Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    Does the 3G support on the Treo Pro allow me to talk on the phone while using GPS?
    Last edited by swieder; 09/26/2008 at 08:45 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  2. cortezi's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #2  
    it should...at least that's been my experience with 3G devices.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Does the 4G support on the Treo Pro allow me to talk on the phone while using GPS?
    I use GPS and phone together. There's no reason why it shouldn't work, unless the navigation software eats up too many cpu power. Navigon MN6 works fine, I assume TomTom and iGO too, no experience with other software.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  4. #4  
    The only prob that might occur is when you're on edge (no 3G) edge can't do both data and voice simultaneously.
    I know the Pro is supposed to be truly 'Stand Alone' GPS, but it still prefers to use the available data for faster service. I can't confirm this, because I don't have a Pro.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The only prob that might occur is when you're on edge (no 3G) edge can't do both data and voice simultaneously.
    I know the Pro is supposed to be truly 'Stand Alone' GPS, but it still prefers to use the available data for faster service. I can't confirm this, because I don't have a Pro.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Treo Pro is just like the other HTC devices using the Qualcomm chipset: it is a standalone GPS, and Assisted GPS functionality is disabled by default from what I can tell. Navigation will always use the built-in gps on COM4 and is independent of GSM/Edge/etc. Assisted gps is there to help the dedicated gps, not the other way around.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Treo Pro is just like the other HTC devices using the Qualcomm chipset: it is a standalone GPS, and Assisted GPS functionality is disabled by default from what I can tell. Navigation will always use the built-in gps on COM4 and is independent of GSM/Edge/etc. Assisted gps is there to help the dedicated gps, not the other way around.
    You very well could be correct.
    My reply was based on:

    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    That's actually promising that it says "...can speed up the time for determining your GPS position...". What happens if you say no? If it is standalone it can take up to about 10 minutes to get a satellite lock. It likely will not take that long though.
    It's been confirmed that with the Pro, GPS works without a sim.
    But I don't know if it's been confirmed whether it takes longer to locate without a data connection or not.
    so that's why I said 'there might be issues when not on 3G (data & data simultaneously) Edge is either one or the other.

    Maybe now that all these pro's are floating around, someone can drive out to the country (or where there is no 3G) make a phone call, and then try to get GPS to locate their location.
    Just call me Berd.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Treo Pro is just like the other HTC devices using the Qualcomm chipset: it is a standalone GPS, and Assisted GPS functionality is disabled by default from what I can tell. Navigation will always use the built-in gps on COM4 and is independent of GSM/Edge/etc. Assisted gps is there to help the dedicated gps, not the other way around.
    but like you said, if gps is using COM4 and has no need for a data connection, there will most likely be no issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by amg212 View Post
    TomTom6 works great on a Treo Pro. Just need to tell it that your GPS receiver is on COM4 and you're all set. The program does a great job of adapting to any screen size and resolution - I used the same executable on a Tilt, HP 910c and the Pro (all different resolutions or orientations) and all worked great.

    I used a CAB file that was originally built for the Tilt - since the program installed to main memory I just copied the navigator folder from \Program Files to \Storage Card\Program Files (and modified the shortcut in the Start Menu).

    Any previously purchased TomTom6 maps work great.

    Just one more reason I love my Treo!
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    I plan to use Telenav which gets its maps over the air via a data connection. I want to run their GPS app, use a data connection to get rerouting and be able to talk on the phone at the same time.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)

Posting Permissions