Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Palm did the same to me, but I got upset and they agreed to send one without the return but I had to do it during the week (m-f) and early enough for managers to be there. I ended up calling them back and just ordering through Amazon, it was cheaper and it got here in one day. Palm sent me a RMA and UPS pickup.

Also if you are in the 1st 30days call the store not tech support they will return for any reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Also if you are in the 1st 30days call the store not tech support they will return for any reason.
    Amen to that! Tech Support are often more aggressive sales persons than the Sales Reps.
    Anyone using Telenav? If so, how is it working for you. I've fiddled with Google Maps and WLS but don't have a need for GPS in my own town and haven't traveled since I've had the Pro. Just wondering how Telenav is working.
    I am using Igo 8 and it works fantastically. I just loaded it onto the device via SD card and then I did an auto detect of GPS and that was it. The IGo 8 and Pro is spot on. Ive doen some tests and it works great.

I dont know much about the other programs out there, but I can definitely recommend IGo.
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Treo 650------Treo Pro (Oct 08)
    Here's a question. I have an 8Gig sd card in my pro and I'm running a few apps in it. If I bought a GPS system on SD like the Garmen or Tomtom and copied their SD card onto mine, would it work? Seems like it would be easier than copying my card on the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by azlarry View Post
    Anyone using Telenav? If so, how is it working for you. I've fiddled with Google Maps and WLS but don't have a need for GPS in my own town and haven't traveled since I've had the Pro. Just wondering how Telenav is working.
    I was in BF-Oklahoma visting a friend, long story short, I suddenly ended up driving from BF-Oklahoma to Dallas Texas airport, by myself without a map. So before I left, I first called TeleNav (because that is what the Treo says your supposed to do) and they had no clue how to get it working. I then called ATT and it took 5 minutes.

It was easy to set up, easy to figure out without instructions. I literally activated it, jumped in the car, set the deestination and let it take over.

I have used Tom Tom on 3 of my old Treo and loved it. TeleNav was very good but, if I lost data connection (which happens many times in BF-anywhere) It stopped navigating after a while, til I cleared the errors and started again. I like the look of Tom Tom better but TeleNav was pretty good.

I made it to Dallas with it.
    There is a 30 day free trial with it.
    So would you rate the Tom Tom better than Telenav? Or would you loose connection in BF on either?
    So would you rate the Tom Tom better than Telenav? Or would you loose connection in BF on either?
    I don't think the data connection is a factor for standard Tom Tom navigation.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Sorry for the double tap but still would like to know if I can copy a Tom Tom or Garmin SD card to my 8gig SD and make it work.

Here's a question. I have an 8Gig sd card in my pro and I'm running a few apps in it. If I bought a GPS system on SD like the Garmen or Tomtom and copied their SD card onto mine, would it work? Seems like it would be easier than copying my card on the other.
    I just installed TomTom Navigator 6. What a pain! First, I ordered the DVD and it's no longer available. The good news is that since they don't have it anymore TomTom sold me a download version for $69.95. After a 2 hour download I finally got it on the phone and my GPS settings were all screwed up, TomTom couldn't find the GPS. Now I have it working on program port Com0, Hardware None and still managed automatically. TomTom settings are set to Com0.

I haven't used it yet as I haven't gone anyware but it does find the satellites and found my location. Google Maps work and I deleted WLS since I didn't use it anyway. Whew!!!!

Anyone have any tips on good features on Navigator 6 please chime in. I almost selected the sexy British lady for voice but switched back to the American just because it might be a little clearer.

The whole point of this was to turn off Telenav, free trial. But Telenav has some cool stuff that TomTom doesn't like the cheapest gas prices relative to my location. But Telenav doesn't use GPS, as far as I can tell uses tower triangulation. I used it this weekend and it got me to a hard to find spot, but I had to exit the app when I lost service for a second and get back it.

I'll mess around with TomTom and report how it does. Hopefully I'll find it useful enough to quit Telenav before I have to pay. But with gas prices this high it may be worth keeping even at $10 per month. I'm getting a savings of about $4 every time I fill up. And that's 4 times a month.

Oh, I had to copy everything off my SD card and reformat it in order to install Navigator 6. Afterwords I put my apps back on and all seems well.

