Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. eugarps's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi,

    I have a brand new TP sitting here in its unopened shipping box. I'd like to open and use it but am curious about how many bars I'll get compared to my RAZR and Generation One iPhone? The iPhone is awful for reception and I'm sure now that the problem is the phone and not AT&T. My RAZR gets 3 bars here at my house while the iPhone gets maybe 1 and sometimes "No Service."

    I hate to waste the money I'll lose just by opening the Treo Pro.

    Any thoughts from you all?

    TIA,
    Best,

    Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
  2. cortezi's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #2  
    not sure i understand how you'll lose money by opening the box....but, the only way you'll answer your questions is to take it out of the box, turn it on and make your own assessment. reception will be different based on where you're located. if it doesn't work for you just send it back to Palm-you have 30 days to evaluate. by the way, i get 1 to 4 bars at home, but haven't had any problems making calls, surfing the web, etc. the only time i look at the signal bars is if i can't make a call or the call is dropped... hope it works for you.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  3. #3  
    I just went through 2 months of pure iphone hell. Been using Black Jack 2 for three days and it was been wonderful. I am leaving work to go pick up my T-Pro now, I think TP's reception will be an easy thing to judge after having 2 different ATT phones the last 2 1/2 months both with much different reception.
  4. #4  
    It's better than the BlackJack II but not as good as the Moto Q9h.
  5. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #5  
    I have the following example: in my cubicle, with my old Tilt, I got about 2 bars and I could only see EDGE speeds. With my Pro, in the exact same location, I can get 2 bars with HSDPA speeds. The better the reception the faster data you can handle, so if I'm seeing HSDPA then I know it is a good reception (extremely good!)
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  6. #6  
    This thread might help a little with your decision:
    http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=170489
    Just call me Berd.
  7. eugarps's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
       #7  
    Thanks. I got out my trusty Boy Scout Whittler and opened the box, stuck the SIM in it, and lit it up. It gets 1-2 more bars than my iPhone 1st Gen.

    Now what do I do about one bad pixel? Wonder if Palm would do a swap for one bad pixel?

    Thanks to all who've responded,
    Best,

    Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
  8. #8  
    I use mine on TMO network. I never got great coverage in my office with my 680 unlocked with tmo, but near the windows it worked.
    I get no reception in my office now at all.

    A friend says its if i was able to disable the 3g then i would get better reception... any thoughts on that?

    Other then that, I have no other probs, as I do and I did get great coverage before.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by onmymarc View Post
    A friend says its if i was able to disable the 3g then i would get better reception... any thoughts on that?
    I don't know whether it will get better reception but it will save the battery life.
  10. #10  
    It may get better reception if you disable it because the 3G is really AT&T's 3G bands that it's searching for.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It may get better reception if you disable it because the 3G is really AT&T's 3G bands that it's searching for.
    That makes sense, because he's on T-mo and they don't use the same 3G band right?
    Just call me Berd.
  12. #12  
    T-Mobile USA uses the obscure AWS, which is so unique as of now, very few phones have it, let alone smartphones!

    Although a T-Mobile Bold has been spotted.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #13  
    Reporting.. my coverage is great.. as good as BJ2. Blows away the coverage for the iphone. THe phone is clear, speakerphone the best on any Treo so far. and plenty of coverage. Will test dropped calls tomorrow at work.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 10/01/2008 at 01:04 AM.
  14. #14  
    I also note that the Treo Pro has been "blue tick" certified by Telstra here in Australia, which means it is "recommended for rural handheld coverage" on their UMTS850 network. Assuming it isn't all marketing fluff, it should have above average reception on a UMTS850 network (as I recall, AT&T also uses UMTS850 for their 3G service).

    If you're in an area that has decent 3G coverage, I'd switch the phone to 3G-only rather than GSM-only. Mind you, either setting should help with the battery usage, since it is only looking for one network rather than two.

    I'm yet to compare the reception on my Treo Pro to that of my 750, however.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    I also note that the Treo Pro has been "blue tick" certified by Telstra here in Australia, which means it is "recommended for rural handheld coverage" on their UMTS850 network. Assuming it isn't all marketing fluff, it should have above average reception on a UMTS850 network (as I recall, AT&T also uses UMTS850 for their 3G service).

    If you're in an area that has decent 3G coverage, I'd switch the phone to 3G-only rather than GSM-only. Mind you, either setting should help with the battery usage, since it is only looking for one network rather than two.

    I'm yet to compare the reception on my Treo Pro to that of my 750, however.
    I think for onmymarc's case, phone diva is correct that it would prolly be better if he disabled 3g. I'm pretty sure US t-mo won't even get 3g on a Pro.
    I seem to remember reading that the Pro won't work with US T-mo 3G network.
  16. #16  
    The pro def works on Tmo...just not 3g.
    Any ideas how to disable 3g on the pro?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by onmymarc View Post
    The pro def works on Tmo...just not 3g.
    Any ideas how to disable 3g on the pro?
    Go to Settings>Phone>Band and change the top selection from "Auto" to "GSM". This blocks 3G.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  18. #18  
    I also read it somewhere else.

    From MobilityToday:

    "Unfortunately, the T-Mobile 3G network is on 1700mhz not 2100"

    So yes, The pro will work with t-mo just not on 3g
    Just call me Berd.
  19. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I just went through 2 months of pure iphone hell. Been using Black Jack 2 for three days and it was been wonderful. I am leaving work to go pick up my T-Pro now, I think TP's reception will be an easy thing to judge after having 2 different ATT phones the last 2 1/2 months both with much different reception.
    I got a call today, and it was ear-piercingly loud. So I believe it does have good reception, however, I believe I receive very good 3G reception in my neighborhood.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    It's better than the BlackJack II but not as good as the Moto Q9h.
    Well said.
    I live out where good reception is a must.
    I had higher hopes for the Pro. Not saying it's bad, it's not bad, but it's not amazing like I had hoped. I took the sim out of my wifes phone, put it in my 750, put both the pro and 750 in field test mode, and they are practically identical. I love the Pro, but if the q9h was a PPC and had a bigger screen, I'd be gone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions