Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ok..i have both the iphone 3g and the treo 750....i can switch the sim cards and can use the phones no problem. the problem i am having is when i put the sim card from the iphone into the treo 750...the phone part works fine, but i cant access on the internet on the treo...i keep getting a blank page. when i put the sim card back into the iphone, everything works fine. att tech support cant even fix the problem...anyone know what i can do to fix this...
    I have a 680 and an iPhone and AT&T said it couldn't be done. They said I would have to go to the AT&T store and get a different sim card to use the treo. I have the same problem phone works but not internet. Funny the iPhone sim will work in my HTC 8525.
    Quote Originally Posted by one028 View Post
    ok..i have both the iphone 3g and the treo 750....i can switch the sim cards and can use the phones no problem. the problem i am having is when i put the sim card from the iphone into the treo 750...the phone part works fine, but i cant access on the internet on the treo...i keep getting a blank page. when i put the sim card back into the iphone, everything works fine. att tech support cant even fix the problem...anyone know what i can do to fix this...
    You have to disable the proxy setting. It's a reg edit but the AT&T ROM it has a "proxy manager" in applications under a tools or utilities folder (if I remember right.)
    This disables forcing IE through the proxy. When like this you won't be able to access CV or the medianet site of course. The iPhone data plan doesn't have proxy access, that's all. But direct Internet access is 100% compatible.

There is also a .CAB you can get from my site http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/disableproxy/ under treo hacks, disable medianet proxy.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Taylorh:

Thanks for the tips.

I will be going the other way:

-I have an unlocked 750 from Palm, not an AT+T 750.
    -I am going to get a 3g iPhone on ebay.
    -I have an unlimited PDA plan, unlimited texts (AT+T)
    -Will there be any problems swapping my existing SIM into my new iphone?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisholland View Post
    Taylorh:

Thanks for the tips.

I will be going the other way:

-I have an unlocked 750 from Palm, not an AT+T 750.
    -I am going to get a 3g iPhone on ebay.
    -I have an unlimited PDA plan, unlimited texts (AT+T)
    -Will there be any problems swapping my existing SIM into my new iphone?

Thanks!
    It will work with the caveat that you won't have the 'visual voice mail' feature on the iPhone. But tapping the voice mail tab will still dial in to voice mail normally (as will holding down the 1 button.)

However, AT&T has been diligent. AT&T has been sending out text messages and letters to everyone using an iPhone without having the iPhone data plan. They detect the IMEI number of the iPhone and the know when you use one, and they have been enforcing it.
    They don't enforce anything with any other phone, just iPhone.

At least one person has ignored these communications from AT&T and has not changed the data plan, and so far hasn't had a problem. But AT&T says in the terms and conditions that they can and may switch your data plan without notice to the iPhone data plan.

So yes, you'll eventually have a problem. You can try, but the worst thing that will happen is that they'll let you know they see you doing it.

You can, however use the iPhone 3G data plan on any other phone and they don't care. I don't know why they care either way if it's the same price plan.

EDIT:
    There's an ongoing discussion related to this:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=11845639
    This post here: http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...9&postcount=20 says "Worst case they'll send you a few e-mails and/or text messages "reminding" you to add the proper data plan. But they won't change anything on your account without your permission. Chances are you'll never hear anything from AT&T since they can't recognize that particular IMEI as an iPhone to begin with."
    But that was related to bringing an no-US iPhone to AT&T (not one sold by AT&T.)

And this is another thread specifically on the topic of people using a non-iPhone data plan in an iPhone:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1435644

So take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by taylorh; 10/23/2008 at 03:26 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I
    t will work with the caveat that you won't have the 'visual voice mail' feature on the iPhone. But tapping the voice mail tab will still dial in to voice mail normally (as will holding down the 1 button.)
    Thanks.

I use YouMail, so I dont care about that. I will be using the 750 mostly and the iphone for web/media