Lucky for me this is a slow day at work!!
    I just installed TomTom Navigator 6. What a pain! First, I ordered the DVD and it's no longer available. The good news is that since they don't have it anymore TomTom sold me a download version for $69.95. After a 2 hour download I finally got it on the phone and my GPS settings were all screwed up, TomTom couldn't find the GPS. Now I have it working on program port Com0, Hardware None and still managed automatically. TomTom settings are set to Com0.

I haven't used it yet as I haven't gone anyware but it does find the satellites and found my location. Google Maps work and I deleted WLS since I didn't use it anyway. Whew!!!!

Anyone have any tips on good features on Navigator 6 please chime in. I almost selected the sexy British lady for voice but switched back to the American just because it might be a little clearer.

The whole point of this was to turn off Telenav, free trial. But Telenav has some cool stuff that TomTom doesn't like the cheapest gas prices relative to my location. But Telenav doesn't use GPS, as far as I can tell uses tower triangulation. I used it this weekend and it got me to a hard to find spot, but I had to exit the app when I lost service for a second and get back it.

I'll mess around with TomTom and report how it does. Hopefully I'll find it useful enough to quit Telenav before I have to pay. But with gas prices this high it may be worth keeping even at $10 per month. I'm getting a savings of about $4 every time I fill up. And that's 4 times a month.

Oh, I had to copy everything off my SD card and reformat it in order to install Navigator 6. Afterwords I put my apps back on and all seems well.

Lucky for me this is a slow day at work!!
    Cool. I wish I had more Tom Tom experience so I could've been more helpful. Glad things worked out.

And, at least gas prices have gone down somewhat - here, anyway.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I just installed TomTom Navigator 6. What a pain! First, I ordered the DVD and it's no longer available.
    They are still promoting the DVD version on their website; mind you, I was looking at the UK version of the site.

Mysteriously, when I change the location to 'United States', there is no mention of TomTom Navigator at all. How odd.
    When I called they said they are testing Navigator 7 in Europe, coming here later. For now the only way to get it is via download or off the net from a reseller.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    When I called they said they are testing Navigator 7 in Europe, coming here later. For now the only way to get it is via download or off the net from a reseller.
    I have heard of Navigator 7, but only Nav 6 shows on their UK site. They had left an advert for Nav 6 scrolling on the US site but, when I clicked on it, it took me to the TomTom Rider page....
    Sorry for the double tap but still would like to know if I can copy a Tom Tom or Garmin SD card to my 8gig SD and make it work.
    From Garmin's website:

Note: Due to proprietary and security reasons, it is not possible to transfer your Garmin Mobile XT data to a larger card.

If this is true it would be a deal breaker for me. There is no way I am going to pop off the back and shuffle out SD cards whenever I want to use this.

Anyone tried to prove them wrong yet?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Don't know about the Garmin but CoPilot 7 can be copied to a much larger card. It has about 1.2gb of files I think I put on a 8GB card. Software has a 25 digit key or so, and an internet activation routine, which gives them security and makes it easy for you to change devices. Just deactivate old, one, reactivate new one.

Software seems ok, it's a little sluggish compared to some stand alone models. Haven't actually used it on any road trips so I'm not sure of the accuracy yet. I got the impression that a CoPilot 8 might be available in the spring.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Or perhaps just a hard reset which should preclude ay QuickGPS data and then see how long the initial GPS sync taKes.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    In trying to resolve a GPS performance issue, I think I messed up the settings of the "intermediate driver" -

Can someone confirm what the "hardware" tab of the "GPS settings" section of settings should display as the port and speed? (I know that the program port should generally be COM4)

Thanks!
    Start Menu -> Settings -> System - External GPS.
    at the 'GPS program port' Choose 'COM4'
    Hardware: None
    Baud rate: 4800
    Access: put a Check in "Manage GPS automatically"
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    GoogleMaps has a reset function. Curious... has anyone experienced any lag times with GPS? Situations where the position indicator is a few seconds behind in pointing to your actual location?

Or is everyone's headache deal with acquisition?
    I was having issues with lag when running with iGuidance 4.0. I followed the instructions in this thread and installed GPSGate and AstroGPSLauncher. It now works great with no lag!

wish the battery life were better when using the GPS, but at least it works properly.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast