before I bother reporting it to palm to hear they can't duplicate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I have been testing out maps program trying to figure out why search results no longer show closest matches.
    You say that as if Maps ever gave the closest results on the 800w .

I've noticed, the results are an alphabetically sorted combination of the city and street name in the result set. (And it seems like they're using something like SOUNDEX because some of the results in that sorting are a little off.)

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Maps works really good on the Curve so I doubt its the way the program is written. Like mentioned SprintNav is pretty flawless.
    That's good to know. And yes, Sprint Navigation works great.
    i have to agree with google maps being the best.
    not to hack the thread but i have used live search and tried to get my current gps location and it dosent seem to pick up my location untill i load up google maps and go to use gps?
    any idea on why???
    and i can never just look up my current location, it always wants me to name my current location. is there any way to disble this frature???
    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    But have you ever used Sprint Navigation? Voice, a very compelling option. And that works both ways. Sprint Navigation allows for speaking a location to it to find and Sprint Navigation speaks out the directions.
    Google Maps is the best free one as far as layout and ease of use goes. As far as I know, though, it doesn't do turn-by-turn navigation. LiveSearch does, although it takes like 11 button presses to get it set up to do that.

I'd like to get Garmin or TomTom or something like that, but I can't blindly shell out a hundred bucks for software. I wish they had a trial or something, so I could at least try it out to see which one I like. Then I could buy it without the risk of feeling like a complete fool. I've even tried acquiring it through not-so-legal methods, but all I can find are ones with European maps. This sucks.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    not to hack the thread but i have used live search and tried to get my current gps location and it dosent seem to pick up my location untill i load up google maps and go to use gps?
    That is EXACTLY what happens with us on multiple 800Ws.

Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but either a) something is busted inherently with 800w sharing the GPS data once one program gets a lock and exits or b) Google maps is creating this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That is EXACTLY what happens with us on multiple 800Ws.

Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but either a) something is busted inherently with 800w sharing the GPS data once one program gets a lock and exits or b) Google maps is creating this problem.
    anybody else having this problem???