1.    #1  
    so those of you lucky enough to play with your Treo Pro for the weekend..
    What is your impression of the 320x320 screen, build quality and overall speed of your device??

Does the device "creak".. I hate that
    Is the screen viewable in sunlight?
    how is the speed of the device.. (without apps installed.. as this is a huge variable i want to omit)

thanks!!
    enjoy
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Overall impression is great - I've used quite a few WM devices (my previous two were the HP 910c and, before that, the Tilt with no less than 6 different ROMs) and this has much better out-of-the-box speed and stability, in my opinion.

Screen is solid - can't tell you about performance in sunlight as it was raining yesterday and overcast today, but my instinct is that the brightness will need to be tweaked. (I lowered the default screen brightness as I generally don't need it so bright and would prefer to conserve battery - I may increase it slightly to allow for good outdoor use).

No creaking, squeaking or other noises.

The 320x320 seemed impressive but, due to the way WM handles the screen, it seemed that I was getting less information on the screen, albeit with greater sharpness. I decided to install realvga (search on xdadevelopers.com) - By changing the dpi to 96, the screen is outstanding - ability to go small but crisp, lots of readable info on the screen. Just beware that some programs that write directly to the screen don't behave perfectly so there is a tradeoff using a program like that. Long story short - 320x320 as Palm ships it is great, and the improvements you can get with realvga are, in my opinion, worth the occasional graphic distortion.

One problem I've had with device after device that I don't have with the Pro is getting VoiceCommand to work over Bluetooth. MSVC is pre-installed. Seems to work perfectly.

My only gripes:
    1) On prior devices, I was used to a LED to indicate new email messages. The only notification light is limited to voicemail. I hope someone figures out how to hack that functionality. It isn't a huge issue but it's a feature I suddenly miss.

2) Similar to #1, Palm has a great default "screen saver" that will constantly show time, missed calls and text message status. Why not email as well??

3) No way to power the whole device off without removing the battery. For the most part, this isn't a big deal, but there are times when it is important. Let's say, for example, you're on an airplane. You've already powered off the radio (as the FAA rules require) but your battery is running low. You know that when you get to your destination you'll need a working phone until you can get to a charger, so you want to completely power down the device so as to conserve every ounce of remaining battery (i.e., not even draining the small amount that you would do while in standby). Palm takes the approach (unlike other manufacturers) that the device is meant to be "always on" (at least in some fashion) - I would agree 99% of the time, but not having the option to completely power down is a miss. Not a major issue.
    awesome. im glad realvga works on this, im looking forward to trying that program for the first time. im pretty sure someone will come out with a .cab that lets you do other things with the blinking light as well as one that might give us other screensavers.
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    im pretty sure someone will come out with a .cab that lets you do other things with the blinking light as well as one that might give us other screensavers.
    Agreed. One thing we have going for us is that the Pro is, at its core, an HTC device. And the folks over at xda-developers.com have managed to improve the functionality of EVERY HTC device released (including prior Treos) -
    I had mine out in the sun today and it was quite useable. I really didn't expect this as I heard it was poor in bright sunlight. But it is as good as my 750 which was always readable.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the feedback.. should get mine Monday..
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    so those of you lucky enough to play with your Treo Pro for the weekend..
    What is your impression of the 320x320 screen, build quality and overall speed of your device??

Does the device "creak".. I hate that
    Is the screen viewable in sunlight?
    how is the speed of the device.. (without apps installed.. as this is a huge variable i want to omit)

thanks!!
    enjoy
    Can't give a serious review now but i have to say this is a very nice ... very solid device. Best Treo to date.
    - Outstanding build quality ... tight battery back ... no squeaky sides like some of the blackberry's i have had.
    - As fast as most of the latest WM devices ... i came from the q9h and a tilt ... Q is quicker but it's the limited smartphone software. About the same speed as the tilt (my opinion). Little lag opening up contacts ... calculator, etc, but if they remain open in the task manager things are quicker. I do not get into the 3rd party apps so this is based on out of the box and set up with my corp exchange server.
    - I had it outside today and it was fine in the sun. with the improved screen quality it seems better than the Treo 750. Vivid and bright. HTCish!
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 09/27/2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by amg212 View Post
    Overall impression is great - I've used quite a few WM devices (my previous two were the HP 910c and, before that, the Tilt with no less than 6 different ROMs) and this has much better out-of-the-box speed and stability, in my opinion.

Screen is solid - can't tell you about performance in sunlight as it was raining yesterday and overcast today, but my instinct is that the brightness will need to be tweaked. (I lowered the default screen brightness as I generally don't need it so bright and would prefer to conserve battery - I may increase it slightly to allow for good outdoor use).

No creaking, squeaking or other noises.

The 320x320 seemed impressive but, due to the way WM handles the screen, it seemed that I was getting less information on the screen, albeit with greater sharpness. I decided to install realvga (search on xdadevelopers.com) - By changing the dpi to 96, the screen is outstanding - ability to go small but crisp, lots of readable info on the screen. Just beware that some programs that write directly to the screen don't behave perfectly so there is a tradeoff using a program like that. Long story short - 320x320 as Palm ships it is great, and the improvements you can get with realvga are, in my opinion, worth the occasional graphic distortion.

One problem I've had with device after device that I don't have with the Pro is getting VoiceCommand to work over Bluetooth. MSVC is pre-installed. Seems to work perfectly.

