1.    #1  
    Ok so I had a 700p Treo that I finally gave up on about a year ago... Looks Like Verizon is giong to have the 800w... how is the 800w?? I loved my 700p, just not it's endless crashes, delays, etc...

How is the OS, and navigation compared to the 700p??

How is it as an MP3 Player? How is the Wi-Fi and BlueTooth?

I am due on my new every 2 in the begining of November, so I am doing my research now...

Thanks,

Lou
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen001 View Post
    How is the OS, and navigation compared to the 700p??
    I upgraded from the 650 to the 800w and I like that WM allows me to really run a number of things at once. Which is good, but takes some learning, because you have to check to be sure programs are fully closed. With the Palm OS, usually if you don't see it you assume it's not running, not so with WM, you've got to be sure a program is closed fully.

How is it as an MP3 Player?
    If you're familiar with Windows Media player, the one on the Treo 800w is very similar. Personally, I have not even purchased a WM Pocket Tunes license yet, I have not "needed" it. I might still get Pocket Tunes as some point, but then again, maybe not. At least with the 800w I've got "maybe not" as an option.

How is the Wi-Fi
    Great.

and BlueTooth?
    Works fine for me.

With the Treo 800w, you have to consider the short battery life and how you will deal with that. If you're near chargers all day you'll be fine. But if you're out and about usually every day, you need to consider getting something like the 2600 Extended Battery. Also see, the results of this poll and some of the comments there.

And for your car you want to get a car charger. You'll probably use GPS at some point for directions and the car charger is nice to have.

Another good charging option for when you're on the go is the Sprint Portable Power Pack. You better read a good bit of that thread if you consider getting that though.

You'll find WM replacements for your favorite Palm programs in time, but keep in mind that you're very familiar with the vast Palm resources out there. The WM resources are also vast in number, but you'll have to start from learning about them all.
    In regards to making sure a program is closed, that's only an issue with the 800w if you actually need the program closed for whatever reason, or if you're somehow running out of memory. As long as your device has lots of memory, you don't really have to worry about closing programs on Windows Mobile. I only stop programs occasionally when I happen to think about it. Otherwise, my 700wx has so much memory that I don't really need to think about how much memory a program is taking up
    Trevante - Remember the 800w battery life matter? Things running in the background takes some battery life .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Trevante - Remember the 800w battery life matter? Things running in the background takes some battery life .
    Ah I suppose, but I don't think it's a substantial amount, unless the program is actually running stuff in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Ah I suppose, but I don't think it's a substantial amount, unless the program is actually running stuff in the background.
    Oh yes it is a substantial amount. Search around some of this forum more and you'll see details. We who have the Treo 800w know from experience, leave nothing unessential running. Even programs not processing anything use battery if not fully exited.
    I leave a ton of apps "open" in the background all the time and *never* manage my memory--I don't even know how how much RAM I have left right now.

If it doesn't touch the cpu, it won't have an effect visible effect on battery life.
    I can only speak for my own device and personal testing.

Having applications open, the idle battery drain was much faster. I've also found the idle battery drain is faster if the data connection is on even when dormant.

But those have just been my own experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I leave a ton of apps "open" in the background all the time and *never* manage my memory--I don't even know how how much RAM I have left right now.

If it doesn't touch the cpu, it won't have an effect visible effect on battery life.
    Mal, I have to agree with you on this. I did my own 'unscientific' test by going a day or two and making sure to close apps after finishing and then another couple of days not worrying about the apps. I could not tell a difference.I even left IE open. Since it was a static page and not trying to access the network, I assume it was drawing power. At one point I had around 15 apps showing the Task Manager. Now, I don't worry about closing apps unless I start seeing a slowdown.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone