Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    For those who can't get it to charge, have you got Activesync running on the laptop/PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    For those who can't get it to charge, have you got Activesync running on the laptop/PC?
    The 800w will not charge unless it gets the OK when a network connection is (possibly) present.

Very easy to test by disabling the network connection (have to do it with the device hooked up), unplugging, and replugging back in.

This is because the 800w meets the actual USB specs that devices need to request high power before taking it. So if it can't request it, it will only pull a very small trickle charge.

Sounds like the Pro might be the same.
    Ebag333

You could be right. My desktop at home was running with Activesync on and charging seems okay.

On the other hand, PC at work and Macbook has no Activesync on.
    Okay.

I just ran Parallel Software on my Macbook and got WinXP/Activesync on.
    It is communicating. And I immediately see charge level goes up by 1%.
    Keeping finger cross and hopely that will do the job.

Will feedback on the outcome.

Cheers
    I can confidently say its working now.

Charge is now at 75% as opposed to 12% when it wasn't charging.

I guess need to "activate" the juice booster on the USB for it to work.
    And to do that, need to run ACTIVESYNC. Surprised that the ACTIVESYNC was able to connect to the PRO via the Parallel software run MACBOOK. I could not get my previous iMate connected via this method, and so I never bother to try. What a welcome relief and new discovery.

Thank to the forumners.
    Quote Originally Posted by scenicmmx View Post
    I guess need to "activate" the juice booster on the USB for it to work.
    And to do that, need to run ACTIVESYNC.
    You can also get a charge only cable (won't do sync/data) to get around this.
    this is clearly a bug that needs to be addressed by Palm.
    I can't get mine to charge via bluetooth :-)

Seriosly though, on the mac book with missing sync mine charges fine!!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Woah that's pretty stupid. Needing software to charge.
    In that case can anyone confirm a good charge only cable on the market? I'm starting to sync with Google's cloud now anyway.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The 800w will not charge unless it gets the OK when a network connection is (possibly) present.

Very easy to test by disabling the network connection (have to do it with the device hooked up), unplugging, and replugging back in.

This is because the 800w meets the actual USB specs that devices need to request high power before taking it. So if it can't request it, it will only pull a very small trickle charge.

Sounds like the Pro might be the same.
    The network connection on the PC has nothing to do with it, all you need is an Activesync connection (all though disabling the PC's network while Activesync is connected will b*gger up TCP/IP routing, so give a similar effect).

It's oh-so-simple. Trickle charge needs Activesync. Full charge needs data pins shorted. It's not peculiar to the Treo, nor is it a bug. It's required to meet USB spec. And it's geting boring repeating the same over and over!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=36
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=26

BTW, fixed your calculator yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    It's oh-so-simple. Trickle charge needs Activesync. Full charge needs data pins shorted. It's not peculiar to the Treo, nor is it a bug. It's required to meet USB spec. And it's geting boring repeating the same over and over!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=36
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=26
    Err, I think you mean that full charge needs ActiveSync. (Full meaning high power according to USB spec, which is 500 mAh IIRC.)

Trickle charge is what you get when you don't have a connection to ActiveSync. (Trickle meaning low power according to USB spec, which is 100 mAh.)

Many devices do not follow the USB specs. The only peculiar thing about the Treo (be it the 800w or Pro) is that it seems to follow USB specs fairly closesly.
  12. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Err, I think you mean that full charge needs ActiveSync. (Full meaning high power according to USB spec, which is 500 mAh IIRC.)

Trickle charge is what you get when you don't have a connection to ActiveSync. (Trickle meaning low power according to USB spec, which is 100 mAh.)

Many devices do not follow the USB specs. The only peculiar thing about the Treo (be it the 800w or Pro) is that it seems to follow USB specs fairly closesly.
    I know what I mean, thanks Full charge = supplying all the current the device asks for, i.e. sufficient to meet all the demands of the device AND charge the battery as quickly as possible.

You won't get that with USB "high power" mode (i.e. host data connection active = Activesync running) as the maximum any USB port will supply is 500mA, and many devices (especially notebooks) supply much less, even if "high power" mode is enabled.

That's why you find plenty of devices that will connect and indicate charging by LED and icon, but will in fact lose charge over time, especially when power hungry components like screens, fast CPUs, 3G/WLAN/GPS radios are in use. Often you're getting less than trickle charge rate as the maximum current available isn't sufficient to meet the device's needs.

"Full charge", as I referred to it, equates to the "Battery Charging specification" appended to USB 2.0, which allows up to 1.5A to be supplied to devices with USB client ports from a dedicated charger. That's what you get with a purpose-designed car charger, or a USB lead and USB car adapter (capable of 1.5A) which has been modified to emulate a "battery charger" to the device by shorting the +/- data pins.

The 100mA spec, known as "low power", is intended only for bus-powered devices like USB key drives, mice and keyboards. It's entirely unsuitable for thirsty devices like the Treo so is not enabled by Palm. In fact, given that any demands above 100mA would result in the host shutting down the whole port with a power surge error (and any hubs downstream), it would be stupid of them to do so.

The USB power spec is as much about protecting the integrity and reliablity of the host and other peripherals on your PC as it is your device. That's why, on the Treo Pro, you get nothing at all from a PC unless a USB data connection is active (and then only limited charging), and you'll only get "full" charging from a power lead meant to do just that.
    Last edited by Me2; 11/14/2008 at 10:19 AM.
    So the cable that comes in the Treo Pro box is a power lead that just happens to sync data also?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    No no, The cable itself is a regular USB 2.0 cable. The charger that comes with the Pro has the data leads shorted.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Ahhh I see.
    Yeah so any recommendations on a cable with these points shorted would be great as I just want a light cable to leave plugged into a PC at work to charge my Treo without ActiveSync. I sync with the cloud now.
    Having said that I'll bet my office will give me a terminal without USB ports next :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    Ahhh I see.
    Yeah so any recommendations on a cable with these points shorted would be great as I just want a light cable to leave plugged into a PC at work to charge my Treo without ActiveSync. I sync with the cloud now.
    Having said that I'll bet my office will give me a terminal without USB ports next :-/
    For car charging, i've pulled apart 2 x Auto (12v) USB chargers and shorted the data tabs, doesn't seem to affect the other devices I charge with them (ipod touch, Nintendo DS) and they work fine with the supplied USB cable.
    As to your question, for charging at work, I'm pretty sure there are cables for sale with sync/charge switches on them, additionally there are very cheap generic wall chargers available, I think most stuff for the MotoQ works for the TP, probably a quicker charge than you'll get off your laptop/pc?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

17. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    For car charging, i've pulled apart 2 x Auto (12v) USB chargers and shorted the data tabs, doesn't seem to affect the other devices I charge with them (ipod touch, Nintendo DS) and they work fine with the supplied USB cable.
    Exactly what I did too. 2 minutes work with soldering iron and works perfectly.

As to your question, for charging at work, I'm pretty sure there are cables for sale with sync/charge switches on them, additionally there are very cheap generic wall chargers available, I think most stuff for the MotoQ works for the TP, probably a quicker charge than you'll get off your laptop/pc?
    For charging from a PC, I found this
    http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=128585

Doesn't say whether the "on/off" switch just disconnects the data lines to stop sync, or whether it switched to engage Battery Charging or High Power mode. The breakout box in the middle should make it easy enough to mod and fit a micro USB lead or use a mico-mini USB adapter such as
    http://www.google.com/products?q=SKN...Products&hl=en

Cheap enough to have a punt though? ( I would, but my TP has gone to hospital and I've no idea when it will come back).

Of course using Battery Charging mode on the PC gives the danger that the Treo could try and draw more than 500mA and shut the PC USB port down. It would be better to trick the Treo/PC into the High Power mode by simulating a host data "connection" even when Activesync isn't running on the PC. For that, we need to know what conditions need to exist on the +/- data lines, and if this can be easily simulated (e.g. a resistive connection to 5V or ground). There's also the risk that getting it wrong could fry your device.

Anyone know how USB host connection is signalled?
    Thank you guys,
    I had the same problem with a Versacharger Pro not charging my Treo Pro.
    I managed to open the charger and short inner data pins (positive and negative data pins) and now my charger is charging my Treo with no problem, both in the car and in the power outlet.
    Thanks again,
    Christian.
    Hi there,

Had the same annoying issue with my pro, bought an oem usb car charger, all the ratings are the same as the official pro charger. Left it too late to return so decided to 'modify' my charger. Once opened up it was simple and works a dream, just shorted the D+/- terminals on the usb socket on the rear of the PCB, quick blob of solder and sorted! Thanks for everyone's input, a few pounds saved (all good!) Thought I'd share the pics so that those who are not sure can have a look. Unfortunately as this is my first post it won't let me post the pics on the thread so I've dropped an address in. The first pic shows the outside of the charger, the second shows the top of the PCB, the next two show the rear of the usb socket before and after 'very crude blob of solder'! Hope this helps!

s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww245/rupidoo/?newest=1 (add http: etc)
    I need to decide whether I wanna try this with my HTC car charger and home AC charger. I guess it couldn't hurt. If I'm understanding right it'll still charge with the mini-micro USB Moto dongle that I bought, correct?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast