Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I'm having problems with the screen on my 800w as mentioned by several others in the following forum:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...creen+vertical

This is my 2nd 800w exhibiting the same problem. The 1st 800w was replaced by Sprint because it was under 30 days. The 2nd and current 800w is over the 30 day period.

Who is responsible for the warranty work? Palm or Sprint? The 800w has a 1 year warranty and I thought it was covered by Sprint. However, I went to the Sprint store and they wanted to charge me $55 to $125 for the work after witnessing the problem. I stated I thought the 800w had a 1 year warranty and the Sprint rep said through Palm. Sprint is only responsible for the 1st 30 days.

I contacted Palm and Palm rep said it should be covered by Sprint. I mentioned I just came from Sprint and they said to go to Palm for the warranty work. The Palm rep then stated to send the unit to Palm.

The Palm rep didn't seem too sure and I would like confirmation. In the past with my 700p, the 1 year warranty work was covered by Sprint. Not sure if anything has changed recently with Sprint's warranty policy.

Thanks,

Tae
    Sprint does not do warranty work in stores. If you signed up for ESRP, you would be covered and wouldnt have to pay anything besides the monthly free for ESRP ($4).

http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...t_forward.html

Odd that Palm seems to think Sprint will cover the warranty. Sprint won't. Someone F'd up on that one.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I don't have mine handy, but isn't there a warranty card in the box the 800w came in? Most consumer electronics have a 1-year manufacturer's limited warranty these days, with limited meaning (in a general sense) "if you sat on it, don't call us", etc.

FYI Mine did the lines on the screen thing once or twice, but it's not a regular occurrence. Does yours recover, or is it stuck that way? If it recovers, you might try a hard reset and see if it happens more or less than before. I think I noticed it after installing some software, but I don't recall what it was, and I can't really reconcile why installing software (but not running it) would cause a screen issue.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Next Steps View Post
    Sprint does not do warranty work in stores. If you signed up for ESRP, you would be covered and wouldnt have to pay anything besides the monthly free for ESRP ($4).

Odd that Palm seems to think Sprint will cover the warranty. Sprint won't. Someone F'd up on that one.
    The link you provided states that Sprint will do in-warranty repairs and Palm will do out warranty repairs.

I guess then my question is what is considered in-warranty and what is out out of warranty. The Treo 800w has a 1 year limited warranty.

I find it confusing that every repair for my 700p was done in store or exchanged at the store and not through Palm. In fact, every time they swapped out the 700p, it reset the 1 year limited warranty.

Also, my friend who also has a Treo 800w, which is out of the 30 day period, took his phone into Sprint because his battery wouldn't charge through the charger. Sprint diagnosed the problem as a bad battery and replaced the battery. Sprint did not charge my friend for the new battery.

Tae
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    I don't have mine handy, but isn't there a warranty card in the box the 800w came in? Most consumer electronics have a 1-year manufacturer's limited warranty these days, with limited meaning (in a general sense) "if you sat on it, don't call us", etc.

FYI Mine did the lines on the screen thing once or twice, but it's not a regular occurrence. Does yours recover, or is it stuck that way? If it recovers, you might try a hard reset and see if it happens more or less than before. I think I noticed it after installing some software, but I don't recall what it was, and I can't really reconcile why installing software (but not running it) would cause a screen issue.
    The problem started today on my current phone. Haven't hard reset it yet on this phone. However, as mentioned, this is the 2nd phone having the same issue. While I had the first 800w, I have tried both soft resets and hard resets. It will make the problem go away temporary, but it would come back within hours or days. After the hard reset, I had the problem occur with no other 3rd party software.

Tae
    You can always try just returning it because the GPS is defective (no standalone mode) and then buy another one with the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Next Steps View Post

Yeah that is the trend to push the the protection plans.

