Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That explains why even though google positions quick, it's not real accurate at first.

So I take it WLS doesn't use assisted.

My q9h doesn't take as long to get positioning as my Pro.

So, slow positioning is the expected behavior of WLS?
    Are others also getting slow positioning with WLS and their Pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That explains why even though google positions quick, it's not real accurate at first.

So I take it WLS doesn't use assisted.

My q9h doesn't take as long to get positioning as my Pro.

So, slow positioning is the expected behavior of WLS?
    Are others also getting slow positioning with WLS and their Pro?
    Correct, WLS dosent use cell tower triangulation.

For me google maps and WLS both take about 1 minute to lock on. However I was having trouble yesterday so I changed my setting on google maps. I put it back to its default, (Managed by Windows), instead of com port 4. On WLS I do have it set on COM4.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Help a technology handicapped guy out....

External GPS settings: Program and Application COM settings = "none"
    WLS GPS settings: GPS Intermediate Driver

And it takes a short eternity to get a satellite fix in WLS, right? A time frame where I can grill steaks, bake a potato, enjoy the meal and still have time for desert?
    In external GPS I have program port set to com4. I have hardware port set to none. Baud rate is 4800. I have "Manage gps automatically" set. That is where it all was by default on my device. In WLS I have it set to COM4. I get a GPS signal a minute after launching the app. However if GPS is active with an app then I get a signal immediately after launching Google maps or WLS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Correct, WLS dosent use cell tower triangulation.

For me google maps and WLS both take about 1 minute to lock on. However I was having trouble yesterday so I changed my setting on google maps. I put it back to its default, (Managed by Windows), instead of com port 4. On WLS I do have it set on COM4.
    I originally had WLS to COM 4 but it didn't seem to work, so now I have:

So I should change to COM 4?
    What about 'External GPS settings'?
    What other settings should I check?

TIA
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Its working for me,,,, WLS & COM4........... on the other Q's it looks like we posted at the same time and the response is above your post.

I tried that gpsgate app when I was having trouble but it did noting to solve the problem. I think the problem was actually the thunderstorm we were having.
    coppertop,
    try external gps setting to com 4 and wls com 4.
    Now it's fast.
    sorry james, I see that now.
    I must of missed it on my huge 320x320 screen.
    sorry james, I see that now.
    I must of missed it on my huge 320x320 screen.
    Aw man,,, huge screen,,,, thats a sore spot for me,,,,,, I had my heart broken by HD http://wmexperts.com/articles/touch_...to_the_us.html
    coppertop,
    try external gps setting to com 4 and wls com 4.
    Now it's fast.
    External GPS Program setting to Com4, WLS to Com 4; still slow. I'll try it in the morning. I've still got a lot of cloud cover in the area from the cold front that moved through today.
    It made all the difference for me.
    Thanks james
    Well here's what I done.

Set the External GPS application setting to COM4, Hardware to NONE. WLS setting to COM4.

I then ran GoogleMaps, got a satellite fix there and switch to WLS with Google running in the background. I got a satellite fix real quick with WLS. I then closed everything out, waited a few minutes, ran WLS again and had a satellite acquisition withing a minute.

I don't know if this is an issue of WLS's GPS interface needing a kickstart but it know works very closely, performance wise, to the Moto Q9h.
    That crazy!

Last night all was fast.
    Did a soft reset this morn and WLS took forever.

So tried what you did coppertop; open google maps, found location, then opened WLS, chose 'Center on GPS, and wham fast.
    So if it's just you and me, I guess that's interesting. But on a fresh day WLS is dog slow, but starting google maps first fixes it. oh well, atleast we now have a 'work around'

edit: forgot to mention; like coppertop, I never had this issue with my q9h.
    I wanted to test this for you guys so I reset then went outside. WLS locked on in 47 seconds. That coincides with my norm. And of course if gps is already active in another application then another app will lock on as soon as I open it.
    Might be worth re-installing WLS. Thanks James for the test.
    Nope.
    No success.
    To get the GPS to be responsive with WLS, I have to get an acquisition first through Googlemaps.
    I was getting it with WLS when:
    it was just miserably slow. Having both set to COM 4 is quicker, and if I do the google trick first, it's almost instantanious.

AvengerBB says he had this with WLS on all devices.

I've only had one GPS device before the Pro, the Q9h, and WLS worked perfectly with it all the time.

I'm really liking the Pro, and I'm ok with the 'google work around'.
    this is my 4th GPS device and both google maps and wls always work perfect. I wonder if any one else has trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    this is my 4th GPS device and both google maps and wls always work perfect. I wonder if any one else has trouble.
    Man. 30 second and 47 second COLD locks?? It takes 2-3 minutes for my gps receiver to get a lock.

But I *have* had my external receiver for something like a year and a half. Maybe the newer receivers are superior - or maybe it has something to do with their integration into the device.

If it's simply about the internal tech, I guess an advantage of an external unit is that I can upgrade my gps receiver hardware without having to buy a whole new Treo.

Hmm... I wonder if the newer Freedom receivers are superior to the previous year's (reception-wise, not just by being smaller).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    well I had a gps *HECK* weekend. It started with GPS dying 20 miles and 40 minutes from the start of a freinds wedding in a town I had never been to. We made it to the wedding but 2 hard resets and a dozen experiments have put me no closer to reasoning why GPS just goes non existent.

The first time this happened I blamed it on stormy weather but this weekend it was clear. My GPS just quits and no tweaking, reseting, uninstalling or reinstalling fixes it. After a full day of troubler shooting I gave up and hard reset.

GPS on the treo pro seems to conflict with something all of a sudden out of the blue. Right now I am running vanilla with no issues. I am going to add a prog a day and a customization or hack a day until the problem is duplicated. Or maybe just send it back and try the touch pro when its released.
    Please keep us posted.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast