Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Okay so I finally found a Vodafone store in the UK that would let me have a touchy feely with the Treo Pro - kudos to Vodafone in York, as it was their only one in stock, but the lady went right ahead and opened it up.

In the hand, the Pro feels exactly as I was expecting - and I had high expectations. Palm have come a long way from the 750v / 680; the Pro made my 680 feel chunky. It has a good screen, workable keyboard*, fairly responsive operating system and decent battery life and signal reports.

I took Charlie along as she has a good idea of style and proportion, she liked it. Actually, no, she liked it more than I did - said it was a good blend of her Centro and my 680.

Will I upgrade to the Pro? It makes sense if I'm prepared to migrate from PalmOS to Windows Mobile. Sure, I have a catalogue of well loved PalmOS applications and sure, most of these are replaceable. Those that are not should work with StyleTap... and yet... this is silly, but if I switch now from the 680 and Palm release a new device running Nova in the first or second quarter, I may want to change the device again. I'd rather not change my device too much - honestly...

Anyway, the Pro has impressed me too much. I was hoping that after time with the BlackBerry Bold I'd think that the hardware, well, it's just meh. But actually it looks and feels superb in the hand. It holds much promise for the new Nova devices in 2009.

I don't think I'm going to upgrade at this juncture. Is this a bad thing? Maybe. Charlie would probably take over the Pro without issue if I did upgrade and then wanted a new Nova device.

I shouldn't have had time with the Pro today! I know I could make it work for me... if I wanted to...

*do bear in mind that for me, any keyboard less than a full size isn't good enough for heavy duty writing but I have a Bluetooth keyboard for my current 680.
    Style Tap is more stable the the Palm OS itself and except for the lack of 5-way support, it does ok. There are replacements for most everything, but there is nothing that does what CallRec does.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Yes, and as I read yesterday, a PDA is a device to fill a need and not a religion to follow regardless. Annnnd waiting for the next big thing means we'd never buy anything! :-)

I'm still leaning towards waiting. Nothing to stop me from taking a look at the Nova devices and opting for Windows Mobile in the New Year...
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Nobody knows how long you'll wait for Nova, or how good it will be...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Or how long they'll be released in the UK, or how compatible with existing applications or how expensive.

I know, I know... <frown>
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I'd recommend NOT waiting for Nova, they have been talking about the "next os" for about 5 years and are no closer to release today. Buy what works for you today, no point in waiting for something that may or may not arrive.

I doubt Palm will ever ship a new OS, they will jump onboard with Android or some other flavor of mobile linux. They just don't have the ability to keep up with the pace of change in the OS market and still develop the "Palm Special Sauce" to keep them relevant.

Palm needs an OS that doesn't require them to depend on Microsoft, so they can control their own destiny. But they have not shown ANY ability to execute a new OS on their own. The recent announcement that Mobile 7 will not ship until late 2009 is proof that you can't have all your eggs in one OS basket. By choosing one of the open platforms, they could leverage the community for development and still add their own touches without having to do it all themselves.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    My confidence with Windows Mobile devices is limited.

My most recent attempt to own a Windows Mobile device was one running WM5, the Qtek 9100 (HTC Wizard I believe). *Superb* hardware. Horrible software. The alarm notification issue was really aggravating as was ActiveSync's occasional decision not to connect, then to treat the device as a new one to the machine, then overwrite everything on there. I gave up. I really wanted to like the WiFi / GSM / Bluetooth / battery life of the Qtek but it wasn't consistent enough to work for me.

Gee, I don't know; I usually use my PDA as the primary device and my work desktop or home notebook as the secondary devices; Microsoft ActiveSync doesn't work well with this relationship (in my experience).

I guess I don't want the Treo Pro to just not work properly. The HTC Wizard was a hugely frustrating experience for me. I did have some stability issues with my 680 when I bought it but after following the instructions ;-) it's worked reasonably well since.

Ultimately, I know that you're right about many things - I have enough confidence in Palm to do the good thing. The hardware for the Pro looks fantastic, my concern is that the software won't be as effective. PalmOS Garnet may be an antique _but_ it's working for me. I think I'm wary of ruining that relationship.

Maybe I should buy a Vodafone 500v - not the same operating system I know - as they're inexpensive at the moment, and try it. Or a 750v. Just to see if I can get by with it...
    The alarm issue is still there. Active Stynk is not a problem. Stability has been excellent. Of. the 4 WM devices I have had, the 800W has been by far the most stable
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    What version of ActiveSync is currently used?

It's as though ActiveSync insists that nobody could possible enter data into the device but instead uses it to read information. That's not how I work; I input a lot of information into the device and read it on the notebook or desktop. Losing a few days of information becomes increasingly frustrating!

Anyway, if the alarm issue is still there and the device has to be tweaked to extend the fifteen second wake up time, my interest in the Pro has taken a big knock.

I can't support an operating system that cannot do a very basic thing... but something I use a lot!
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    What version of ActiveSync is currently used?

My Treo Pro is so much better than my last WM device, which was the original HTC TyTN. I was resetting it several times a day.

The Pro has WM 6.1 which is much more stable, and it hasn't got lots of weird modifications that HTC or the carriers put on it.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    This all sounds good. There's lots of promise for the Nova devices...