1.    #1  
    Well I got my Treo "pro" yesterday... and I Must say.. the Keyboard is HORRIBLE in my humble opinion. Maybe should have been named
    Treo "Toddler"
    They are VERY flat and have virtually no tactile feel across the keyboard.. if I close my eyes I could almost be running my finger tips across a flat surface..
    The keys are extremely close together and requires finger tips to type.
    The keys are built for a very slender finger.. definitely not a mans hand.
    I have not used it in real time situations (I will today) but on first impressions.. I am returning it. Prob give the Blackberry Bold a whirl when it is released.. ( if ever). In the meantime.. I can type as fast, probably faster
    on the Iphone 3G.. I know I know... I want all of the "stuff" that comes with the Palm Treo.. voice dial, WORD, MMS, but.. that Keyboard is killing me..
    maybe I'll get used to it.. I don't know...I'll give it a couple days
    on a side note.. WOW it is a fingerprint/Grease magnet.. !!!
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I have to agree, the keyboard is dreadful. But you do improve on it with practice, as I did with my previous Treo. And the rest of the phone is superb, I prefer it to the BB Bold, which I returned.
  3.    #3  
    ahh A man I need to talk to!!
    So YOu had the BOLD?
    what didn't you like about it?
    I know the OS is a personal matter.. how about the physical layout, using the phone, etc... also I would think the Browser is better than WM6..no?
    thanks
    I agree, but after a week of moderate use, the keyboard is growing on me... you get used to it.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    I think this keyboard is more durable than the Treo 750 / 680 type. That's why Palm is using this type of keyboard.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I thought I would have trouble with the keyboard compared to the 750, but it's getting better for me and I can deal with it. I agree that it seems it will be more reliable over the long term.
    What is unreliable or less endurable about the 750's kb?
    Well, I have to say that so far I REALLY like the keyboard on the Pro. I have not hammered it so far and have not done a great deal of speed typing but what I have done so far has been a joy. I have moved from a 750V and was starting to find that random letters were not coming out when I typed them and I was constantly having to back space to re-type them in or having to just go for it and type the whole document "warts and all" and then paw over it to find out where the mistakes were made.

The keys on the pro are smaller but I have managed to connect with the one I want every time, meaning I have not had to go back and correct mistakes etc.

I don't know if its just me, but the whole keyboard feels slightly concave and I like the feel that it is wrapping itself into my two hands as I type. It sort of snuggles in there. The 750V certainly felt convext and I'm sure if I went back to it, it would feel un-natural.

The thing that has always bugged me and would have been nice would be the ability to move from the start of a word to the start of the next word in a row like you can on a normal keyboard by holding Ctrl and hitting the left or right key. I know you can press and hold the Option key and press the five way, which will move you to the end of a line, but it would be nice to have the ability to move from word to word.

Cheers

Agg
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Well, the keyboard may not be a 650-700p quality, that's for certain, but after coming from an AT&T Tilt the Pro keyboard is a bliss to use... I mean, every thing I used to do with my old 600-700p is there in the pro, with the same layout and responsiveness.

Yes, the keys are flat and it is hard at first to type perfectly. and the straight layout is definitely something to ponder about (oh I do miss the "smiley" layout of yonder). One thing for sure for me is that the KB is not a dealbreaker.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Well, the keyboard may not be a 650-700p quality, that's for certain, but after coming from an AT&T Tilt the Pro keyboard is a bliss to use... I mean, every thing I used to do with my old 600-700p is there in the pro, with the same layout and responsiveness.

Yes, the keys are flat and it is hard at first to type perfectly. and the straight layout is definitely something to ponder about (oh I do miss the "smiley" layout of yonder). One thing for sure for me is that the KB is not a dealbreaker.
    While it annoyed me at first, I got used to the straight layout pretty quick. What I, after two weeks still find troublesome at times is that the space bar is too close to the row above. I accidentally insert spaces all over the place.

And I agree. The Kaiser keyboard sucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    I agree, but after a week of moderate use, the keyboard is growing on me... you get used to it.
    I feel the same.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    You do get used to the keyboard. I just wish I could get used to the frappin' fingerprints.
    I like the keyboard better than the ones on the 750 and 650. I find it much easier to hit the keys on the flat surface and I also like the "feel" when you type.
    I have typed on years worth of Treo's. I don't mind the keyboard at all.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    ahh A man I need to talk to!!
    So YOu had the BOLD?
    what didn't you like about it?
    I know the OS is a personal matter.. how about the physical layout, using the phone, etc... also I would think the Browser is better than WM6..no?
    thanks
    OK, in brief and in no particular order:-

As a phone, I found it hard to use, as it was thin but too wide (great for viewing the screen but cumbersome to hold). This made it feel very insecure in my hand, I always felt like I was going to drop it.

The trackball takes a bit of getting used to and to 'click' with it required a great deal of thumb pressure; so much so that, after two days, I was fumbling for the 'Return' key instead of the trackball to confirm an action. I really felt my thumb wouldn't stand up to that kind of strain for the long-term.

In fact, after four days, the trackball started 'catching' whenever I tried to move the cursor upwards, so it wouldn't move smoothly, so that certainly helped my decision to return it.

I didn't like the browser anywhere near as much as the TP's, you get the whole web page on the screen (tiny and illegible) and had to zoom in with the trackball, though it's quite likely there are settings I could have tweaked to improve that.

The native browser ONLY works with WiFi or BlackBerry Internet Service. I didn't want BIS as I have no reason to need push email and resented having to pay an extra 5 a month for something I didn't want. I needed to download Opera Mini for use over the Vodafone network. Also the Vodafone SatNav won't work without BIS!

The keyboard was OK, much wider than than the TP but the apparently pointless slopes on the keys made it feel odd.