My only gripes:
    1) On prior devices, I was used to a LED to indicate new email messages. The only notification light is limited to voicemail. I hope someone figures out how to hack that functionality. It isn't a huge issue but it's a feature I suddenly miss.

2) Similar to #1, Palm has a great default "screen saver" that will constantly show time, missed calls and text message status. Why not email as well??

3) No way to power the whole device off without removing the battery. For the most part, this isn't a big deal, but there are times when it is important. Let's say, for example, you're on an airplane. You've already powered off the radio (as the FAA rules require) but your battery is running low. You know that when you get to your destination you'll need a working phone until you can get to a charger, so you want to completely power down the device so as to conserve every ounce of remaining battery (i.e., not even draining the small amount that you would do while in standby). Palm takes the approach (unlike other manufacturers) that the device is meant to be "always on" (at least in some fashion) - I would agree 99% of the time, but not having the option to completely power down is a miss. Not a major issue.
    actually there's an option that lets you disable the screensaver... and that's equal to turning off the phone...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    The device use not much power while turning on the flight mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    The device use not much power while turning on the flight mode.
    Unfortunately I don't think this is the case: when flight mode is enabled and the phone is on, it consumes as much energy as with the phone radio on. Maybe combining this with disabling the screen saver might help.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Agreed. One thing we have going for us is that the Pro is, at its core, an HTC device. And the folks over at xda-developers.com have managed to improve the functionality of EVERY HTC device released (including prior Treos) -
    True that.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Palm takes the approach (unlike other manufacturers) that the device is meant to be "always on" (at least in some fashion)
    Except BlackBerry, who brag that one reason a BB is better than a Treo is that you never need mess with the power switch on a BB, they're 'always on'. Maybe that's where the idea came from....
    Coming from a Diamond for the last month, I wish the screen was 480 x 480. The proportions would be the same as the Diamond and getting working versions of Slingplayer, etc would be much easier. Palm made so many advancements with this phone the screen is the only part of the device that isn't on par with the rest of the newer phones being released now.

The screen is still good, and much improved from before, so I can't really complain. That being said, 480 would have been the more competitive choice
  14. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Coming from a Diamond for the last month, I wish the screen was 480 x 480. The proportions would be the same as the Diamond and getting working versions of Slingplayer, etc would be much easier. Palm made so many advancements with this phone the screen is the only part of the device that isn't on par with the rest of the newer phones being released now.

The screen is still good, and much improved from before, so I can't really complain. That being said, 480 would have been the more competitive choice
    Your argument on proportions and compatabliity just don't stack up.

480x480 is the same proportion as 320x320 but NOT the same proportion as the Diamond - that's 640x480. Square vs Rectangle. That's how they fit the keyboard in. Geddit?

480x480 would be LESS compatible than 320x320 because there are no other devices using it. Whereas plenty of developers and applications now support 320x320 because of the popularity of the i780.

Competitive? The benefits of going any higher res on a screen as small as this are pretty minimal, after all, there's a limit to how small text can be whilst still being readable. But the impact on speed and battery life would be major. Just ask any Diamond owner!
    Last edited by Me2; 09/29/2008 at 10:58 AM.
    The Treo and Diamond screens are almost the exact same WIDTH, although the Diamond screen is taller. Get it now? PPI would be the same as the Diamonds'

If you remember when this was talked about when the WM Treo's first came out, the Palm Treo's were 320x320 but WM was 240x240, and everyone was complaining. The reason was WM didn't support 320x320, mainly because it wasn't in line with their rectangular resolutions. 240x240 is easier to adjust to from 320x240 by just cutting screen real estate. 320x320 requires stretching, which is a little more complicated.

Look at it this way- why is there no Slingplayer Mobile for 320x320 yet? WM6 began support for 320x320 over a year ago. The Samsung i780 was released earlier this year w/a 320x320 screen. No one took this long to convert their apps to 240x240. In fact, it took MS 2 years to incorporate 320 support, from the release of the 700w to the release of WM6.

It's a moot argument anyway, 320x320 looks fine to me as long as Slingplayer releases their update soon. Most other apps work fine for me anyway. But when you have devices in production w/VGA and WVGA screens, Palm and their square screen will be behind once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    The Treo and Diamond screens are almost the exact same WIDTH, although the Diamond screen is taller. Get it now? PPI would be the same as the Diamonds'

If you remember when this was talked about when the WM Treo's first came out, the Palm Treo's were 320x320 but WM was 240x240, and everyone was complaining. The reason was WM didn't support 320x320, mainly because it wasn't in line with their rectangular resolutions. 240x240 is easier to adjust to from 320x240 by just cutting screen real estate. 320x320 requires stretching, which is a little more complicated.

Look at it this way- why is there no Slingplayer Mobile for 320x320 yet? WM6 began support for 320x320 over a year ago. The Samsung i780 was released earlier this year w/a 320x320 screen. No one took this long to convert their apps to 240x240. In fact, it took MS 2 years to incorporate 320 support, from the release of the 700w to the release of WM6.

It's a moot argument anyway, 320x320 looks fine to me as long as Slingplayer releases their update soon. Most other apps work fine for me anyway. But when you have devices in production w/VGA and WVGA screens, Palm and their square screen will be behind once again.
    You have to realize that cost is a big driving factor. The manufacturer of these screens probably wouldn't have enough demand for 480x480 to have adequate economies of scale to make it sensible for OEMs to even use in the first place.