Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have WinMo set to "Manage GPS automatically" which is one of the settings in "External GPS" settings. Google Maps works like a dream with GPS but...

I have a program called Pocket Anquet which is a highly detailed topographical map program (using UK Ordnance Survey mapping). It has a GPS element to it but I can't get it to find the GPS source in the Treo Pro. It scans Com1-10 without finding it. There are a number of options to set it manually, Com1-10, 2400 up to 115,200 baud rate and NMEA 0183 or Garmin protocol. Does anyone know what the setting should be?

Any help much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    try COM4 @ 57600 baud rate; WinMo uses what's called an GPS Intermediate Driver, which is the same as COM 4.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Quote Originally Posted by cortez.i View Post
    try COM4 @ 57600 baud rate; WinMo uses what's called an GPS Intermediate Driver, which is the same as COM 4.
    4800 baud is more than enough for the data stream of gps.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  4.    #4  
    ...but neither settings does the trick...any more ideas?

Thanks
    It should work with NMEA protocol
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  6.    #6  
    Anyone interested in the solution it is as follows:

Although Windows Live and Google Maps both recognise the GPS with the External GPS settings set to Windows Managed with no COM port specified I tried them with the COM port set to COM4 and they also worked. My Anquet software did not work under either setting and froze when trying to connect to COM4. Anquet said:

"Given that COM 4 is the only port that behaves differently its probable that the actual hardware com port is hidden on that device i.e. not directly available to software.

In most cases with GPS connection trouble simply avoiding the window port sharing and connecting directly to the hard ware solves the problem. Given this does not seem to be an option on your PPC please try the port sharing program GPSGate to see if it helps. This does essentially the same thing that the windows port sharing program is supposed to do.

Connect GPSGate to the virtual port windows mobile makes i.e. COM4
    Connect anquet to the virtual port GPSGate makes."

Now it all works fine and if I wanted I could run all 3 bits of software at the same time.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yes I've heard many good things about GPSGate. Though for many of us is not a big deal and thw default WM settings do, for advanced users and apps like yours it's a perfect match!
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by casebase View Post
    ...clip... Windows Live and Google Maps both recognise the GPS with the External GPS settings set to Windows Managed with no COM port specified ...clip...
    I couldn't get Windows Live Search to work even though google maps worked right out of the box.

So thanks to this thread, I got WLS to work by going into External GPS and setting it to Windows Managed with no COM port specified.

and then going into the settings in WLS and choosing: "GPS Intermediate Driver"
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by casebase View Post
    ...................... Connect GPSGate to the virtual port windows mobile makes i.e. COM4 Connect anquet to the virtual port GPSGate makes."
    After the gpsgate install and initial setup do you have to launch gps gate anytime there after?

With other gps programs that are used as a jump start to initialize gps you have to launch the gps program and then google maps or what ever program you wanted to use. It sounds like gpsgate is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I couldn't get Windows Live Search to work even though google maps worked right out of the box.

So thanks to this thread, I got WLS to work by going into External GPS and setting it to Windows Managed with no COM port specified.

and then going into the settings in WLS and choosing: "GPS Intermediate Driver"
    Still, WLS seems to be real slow at getting a location.
    Google just finds it lickity-split
    Just call me Berd.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    After the gpsgate install and initial setup do you have to launch gps gate anytime there after?
    Not sure about after the first install and set up but you certainly need to run the program again after a soft reset, it runs in the task bar in the bottom right of the screen.
    I won't say this is depressing, as I don't actually own a Pro, but I guess it is a bit disheartening. There are times when I wish I didn't have to worry about pairing my Treo 755p and my Freedom gps receiver... or keeping them close enough to remain connected... or remembering to keep the receiver charged.

The Pro and the 800w, for whatever other shortcomings they might have, seemed like easy solutions to my "problem." Now it just seems like trading one set of gps difficulties for another.

But maybe the problem's not as widespread as I might think.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    It shouldn't be a problem on most newer GPS applications. I have TomTom 7, the latest Garmin XT and of course Live Search and Google Maps and all work with zero configuration. Install, run, they worked. As a matter of fact tomTom gets a fix, going 75mph, from a cold start, in less than 30 secs consistently. Faster than my stand-alone Garmin car GPS.

GPSGate is not perfect - it does need to be running to help, and it can be set to auto start after a reset, but I "believe" it also keeps the GPS active whenver it's running which will KILL your batter if I'm right. It did with my Omnia, so the Pro may be different, but it's worth watching...

-Joel
    Help a technology handicapped guy out....

External GPS settings: Program and Application COM settings = "none"
    WLS GPS settings: GPS Intermediate Driver

And it takes a short eternity to get a satellite fix in WLS, right? A time frame where I can grill steaks, bake a potato, enjoy the meal and still have time for desert?
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonguy View Post
    It shouldn't be a problem on most newer GPS applications. I have TomTom 7, the latest Garmin XT and of course Live Search and Google Maps and all work with zero configuration. Install, run, they worked. As a matter of fact tomTom gets a fix, going 75mph, from a cold start, in less than 30 secs consistently. Faster than my stand-alone Garmin car GPS.
    wowwwww.

Yea, I have the same settings and it's painfully slow.
    My q9h doesn't take this long with WLS.
    I was hoping to get some replies by others also.

edit: my reply was to coppertop.

I also would like to hear from others running WLS.
    What makes it all the more confusing is that GoogleMaps acquires a location fast. I wonder if the internal GPS is optimized somehow for Google?

I have noticed that the acquisition with Google is sometimes hundreds of yards off.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    What makes it all the more confusing is that GoogleMaps acquires a location fast. I wonder if the internal GPS is optimized somehow for Google?

I have noticed that the acquisition with Google is sometimes hundreds of yards off.
    How much can you do with Google Maps and gps? Is there routing with real-time gps positioning? Are there "next turn" instructions below the gps map? Is there an arrow showing the direction of travel?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really want to know and it's useless to try to find this stuff out in Sprint stores (the only other resource available to me).
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    How much can you do with Google Maps and gps? Is there routing with real-time gps positioning? Are there "next turn" instructions below the gps map? Is there an arrow showing the direction of travel?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really want to know and it's useless to try to find this stuff out in Sprint stores (the only other resource available to me).
    With google maps there is real time positioning. At 30 mph as you drive threw an intersection it will show you in the middle of the intersection as you are leaving the intersection. Thats pretty dang good!

There are no next turn directions at the bottom of google maps but there is in Microsoft Live Search Maps. As for the direction arrow, some versions of google maps show a tacked on blue directional arrow on to the blue dot and some versions dont. Windows Live Search always shows the direction of travel.

If I need to get from a to b I launch WLS. If I just want to see where I am at and how the roads are laid out around me I launch Google Maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post

It sounds like you are talking about google"s aGPS "My Location" cell tower triangulation feature. When you start google maps it will get you close to the location with "My Location" and then when you choose the option to use GPS it will then pin point you within 10 feet as long as you are outdoors.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast