Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I got my Treo Pro yesterday and I love the form factor and the weight of the phone. Just slightly heavier than my BB Curve but that is OK. I can't stand the Blackberry OS. The form factor of the BB Curve to me is perfect.

    Here are a couple of things I would change on the Treo Pro though:

    1. Too slippery - the battery cover needs to be rubber like on the Treo 750. The Treo Pro is very slippery. When you compare the Treo Pro and BB Curve battery covers (both out of plastic) the Treo is significantly slicker. The Treo Pro looks great, but I don't want to drop it! The battery cover holds hand grease and smudges really bad. PALM - USE THE RUBBER BATTERY COVER THAT WAS USED ON THE TREO 750!!!

    2. Keyboard - CNET pointed out in their labs review that the keyboard is lame. It is if you coming from a BB Curve. The keys are very small. I wish they would just rip off the Curve keyboard size. I would like to see the keys a little less harder to press or USE THE KEYBOARD THAT WAS ON THE 750!!. I think Palm believes "just use the keyboard on the Centro since it has sold so many units . . . people must love the keyboard." It wasn't the keyboard that sold the phone, it was the $99 price!

    3. Windows Shortcut / OK keys - they need to be convex buttons - not flush with phone. Too hard to feel out.

    4. Slow Processor - the phone is too slow a lot of the times.

    You can defintely see the influence of Jon Rubenstein at Palm. The overall design is more refined than ever but at the expense of function. I was perfectly fine with the Treo 750 - I just wanted it as thin as the iPhone.
    Last edited by crabkilla; 10/01/2008 at 09:20 AM.
  2. #2  
    I had the same slippery issue on my Ubiquio and found that using egrips was a nice way to add some friction and also cut down on the fingerprints on the back. Just a few strips on the battery cover will help.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    ___________________________________________
    T-Mobile Treo 600--> Cingular Treo 650--> Cingular 8125--> Imate JasJar--> TMobile SDA--> Cingular Blackjack --> Cingular 8525-->UBiQUiO 503g-->HP910--> HTC Fuze--> Blackberry Bold&iPod Touch
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla View Post
    1. Too slippery - the battery cover needs to be rubber like on the Treo 750. The Treo Pro is very slippery. When you compare the Treo Pro and BB Curve battery covers (both out of plastic) the Treo is significantly slicker. The Treo Pro looks great, but I don't want to drop it! The battery cover holds hand grease and smudges really bad.

    2. Keyboard - CNET pointed out in their labs review that the keyboard is lame. It is if you coming from a BB Curve. The keys are very small. I wish they would just rip off the Curve keyboard size. I would like to see the keys a little less harder to press.
    1. I use it about two weeks. So far I haven't dropped it.

    2. The keyboard is definitely not as good as BB curve and Treo. It takes few days to get use to it. IMO, Palm changed to this keyboard is because it is more durable compare the old Treo keyboard (I may be wrong.) One interesting thing, I found that I have more typo in using Treo Pro than my Centro.
  4. #4  
    what about the internet and googlemap experience? better than Iphone or less? thanks.
  5. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla View Post
    I got my Treo Pro yesterday and I love the form factor and the weight of the phone. Just slightly heavier than my BB Curve but that is OK. I can't stand the Blackberry OS. The form factor of the BB Curve to me is perfect.

    Here are a couple of things I would change on the Treo Pro though:

    1. Too slippery - the battery cover needs to be rubber like on the Treo 750. The Treo Pro is very slippery. When you compare the Treo Pro and BB Curve battery covers (both out of plastic) the Treo is significantly slicker. The Treo Pro looks great, but I don't want to drop it! The battery cover holds hand grease and smudges really bad.

    2. Keyboard - CNET pointed out in their labs review that the keyboard is lame. It is if you coming from a BB Curve. The keys are very small. I wish they would just rip off the Curve keyboard size. I would like to see the keys a little less harder to press.

    Other than that, Palm has come a long way. I highly recommend the phone if you are a Windows Mobile fan like. I CANNOT STAND THE BLACKBERRY OS!!!

    You can defintely see the influence of Jon Rubenstein at Palm. The overall design is more refined than ever sometimes at the expense of function but all the way down to the packaging you can see his influence. Better than the way they were going before!!
    I get the feeling you don't like the Blackberry OS. Is this true?

