Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I got a Plantronics Discovery 925 earpiece the other day because I thought I could charge it with the 800W charger and vice versa. I tried to charge the 800W with the headset charger the other day, and it took all night to increase the charge from 30% to 45% (the red charging light also never cut on, but the battery showed an up arrow to indicate that it was charging). I just looked at the specs and both chargers are supposed to be 100-240V, but there is obviously something slightly different about them. Do I risk damaging either device by charging with the other AC adapter? So far, I like the headset, but if they aren't exactly compatible, I may look elsewhere....
    You need a charger that supplies 5v @ 1 amp in order for the led on the 800w to operate correctly. There's a thread about chargers and charging cables.
    It doesn't need to be 1 amp. I have one that is .55 amp and it charges just fine. Other people have reported the same thing as well. The light works properly as well (as long as you've done the USB update).
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    the 100 to 240 refers to the input voltage. If you look at ac to dc power supplies you have for any device, your cameras, your laptops, your ipod, your hard drive enclosure, etc, chances are that 99% or more are will handle 100 to 240. this simply means you can plug it in anywhere in the world with adapter for the physical plug and means nothing else.

the output voltage on any usb, usb mini and usb micro is almost going to be going to be five volts.

The issue in your case is amperage the fact that the amperage a power supply is capable of delivering will vary. You can look on your charger to see its amperage.

The 800W will charge best with a 1000 mA (one amp) charger. It will also charge ok with 500 mA (half an amp). Your headset charger could be 700 ma, 500 ma or as low as 300 ma or even 150 ma.

Your 800w could, depending on settings and what you are using at the moment, be drawing from between 40 ma to 500 ma.

if you went overnight and added 15%, that would be about 200 ma added to the battery over 8 hours or 25 ma per hour. this is possible if you are using an underpowered charger.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Thanks for the response. If i charge the headset with my Treo charger, can I potentially break it? Are there any decent headsets with identical charging specs to the 800w? Ive already gotten a motorola car charger and travel charger, and both of them seem to be identical to the Treo's charger. I hate the fact that I now have a "black sheep" charger....
    Quote Originally Posted by samboy View Post
    Thanks for the response. If i charge the headset with my Treo charger, can I potentially break it? Are there any decent headsets with identical charging specs to the 800w? Ive already gotten a motorola car charger and travel charger, and both of them seem to be identical to the Treo's charger. I hate the fact that I now have a "black sheep" charger....
    As long as you are using a micro USB charger it will be 5 volts. No need to worry about breaking anything or having a "Black Sheep Charger"

Some headset chargers are very low amperage and may not be able to charge your Treo very quickly (only 15% over night). But it is charging and its not hurting or breaking anything.

Conventional wisdom says that the slower a battery charges the better it is for that battery's health. Therefore if you continuously charge your headset with your higher power 1 amp Treo charger you might shorten the life of that battery to some extent. It wont break it though.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    the main drawback to higher amperage charger is they are more expensive to make and they are larger. Battery overcharge circuits are in the battery and device not in the charger, which is why you don't damage your treo if you use a 2 am p charger or if yo leave a one amp charger connected for long periods of time.

so don't worry about using the higher capacity charger on your headset. I use a two amp 5v power supply for everything usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Conventional wisdom says that the slower a battery charges the better it is for that battery's health. Therefore if you continuously charge your headset with your higher power 1 amp Treo charger you might shorten the life of that battery to some extent. It wont break it though.
    This is not true for the type of batteries used.

Incidentally, you can use a 5 amp charger. The phone will only draw a certain amount of power max. The 5 amps will be availible, but only 1 amp will be used.

Charge it often and as much as possible and the battery will last longer.
    I was on my Thanksgiving trip going thru some areas that used roaming on my phone when I noticed that using a cheap AC charger that i got online with my Treo 800W barely charged my phone...as a matter a fact, my phone was loosing batter strengh while pluged in to the cigarette lighter. Dont understand that...looks like the AC adapter is not strong enough for the phone, even though it was "made" for the Treo 800W