Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I know this is a long shot but...

Is there anyone here who actually has both a Treo Pro and an 800w that can compare the two for GPS lag? Just curious if there really is lag and how bad it is on the Pro.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I previously had a HTC TYTN II with installed QuickGPS application. The device could find its GPS position in around 30-45 seconds.

Now I own a Treo Pro, also with QuickGPS installed (and current data downloaded). But the Treo doesn't seem to care about the pre-fetched data of QuickGPS. It usually takes 5 - 10 minutes to get a GPS position. I would expect this if this would be a device without QuickGPS, but with this application I think the fix time should be what it was with the TYTN II.

Could it have something to do with the fact that I bought the device in Hong Kong, yet am using it in Europe? Is the QuickGPS app (or GPS itself) somehow dependent on countries?

Does anybody know of another way to speed up satellite fix times?

Thanks for any advice
  3. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urs.meili View Post
    ........could it have something to do with the fact that I bought the device in Hong Kong, yet am using it in Europe? Is the QuickGPS app (or GPS itself) somehow dependent on countries?

Does anybody know of another way to speed up satellite fix times?

Thanks for any advice
    I don't believe so. I bought my TP in the US and used the GPS here before taking it overseas to India. I had no problem getting a fix over there.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the more rural the area I am in the quicker the fix, big cities don't work well irrespective of what country I am in.
    Quote Originally Posted by urs.meili View Post
    Now I own a Treo Pro, also with QuickGPS installed (and current data downloaded). But the Treo doesn't seem to care about the pre-fetched data of QuickGPS. It usually takes 5 - 10 minutes to get a GPS position.
    What GPS software do you use to get the satellite fix? I use Google Maps on my TreoPro and usually get a fix at open skies location within about 2minutes from "cold start".

However, Google Maps don't have a "satellites view" unlike dedicated GPS software such Garmin Mobile XT. The satellites view will show the visibility of satellites and help you understand slow fix time due to satellites not visible because of surrounding building and/or low position of satellites in the sky.

A freely downloadable Holux GPS Viewer v1.5, provides a satellites view, GPS coordinates and easy way to do "cold start", "warm start" and "hot start" GPS fix. You can get Holux GPS Viewer here. It's intended to help check Holux BT external GPS works with your PC or PPC. It works just as well for the internal GPS on Treo Pro in 96dpi mode. It comes in one WindowsMobile exe file (no CAB or installation EXE).

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Quick$ $GPS$ $would$ $help$ $the$ $GPS$ $to$ $do$ $a$ $warm$ $start$ ($valid$ $ephemeris$ $data$ $preloaded$). $But$, $Quick$ $GPS$ $would$ $not$ $help$ $the$ $GPS$ $do$ $a$ $cold$ $start$ ($invalid$ $ephemeris$ $data$ $and$ $unknown$ $previous$ $location$).

Ref What's the difference between "cold start" and "warm start"?.
    Last edited by sabre23t; 12/09/2008 at 10:11 PM.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345