    I tried using the Curve for a few days, and I did like the form factor, didn't do handstands for the OS, and that trackball was tap dancing on my last nerve.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  6. #6  
    BB is a very good push email device, after that, there is nothing much to it...
  7.    #7  
    Yeah - I use egrips on my iPhone. I put my phone in my pocket and egrips prevents it from going in and out of my pocket very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896 View Post
    I had the same slippery issue on my Ubiquio and found that using egrips was a nice way to add some friction and also cut down on the fingerprints on the back. Just a few strips on the battery cover will help.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah - outside the e-mail it does suck. The BB Curve is the form factor though - nice size, keyboard, and weight.

    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    BB is a very good push email device, after that, there is nothing much to it...
  9. #9  
    what i would have changed is the 5ways and the 4 hard buttons. make them sofe buttons w/ show/hide options...
    that way we'll have a much larger screen. now that would be sweet!
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  10. Biggles's Avatar
    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla View Post
    Yeah - I use egrips on my iPhone. I put my phone in my pocket and egrips prevents it from going in and out of my pocket very well.
    I found egrips great on my old Treo. I'm trying to find out if egrips are going to do a Treo Pro version but they haven't said yea or nay yet. Perhaps they're waiting to see whether any more are asking for it (hint!).
  11. #11  
    The universal egrips should work for now
  12. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #12  
    I used eGrips on my 650 and 750 and liked them, but then I discovered Invisible Skin and got that for my 750. It's perfect - has just enough grip to not be slippery, protects well and is, well, pretty much invisible.

    I've seen others inquire about a version for the Pro and I'm sure it will come eventually.

    What I am going to do for now is take a second 750 eGrips set I have and see if the panel for the battery cover will fit on the Pro. I don't expect to be able to use the other pieces.
  13.    #13  
    Ok people - I have been using the Treo Pro all weekend. This thing is slippery!!

    I think it is the plastic they are using. My BB curve plastic battery cover is not nearly this slippery.
  14. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #14  
    I put an eGrips panel on mine - I had an extra one for a 750 and cut it down a bit. It's even black!
  15. #15  
    I like the form factor and having used a WM Standard device for the past year and a half, I'm having to get re-acclimated to WM Pro. The touch screen is a major improvement over the 750.

    Coming from a Motorola Q9h, the keyboard feels so tiny but manageable. I can not stand the shiny black finish. Why not a matt black finish that won't attract fingerprints from across the room? What's the practical use for the shiny black plastic?

    Curious... has anyone experienced slow down in the processor? I had Windows Live on my Today Screen and it seemed to bog down the Treo Pro. Processor performance went through spurts of inconsistency. One minute blazingly quick, the next slow as mud.

    Also, anyone know how to get Yahoo Messenger on the Pro?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    I put an eGrips panel on mine - I had an extra one for a 750 and cut it down a bit. It's even black!
    I kinda like the idea of eGrips
    How are they to remove, do they leave a mark?

    http://www.egrips.com/
    Just call me Berd.
  17. Biggles's Avatar
    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #17  
    I had a duff set for my Treo 650 a few years back (there was a problem with a batch of the material and they sent me a new set pronto) and I seem to remember the old one came off with no problems, though of course it had only been there a few weeks.

    But, as posted on another thread, egrips say they have no intention of doing a set for the Pro. They seem to be giving up generally on bespoke sets recently, they didn't do one for the 800w, nor the BB Bold.

    I may end up getting a generic set and a pair of scissors but I'm looking to see if there's any alternative designed for the Pro.
  18. #18  
    I'd change the Keyboard.. WHAT WAS PALM THINKING?? This isn't a "PRO" form factor at all!.. I will guarantee this will NOT remove any BB users from RIM.. The keyboard is built for a Child's hands.. I was really hoping this would be the qwerty device I was looking for.. but ..MAN!! what the heck was PALM thinking!!! The Keyboard is WAY to small.. and ZERO feedback with tactile feel around the keys..patiently waiting for the BB Bold.....
  19. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #19  
    You can remove eGrips and use an alcohol swab to remove the adhesive - no mark remains.

    The browser is Internet Explorer and works well, but does not have Flash. I have tried Skyfire, which does Flash, but have not been satisfied with the performance and usability.
  20. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #20  
    A scroll wheel on the side of the phone would be nice. Put a matte finish on the back cover so it wouldn't get so many fingerprints.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions