Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I intend to use the Pro to run Skype for Voice and IM communication (via WiFi of course) I wonder if anyone has tried and would be willing to share your experiences?

Thank you in advance...
    I would like to share my experience, but I'm still waiting for my treo pro!
    yes, talk quality is quite good...
    tried it on skype to skype, and skype to cell/land.
    fring also works pretty well via skype.

one catch tho... you'll need to use the headphones provided otherwise it'll be in speakerphone mode.

it's a limitation w/ winMo, nothing to do w/ skype or palm...

hope this helps.
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  4.    #4  
    Thank you dd4618. I am counting on Skype on Pro to save me money on phone bills. Now I feel good of paying USD 549 for the Pro...
    guys, if I switch from iphone to treo pro, and if I use skype for every phone call (local, international), then all I have to pay is the 20 bucks data plan, right? No additional charge?
  6.    #6  
    Treopq, I intend to use WiFi for Skype voice communication. If you intend to use the 3G network for Skype communication, you may want to opt for the limited data plan (not too sure the cost of it...) It is highly recommended by Skype (see Skype website) I am not too sure if the 20 bucks data plan is the Unlimited plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    Treopq, I intend to use WiFi for Skype voice communication. If you intend to use the 3G network for Skype communication, you may want to opt for the limited data plan (not too sure the cost of it...) It is highly recommended by Skype (see Skype website) I am not too sure if the 20 bucks data plan is the Unlimited plan.
    If I remember correctly, my 20bucks data plan for iphone is unlimited.
    yes, the 20$ data plan for iphone is unlimited...
    that's what i'm using... yes, i ditched the iphone for the pro.

calling from skype to skype is free.
    from skype to land/cell is not...
    you'll have to either buy skype credits or pay a monthly fee...
    i believe it's $3/mo. for usa/canada or $10 worldwide.
    you can check the details on skype.com.
    anyone tried the latest version 2.2.0.45 on treo pro? How was it?
    not bad at all...

however i prefer fring which not only let you use skype, but msn and yahoo messenger, aol, etc...

and fring also lets you lock the screen while making calls, skype doesn't.

hope this help...

Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    anyone tried the latest version 2.2.0.45 on treo pro? How was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    not bad at all...

however i prefer fring which not only let you use skype, but msn and yahoo messenger, aol, etc...

and fring also lets you lock the screen while making calls, skype doesn't.

hope this help...
    cool, is there any advantage of fring besides can use all messenger together? And is the data transfer safe via fring?
    fring lets you call your contacts on the contact list as well via skype, cell phone or sip.

i'm not sure what you meant by "is data transfer safe".
    i don't know anyways...
    you can check them out at www.fring.com.

cheers!

cool, is there any advantage of fring besides can use all messenger together? And is the data transfer safe via fring?
  13.    #13  
    Fring would allow you to IM to Yahoo/MSN etc... However, for quality of voice communication, Skype to Skype is still the best. Fring to Skype voice works, however, the quality has a lot to be desired...
    I'm now not so sure whether Skype works properly.

When I have the phone off and WiFi, I can get it to log in successfully and it seems to work OK. With the phone on, it seems to stick forever in the "connecting" process.

Anyone else having better luck?
    I'm using the latest version for im only and working fine here so far
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    I'm now not so sure whether Skype works properly.

When I have the phone off and WiFi, I can get it to log in successfully and it seems to work OK. With the phone on, it seems to stick forever in the "connecting" process.

Anyone else having better luck?
    The current version of Skype for Packet PC has an option when you first sign-on, it would ask you to CHOOSE Wifi only or Wifi and GSM/3G network. In your case, most likely you choose Wifi only. When the phone is on, is your Wifi is on too? Most likely not, hence, Skype not able to connect.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    yes, talk quality is quite good...
    tried it on skype to skype, and skype to cell/land.
    fring also works pretty well via skype.

one catch tho... you'll need to use the headphones provided otherwise it'll be in speakerphone mode.

it's a limitation w/ winMo, nothing to do w/ skype or palm...

hope this helps.
    For the highlighted issue above, does anyone know a way to assign a button to "turn on / turn off" the speaker? I use Skype on Pro for most of my calls, MW is driving me CRAZY!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    For the highlighted issue above, does anyone know a way to assign a button to "turn on / turn off" the speaker? I use Skype on Pro for most of my calls, MW is driving me CRAZY!!!
    what does MW mean?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtreo View Post
    what does MW mean?
    Sorry - it was meant for WinMo
  20.    #20  
    Urgent HELP with Skye on Pro (WM6.1)
    Just installed the Skype onto Pro, did the following tests:
    1. No earphone, no Bluetooth earphone, will only be able to hear Skype Voice talking, no one can hear my talking

2. With Bluetooth earphone, Skype is not working with my Bluetooth earphone, however, the phone indeed was using my Bluetooth earphone

3. With wired earphone (provided in the Pro packaging) it worked with Skype.

Anyone else has a different experience? Please share... This is driving me crazy...

Thank you ALL in advance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast