Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hello Users,
    I was hoping everyone would be willing to talk about SPB Software for a bit here. I was hoping to discuss two main things:

1. What roles SPB software can play and at what point they begin to overlap. Example: I have installed SPB Pocket Plus onto my Treo 700wx, which after Palm's additions was pretty user friend, but the tabs have added a lot of function. However I was also eyeing Mobile Shell. At what point do the SPB applications begin to overlap each other? The three that seem to overlap the most are Pocket Plus, Mobile Shell and Phone Suit. Thoughts? How do you incorporate them all?

2. Stability Issues: I don't think anyone would question that SPB is a repubitle software developer. They currently, and have, hold/held an excellent presence in the WM community. However, I have owned four devices on which I have installed SPB products: 6700, i730, Mogul, and 700wx. I have had different positive and negative experiences with all four devices and a number of SPB apps. Example: Phone Suit slowed down my 700wx and caused Kinoma Play to fail but worked fine on my i730. Mobile Shell was bad on my Mogul but Pocket Plus works wonderfully on my 6700 and 700wx. You get the picture. Can anyone account for the instability by what most would consider a leader in 3rd party applications? Why am I having so many issues?

I look forward to many responses from what I am sure is a wide fan base. Thanks!

Billbeme

www.spbsoftwarehouse.com
    I have used SPB Diary and SPB Backup on every WM device I've had for the past 4 years or so with no problem. I agree that SPB has some great software, but I am also noticing some of the overlap-
    For example, within SPB Online has an RSS reader which seems to be nothing more than SPB Insight.
    I would love it so much if every piece and function of SPB Software was broken out and you could pick the pieces you want (buffet style) so you could get exactly the parts you want from Mobile Shell, Pocket Plus, Diary, Weather, etc without overlap and strain on resources.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I am a long time Palm Operating User and when I moved to my Touch I had high hopes for SPB. I tried SPB Backup and had some issues. I tried Pocket Plus and had issues too. Coming from POS and a Treo I understand instability and have opted to not use those two programs on my Touch. For me I just want my software to work. Just my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Funny you should say that. I installed Phone Suit and Time at two separate times to add to my Pocket Plus. Both caused a lot of problems with Kinoma Play. A bit frustrating. The programs seem so promising!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Update: I was walking through campus and it hit me. Why not try installing Phone Suit to the Storage Card?! I did just that and Phone Suit is working beautifully with Pocket Plus as well as Kinoma. No problems at all. Time wouldn't install to the card. I'll take what I can get.

More thoughts?
    Bill
    When I had Pocket plus and Diary both installed on my Sprint Touch, I noticed major battery drain. Uninstalled those, everything was fine. Ran the 15-day trial of Mobile Shell, no problems, went ahead and bought that. It runs great on my phone. I also use (daily) SPB Time, Backup, and Keyboard, and have them all installed on main memory.

When I was looking at Mobile shell, I also noticed the redundancy, and just found the program that works best for me. I like the animated menus and such. I've had people ask me, "is that an iphone?" I love telling them, "Nah, its much better."
    Vinnie
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I found the functionality I desired with Pocket Plus and Phone Suite. However, yesterday for no reason, when set to "vibrate" my phone doesn't make a sound. Little frustrating. I looked at Mobile Shell and it looks very cool.

I have noticed considerable battery drain on my 700wx though I don't know if it is from Pocket Plus. I used the CPU Usage meter from HandySwitcher and Pocket Plus didn't even show up. I don't know what the story is.

I really like SPB. A LOT! I just wished I didn't have the problems I have been experiencing.