1.    #1  
    Now that the Pro is likely to have an ATT release, is their any reason to wait for the Pro to come through my carrier? In other words, other then a cheaper price, will it come with any other benefits built in?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    If at&t releases the phone, you can be sure it will be loaded up with bloatware. Unlikely that an at&t-specific release will be an improvement.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    AT&T will also include the latest software/firmware versions. Hopefully Palm will make these freely available to all of us... and not just the carriers.
    If you purchase now its fully unlocked. The only issue I see is it won't have a branded navigation program. So with an aftermarket one from TomTom, Garmin, etc. your ok. My buddy got his today and he just put his ATT SIM in. The internet settings carried over. He just called me and it sounded great. He is bringing it over so I can play with it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    The ONLY reason to wait for AT&T is they seem to put thier phones through the testing ringer before releasing them, so you have less chance of getting a clunker.

But get a custom ROM to remove that annoying bloatware!! It would be nice if they let you choose which of their branded apps to install. There are some apps I can use but others just take up unnecessary space because I will never use them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The ONLY reason to wait for AT&T is they seem to put thier phones through the testing ringer before releasing them, so you have less chance of getting a clunker.

But get a custom ROM to remove that annoying bloatware!! It would be nice if they let you choose which of their branded apps to install. There are some apps I can use but others just take up unnecessary space because I will never use them.
    What kind of apps have come from ATT in the past that you consider to ne worthwhile?

Thanks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    The built-in mail app and IM app come to mind right away since I use those a lot. Although they don't always include these on WM phones. But my Blackjack 2 has them. Also the GPS could be useful, except it's often locked down to AT&T's Telenav.

But what's useless to me is all the links to their stores and media services. There are just too many!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Of course the AT&T phone will likely have a subsidy too if you extend your contract anyway--which could be worth $200 bucks or so.

I have the unlocked Pro on AT&T and it works great.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
    Now that the Pro is likely to have an ATT release, is their any reason to wait for the Pro to come through my carrier? In other words, other then a cheaper price, will it come with any other benefits built in?
    Often, a carrier's customizations turn out to be "bloatware" or "crapware". But if I needed to save a couple of hundred bucks, I might be able to put up with the wait.

I like my Pro, though.
    mobilelawyer
    at your service
    The one thing I really like about the unlocked Pro is that you don't have to worry about the "Get XpressMail" prompt.
    I was almost willing to switch to AT&T just because of the Treo Pro until I looked on AT&T's website and it looks like I need to sign a 2 year contract weather or not I have my own phone. Screw that! Is this true?
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    I was almost willing to switch to AT&T just because of the Treo Pro until I looked on AT&T's website and it looks like I need to sign a 2 year contract weather or not I have my own phone. Screw that! Is this true?
    Shouldn't be--AT&T does offer "SIM-only" arrangements where you specify the plan you want and just pay $25 for the SIM. IIRC, they don't do a contract for that.

Of course, it also depends on how well-informed the reps at your store are.
    blackberry connect?