1.    #1  
    I'm a Palm OS fan period. Its a dinosaur OS but its stable. I also love the desktop as it has a small footprint and rarely hangs.

But i only have the centro and the 680 as my choice for Palm OS. I tired the iPone but didnt like it.

I'm ready to take the Tro Pro plunge but, I love the 650 because it does the stuff below will the Pro do it as well? Any comments?

General
    - One button away from SMS, notepad and calendar functions
    - Global search a la Copernic, very useful when i'm trying to
    look for everything i've done for let's say a Fitzpatrick.
    -bluetooth headphones only work with

SMS
    - can i type the recipient's initials, display his contact card and launch the SMS from there?
    - can i Forward text messages
    - Can i highlight text messages from any point to another using the screen?
    - Can i copy threaded messages and paste them in say Notepad?

Phone
    - Is the call log's capacity as much as the 650's ?
    - does it have a loud Ringer
    - Does it have a global search meaning it will search all the fields in the Pro?

Calendar
    - Is the calendar/ appointments tabs as customizable as the 650's?

Contacts
    - Does it have notes field per contact to scribble in some pointers or notes on the person?

Notepad
    - It'll sync with?
    - Can i email my notes?
    - Can i highlight, cut and paste the notepad function?

Last, where do i sync it to? If i lose my treo pro will i be able to restore my files to the handphone as easily as I do on the 650/palm desktop combo?
    wow! lot's of questions.
    I will try a couple;
    If you sync with Palm desktop, you will need to switch to outlook.
    And then, yes, with ActiveSync (part of WM) all your Contacts, Appointments and certain folders like 'My Documents' on your Pro will sync with your PC just like you are doing now with Palm Desktop.

Yes you can add notes to each contact.

If possible, I suggest you run down to a local store and play around with a Wm phone(WM ppc not smartphone)

I did before I made the switch, and it helped me in my decision.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I had all of those questions (I had a 700p) and the answer to all is mostly "yes you can"

the big trick however is that you wil have to switch from Palm desktop to Outlook if you use a PC.

And if you are a PC user, switching to WM will be very close to using a microversion of windows. Yes, there will be steps that are easier in Palm OS (i.e. the interface is much simpler in Palm OS) but the switch is well worth it.

On a blow by blow:

General
    - One button away from SMS, notepad and calendar functions
    - Global search a la Copernic, very useful when i'm trying to
    look for everything i've done for let's say a Fitzpatrick.
    -bluetooth headphones only work with
    -WM6.1 has what is caled messaging center, where both SMS and email coexists. You can access both using the default mail button. Calendar is by default assigned to the calendar button
    -The search function in WM is OK. I have not used it a lot but it stands on its own.
    - The BT stack for WM is much more complete and much better than the one in Palm OS, specially from such an old device as the 650. Many BT headsets will work with the phone.

SMS
    - can i type the recipient's initials, display his contact card and launch the SMS from there?
    - can i Forward text messages
    - Can i highlight text messages from any point to another using the screen?
    - Can i copy threaded messages and paste them in say Notepad?
    - Yes, you can either use the message center and type an SMS from there. The format that is presented is very much like writing an email, so in the TO field you can type either the phone numbe or the contact name and a pop-up list will show you the matches.
    - You can certainly do it
    - Only if your phone is WM professional. The Treo Pro fits that bill.
    - I have not tried that but certainly, anything that is shown as text in the phone can be copied and pasted elsewhere.

Phone
    - Does it have a global search meaning it will search all the fields in the Pro?
    - It is
    - I have not heard a Treo Pro yet (I get to play with mine on Monday!)
    - Dunno, I'll let you know next week; however it seems the Pro does not have the same search functionality as the 800w which had that global search capability right there in the today screen.

Calendar
    - Is the calendar/ appointments tabs as customizable as the 650's?
    - To some extent yes... however you will find that by default, the calendar/appointments entry form already has much more fields than the one in Palm OS, so you won't find yourself in need of customizing anything any time soon I feel.

Contacts
    - Does it have notes field per contact to scribble in some pointers or notes on the person?
    Yes it does, and you can entry both type text AND hand-scribble a note

Notepad
    - It'll sync with?
    - Can i email my notes?
    - Can i highlight, cut and paste the notepad function?
    - Again, it will only sync with Outlook.
    - Yes you can
    - Absolutely yes.
    - On a side note, a very cool feature from Notes in WM6.1 is that, if you are in the middle of a phone call and take a note, the note will be automatically appended with the Phone number/Contact name you are talking to, and the date and hour of the conversation! Very useful for keeping track of what you do...

so there, I hope is helpful...
    Last edited by waldo15; 09/27/2008 at 01:26 PM.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    If you sync with Palm desktop, you will need to switch to outlook.
    Actually, no... Mozilla Thunderbird (with either the Lightning or Sunbird plugins) and either BirdieSync or FinchSync is a good--if not widely known--alternative. Much better on updates than Outlook, for one thing.

The one thing it doesn't sync is notes--I'm looking to Evernote for that.

Btw, I'm in much the same boat re devices--had a 650, upgraded to a 680 (unlocked), and now I'm looking to get a Pro. I've used Palm Desktop for 10 years now, with all the devices I've used over that time.
    Last edited by Q; 09/27/2008 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfa View Post
    Phone
    There is a Search program where you have the options to search in the following:
    • All data
    • Calendar
    • Contacts
    • Excel Mobile
    • Help
    • Larger than 64kb
    • Messaging
    • Notes
    • Outlook Mobile
    • Tasks
    • Word Mobile

You can add the program to the start menu. Otherwise it's Start>Programs>Search
  6.    #6  
    guys thank you for the detailed responses. I really like the 650 but after trying the iPhone i feel i have to move on. BTW i've narrowed my choice to the Palm Pro and HTC touch Pro... I wonder which one will be the real "Pro"? he he
    Quote Originally Posted by alfa View Post
    guys thank you for the detailed responses. I really like the 650 but after trying the iPhone i feel i have to move on. BTW i've narrowed my choice to the Palm Pro and HTC touch Pro... I wonder which one will be the real "Pro"? he he
    My biggest problem with HTC Tilt, was the soft keyboard. I never got accustomed to it. For me, it was unreliable and made me stumble a lot, when I needed to answer emails and text fast. That, I believe is the same keyboard on the Touch Pro, so I went the Treo Pro road instead, even though people talk about the cramped keyboard. I still can do better with a cramped hard keyboard. Another thing was , that I could not bear the bulk of the brick, I mean the Tilt. That brought me back to the 750 and has moved me forward to the Treo Pro instead of the Touch Pro.
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
    sorry to bring back an old thread, but am giving a Treo Pro a try after returning my Pre. Will the Pro or WinMo in general sync up the User Defined Fields from Contacts in Outlook? I have about 1300 contacts or so with mucho info in the custom fields that are now the user defined fields. I can't even imagine try to transfer them all into the notes section especially when the info is separated in the fields for specific reasons.

Palm makes it tough to migrate away from the PalmOS PIM. Returned the Pre, Not sure if the Pro is going to help in the above respect. I might end up going back to the Centro or give the 755 a shot for the bigger screen and keyboard.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    sorry to bring back an old thread, but am giving a Treo Pro a try after returning my Pre. Will the Pro or WinMo in general sync up the User Defined Fields from Contacts in Outlook? I have about 1300 contacts or so with mucho info in the custom fields that are now the user defined fields. I can't even imagine try to transfer them all into the notes section especially when the info is separated in the fields for specific reasons.

Palm makes it tough to migrate away from the PalmOS PIM. Returned the Pre, Not sure if the Pro is going to help in the above respect. I might end up going back to the Centro or give the 755 a shot for the bigger screen and keyboard.
    This feature is not inherently included, but there are a few third party apps out there that address this need. I don't have enough posts yet to earn the honor of posting links, but google "Outlook contact user defined fields synchronization" to find a relevant thread on an MS board
    thanks for the effort. I found some info here and there, but even checking out Pocket Informant, Agendus and the like, doesn't accomplish that task. There's always notes, but I don't have it in me to go through all my contacts and migrate info over to notes. The separate user defined fields do a great job of separating out various types of info.

Have a feeling I'm going back to Palm.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Other than recording your phone calls, the Treo Pro far surpasses the 650. Specific applications like Datebook (6) and ChatterEmail though have no equals.
    I guess it all comes down to the fact that the Treo Pro runs on WM and that PalmOS1 is terminated and it is not a multi-tasking OS like WM is. Now when the Pre came out and WebOS was released then Palm can perhaps re-structure WebOS to take advantage of the old Palm OS and the use of pre-defined fields in Outlook as well.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Not sure what you mean by predefined fields, when my 650 died I was given a Centro as a replacement, I couldnt use the small keyboard so I switched to an HTC Touch, I hated Outlook so I started syncing to Google, both their calendar, and Gmail for contacts, I found a work around to still use the palm desktop, anyway all of the notes that I have in the "Notes" section for each contact synced completley.
    I hope this helps.
    Terry
    Just a quick note regarding searching - I recently moved from my trusty 650 to an unlocked GSM Pro.

Searching sucks!

I'm sure I am not the typical user, but it is impossible to search contacts (for me). I have my contact list pared down to only 3500 contacts (about a third the number I synced with my 650). I had to whittle away at my contact list because Activesync gets progressively slower the more contacts you have. I can live with 40 minute syncs, but any more than 3500 contacts and it turns into multiple hours.

I have yet to see a search through contacts finish in less than 5 minutes. Using PalmOS I can search my entire contact list in less than a minute.

This is the only drawback I can offer, I've learned to live with it (by keeping my contacts on the 650 - no sim card - in my car for when I need to search) and I absolutely love my Pro.

BTW, user fields don't exist. I use Companionlink to push data into the fields that exist and I just have to remember what they really mean.
    PalmOS had four custom fields in their contacts. These are not "notes". Not referring to memos which are the Outlook equivalent of notes. And not talking about notes for the contact like in Outlook. It's completely a PalmOS thing. If I stick with the Pro I'll end up cutting and pasting all my user fields into the note section for contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Not sure what you mean by predefined fields, when my 650 died I was given a Centro as a replacement, I couldnt use the small keyboard so I switched to an HTC Touch, I hated Outlook so I started syncing to Google, both their calendar, and Gmail for contacts, I found a work around to still use the palm desktop, anyway all of the notes that I have in the "Notes" section for each contact synced completley.
    I hope this helps.
    Terry