1.    #1  
    Hello,

I recently purchased a used 700wx for use with my Verizon account. I'm new to smartphones in general and wondered if anyone here could help me with a few questions.

First, I use Thunderbird (a Mozilla product) for my email, calendar, contacts and to-do lists. I was wondering if anyone here also uses Thunderbird and BirdieSync to synchronize their Treo with it?

Secondly, I've downloaded and installed the free version of Resco File Explorer, but it didn't come with the register editor as advertised. I suppose the editor comes with the purchase of the product? I don't mind paying the $25. I just want to be sure of what I will receive. I have sent an email to Resco and haven't yet received a reply. Many thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by father24 View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased a used 700wx for use with my Verizon account. I'm new to smartphones in general and wondered if anyone here could help me with a few questions.

First, I use Thunderbird (a Mozilla product) for my email, calendar, contacts and to-do lists. I was wondering if anyone here also uses Thunderbird and BirdieSync to synchronize their Treo with it?

Secondly, I've downloaded and installed the free version of Resco File Explorer, but it didn't come with the register editor as advertised. I suppose the editor comes with the purchase of the product? I don't mind paying the $25. I just want to be sure of what I will receive. I have sent an email to Resco and haven't yet received a reply. Many thanks for your help.
    I have the full version of Resco Explorer and it comes with the Registry Editor. You will be most happy with this program. It's a big step above the File Explorer under MS Windows.

I can't help with Thunderbird; maybe someone else will offer their help.

There is a legitimate upgrade to WM 6 on the Verizon site. If you haven't upgraded, do so before you start to load a lot of programs. Save you mucho time in the long run when you don't have to reload everything.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
    Hello,

I use Birdiesync along with Thunderbird. It works really well! I believe there is an extension that will allow you to pull your Gmail contacts over to Thunderbird too. I canít remember if there is an extension for the calendar too but Iím sure there is. I donít know if you are big into Gmail but itís a good way to keep all your PIM data in a safe place.
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Another suggestion would be to get a clean up program such as, MemMaid or SKTools. If you go on line a lot, you will accumulate a lot of internet debris quickly. This slows your device down and takes up lots of memory. MemMaid can be found at www.dinarsoft.com and SKTools at www.s-k-tools.com. I would also highly recommend a backup program, such as SPB Backup (www.spbsoftwarehouse.com). This creates a complete backup of your device onto an SD card. Comes in handy if you ever need to do a hard reset, which totally wipes out your device. As a matter of fact, I just used this yesterday when I restored my 700WX after upgrading to WM6. If you wish to do that as well, follow this link...http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...6/verizon.html. Welcome aboard!
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -Ernest Hemingway

5.    #5  
    Thanks! I really appreciate the advice. Now that I have BirdieSync working I really need to backup my device. Can I backup my data using the SPB software and then upgrade to WM 6? Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Sprite Backup is available for free from Palm's website. Works fine, but I did something wrong when I backed it up to prepare for the WM6 update and a lot of the programs didn't work after the upgrade. It was easy enough to reload them.
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Thanks! I really appreciate the advice. Now that I have BirdieSync working I really need to backup my device. Can I backup my data using the SPB software and then upgrade to WM 6? Thanks again!
    It's not advisable to restore WM5 data or registry entries on a WM6 device. Too many potential issues. However, you CAN backup your PIM data (contacts, notes, calendar entries, tasks, etc) and documents and restore those onto your WM6 device.

SPB Backup will let you choose what data you want to restore. My suggestion: do a backup of your device as it currently is, install the WM6 update, restore ONLY your PIM data and documents, and then reinstall your programs.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -Ernest Hemingway