What I would do is call tech support and ask that they assign an advance RMA with an overide to classify it as a within 30 return even though it is outside of 30 days. they can do this and note it to your account and then you go into a a sprint store (even though you had it diagnosed over the phone it still has to be a store that does repairs) and they will give you a new one.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    If you get no satisfaction from Sprint, in my Sprint 800w box there is a Palm Limited Warranty sheet indicating that there is a 1-year warranty on hardware. The Palm rep *might* have been trying to help you out, because most carriers will replace a defective phone in the store (I've had Verizon give me a replacement phone way out of warranty and seen countless others in the same situation), since they want to keep you up and running as a customer. If you go the Palm warranty route, you have to send in your phone and wait for a replacement. That's giving the benefit of the doubt, though. If Palm denies the existence of a warranty that's printed in the box, that's quite serious to me and I'd start thinking "lawyer".
    yeah it depends on your time needs. from a practical standpoint, if you have a handset you can use and find acceptable to use for 20 to 30 days lying around, send in the 800w to Palm.

Sadly they recently changed their advance exchange. last time I used it on a 10 month old palm they took your card number and sent a new palm. they did not bill the card if you sent your old one back and it was not user damage. so you were only out $6 to send it. now they charge a non refundable $25 to do this.

As I said I would try and get a sympathetic sprint tech support to note you for 30 days even though you are outside of it.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks all. I do have several phones that I can use while waiting for my phone to return from repairs. That's not an issue. I can always go back to my 700p for awhile.

Does the 30 day return policy reset each time you get a new phone? Meaning, it's been over 30 days since I got my first 800w, but less than 30 days since I traded in my first 800w for a new 800w because of the same problem I experienced with the 1st unit.

I'm concerned with the trend I'm seeing with the 800w.

Thanks all!

Tae
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    Thanks all. I do have several phones that I can use while waiting for my phone to return from repairs. That's not an issue. I can always go back to my 700p for awhile.

Does the 30 day return policy reset each time you get a new phone? Meaning, it's been over 30 days since I got my first 800w, but less than 30 days since I traded in my first 800w for a new 800w because of the same problem I experienced with the 1st unit.

I'm concerned with the trend I'm seeing with the 800w.

Thanks all!

Tae
    30 Day return policy is from when you buy the FIRST phone. It doesn't reset.
    Sprint has handled all warranty work on treos since the treo 300. I believe the warranty is one year free from defect. Dont confuse "defect" with dropping it, etc. That is what the insurance is for.

Sprint should handle it. I believe that your new phone will come with a new 1 yr warranty.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Sprint has handled all warranty work on treos since the treo 300. I believe the warranty is one year free from defect. Dont confuse "defect" with dropping it, etc. That is what the insurance is for.

Sprint should handle it. I believe that your new phone will come with a new 1 yr warranty.
    -Rob
    yeah, but this changed in July. If you don't have insurance and plan a claim under warranty for problems not caused by the user, if you go through sprint you have to pay ($55 I believe) for sprint to handle the "warranty transaction."
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post

-Rob
    Yes, that has been my experience with the 700p as well. Even the URL provided by Next Step in the beginning of the thread states Sprint is responsible for in warranty repairs even though he states to go through Palm.

I guess I should call Sprint Business and get clarification. I just shudder at the thought of calling Sprint though. I normally just end up being frustrated from their lack of knowledge.

Tae
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    yeah, but this changed in July. If you don't have insurance and plan a claim under warranty for problems not caused by the user, if you go through sprint you have to pay ($55 I believe) for sprint to handle the "warranty transaction."
    Aero,

Can you point me to where it shows the change made in July? Will save me a call into Sprint, which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks,

Tae
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    Aero,
    Can you point me to where it shows the change made in July? Will save me a call into Sprint, which I'm trying to avoid.Thanks,Tae
    My point is I would call sprint. get to their treo support. they have seen the rainbow lines. you have a chance that phone support will give you within 30 day terms for advance replacement. Otherwise you are going to have to go through palm.
    Sprint hasn't handled warranty service on ANY phone since December 31, 2005. I've been a tech since the merger and we've never done warranty repairs for Palm devices. There are certain situations where we might waive a fee, but as of right now, any defect on a PDA will cost $55 to fix if you dont have ESRP. If its physical damage, that price goes up to $119.
    yes there was a change in 2005 and then a change in the fee structure in July. But in store and telephone support can flag your problem handset for a 30 day A(dvance)RMA even if you are over 30 days. I had this done recently on a seven week old 800W. it is worth a try.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Lol, Palm says contact Sprint, Sprint says contact Palm. I had this runaround from Palm when I bought a NIB Palm that would not even power up on day one from a Palm store two years ago.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast