Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is very strange.. my 800w can't update its PRL over the air. I called Sprint to have my account flagged, and now every time I call *2, it updates my PRL, even though the version is never showing up as 60614 (there was a recent update). This sounds very similar to the Centro's problem with PRL updates... Anyone willing to attempt an update on their 800W?
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Tried it, and it does the same to me. To this day I dial *2 and it will still say i have a update.
    Treo 650>XV6700>Moto Q>BB Curve>Moto Q9>Treo 700wx>Treo 800w>Samsung Moment
  3.    #3  
    Interesting thought: could this feature be intentionally crippled? Think for a moment, the Centro had this same bug, and it was eventually patched for Sprint around the time the 800w came out, and the Centro was out on Verizon for several months. Surely this bug would have been looked for on the 800w. My guess is that perhaps Palm (potentially under pressure from Sprint) intentionally disabled OTASP to help prevent people from using 800ws and Centros on Verizon and other networks. It just doesn't make sense for the same "bug" to show up on another device, one that came out months after the first one was "fixed".
    This is the first report I have heard of this and will be sure to investigate further and make sure the proper people are notified if this is indeed a true bug. The 800w shipped with PRL 60613 which was the current one until about a week ago. I will update when i know more. Its to late to have my account flagged but will I will do it first thing tommorow.

Muff
    what is PRL
    Preferred Roaming List
    thanks
    Ok, so I had my account flagged this morning and verified that the update will not complete and the account stays flagged for the update. I have notified my contact in Consumer Equipment and also my local Palm Field Rep. I am awaiting a response from both. I have asked a number of my fellow technicians and none of them have reported hearing this from anyone yet. The newest PRL was just released last week I believe it will have a minimal impact if any until a work around/fix is implemented. To my knowledge nothing has changed signifacantly in regards to roaming anyways. I am glad this was discovered early and am positive a resolution will be forthcoming either from Palm or Sprint. Thanks again for reporting this issue, anymore updates and I will post again

Muff
  9.    #9  
    Whether intentionally or unintentionally, it seems that the phone can download the PRL okay, but it probably isn't doing anything when it receives the OTASP "commit" command to save the downloaded PRL to flash if I had to make a guess. Surprisingly, it doesn't cause the Sprint OTASP system to report a failure (perhaps it doesn't report failures, or only reports them if the PRL download fails, but not the commit?). At any rate... interesting little bug.
  10.    #10  
    Solved. The trick is to go into QPST and change the home NID from 0 to 65535.
    huh?
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
  12.    #12  
    QPST is a program developed by Qualcomm, intended for internal use by cellphone manufacturers and networks. It can be used to change the network ID parameter in the phone's NVRAM to 65535, which allows OTA PRL updates to function properly.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Is it still ##MSL# to access NID? I tried it and all it is is my MDN and MSID.
  14.    #14  
    I haven't managed to find a way aside from using QPST... analyzing ActivationApp.exe (the program that has this stuff) reveals that its in there, but we don't know how to invoke it.
    I heard back from both people I contacted and have been assured by both of them that Palm is aware of the issue and it will be addressed in the first ROM upgrade for the device. No ETA was provided for the release but with all the little updates that are out it should not be long.

I will test techfury90's method using our in-house software program which is allot like QPST, but if I have to hook it up to a computer to modify the NID, I might as well just update the devices PRL over the wire.
    If I am able to modify it with our program, I will post that it is possible, because if I can do it... any tech at a corporate store should be able to do this as well (not that they will) but I can only speak for myself. Thanks again for everyones input.

Muff
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Techfury, thanks for checking. I know I wasn't losing my mind when I did the ##MSL# to try to get to the NID. I can wait till the rom update, my phone is working prett good.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    I heard back from both people I contacted and have been assured by both of them that Palm is aware of the issue and it will be addressed in the first ROM upgrade for the device. No ETA was provided for the release but with all the little updates that are out it should not be long.

I will test techfury90's method using our in-house software program which is allot like QPST, but if I have to hook it up to a computer to modify the NID, I might as well just update the devices PRL over the wire.
    If I am able to modify it with our program, I will post that it is possible, because if I can do it... any tech at a corporate store should be able to do this as well (not that they will) but I can only speak for myself. Thanks again for everyones input.

Muff
    Excellent news. I'm curious, is said program InfoSoft/Spirent PST with some kind of DLL, or have they moved away from that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    I heard back from both people I contacted and have been assured by both of them that Palm is aware of the issue and it will be addressed in the first ROM upgrade for the device.
    Are you absolutely 100% sure they said ROM upgrade?

It's not nice to tease.
  19.    #19  
    You never know Palm...
    Speaking of you Ebag333, it was a thread of yours that gave me the idea to change the NID to 65535. Thanks a lot for posting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by techfury90 View Post
    Speaking of you Ebag333, it was a thread of yours that gave me the idea to change the NID to 65535. Thanks a lot for posting that.
    Sure, I'll take credit for it.

(Which thread, incidentally?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast