Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So yea we all have heard all the hype out there on the android os by google, but my question is; Has anyone ported it to a treo yet? I have seen youtube vids all over of other devices that have ported the android os successfully. Thanks in advance.
    Why would you even want to port it to your Treo at this point? It is a baby os and can't do a fraction of what the Treo (either Palm os or WM) can do. I wouldn't even think about it until it's matured a bit.
    Cause its there!

Sorry couldnt resist.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  4.    #4  
    from what i have seen it doesn't harm your windows os, and it does offer some things the WM os does not.

No specific reason to want and try this really, just curious...dont hate, just a question...

Personally i hate my 800w and can't wait till i can afford to change things up...
    My 800w is working quite well,
    Fast, works flawless with exchange and no resets.
    Really glad I decided to keep it over the 700wx, wasn't that happy with it when I first got it.

Edit: My point is no need for Android...
    Last edited by jimh2000; 09/25/2008 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    My 800w is working quite well,
    Fast, works flawless with exchange and no resets.
    Really glad I decided to keep it over the 700wx, wasn't that happy with it when I first got it.
    is your's running android? this isn't a "do you like your 800" thread, it's a thread about running android on a treo. I would be interested too, looks snazzy good browser, and direct gmail support. anyone hear if it's push?
  7.    #7  
    yea i think i saw an article on here about it having push mail, but other than that its open source...which definitely leaves plenty of room for improvements
    Quote Originally Posted by barnette View Post
    yea i think i saw an article on here about it having push mail, but other than that its open source...which definitely leaves plenty of room for improvements
    or not

Open source has some nice projects... the far majority miss the marker or "almost make it."

Heck, many of googles projects and purchases are sitting around like a corpse. And people complain of MS buying companies and closing them down.... google has just about mastered that... though inaction.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    It's been at least a year (more?) since Google bought out Grand Central, and they haven't opened any new accounts since. Worthless, worthless, worthless!
    I would be interested in using it on my old 700P, just for the sake of testing out the system.

Doubt very much if Verizon will be supporting it yet tho.
    RJuhl
  11.    #11  
    lol i can see i made the mistake of posting this in a WM forum....at worst if its not liked delete... im pretty sure from everything i have seen thus far, you just run the boot loader out of your file explorer in WM and go from there... so im under the impression your WM os would still be intact from what i have seen...kinda like a dual boot...
    Could someone post instructions?
    Laissez Faire
  13.    #13  
    These are NOT the instructions for the Treo but here is a link to what the guys at xda have been able to do on a HTC touch, hopefully some people will beable to take this and branch off to other devices...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=1#post2084090
    I was thinking about this recently so I looked up if OMAP2430 proc has linux support. I didn't realize this was a TI embedded system:

http://algo2c.blogspot.com/2007/03/b...-linux-on.html

Quite interesting. Of course I knew it was possible since you can run linux on a toaster. I'm not sure I would **** around with it since I don't have a backup or even know how to restore wM but i AM curious.

I might consider taking the plunge when android is officially release AND it's all it's cracked up to be. Anthing would be better then winMO.

Would be nice to somehow dualboot... I don't want to lose Garmin among other things...

Maybe, just maybe it is more efficient battery-wise... hmm food for thought.
    Last edited by we350z; 10/01/2008 at 03:04 AM.
    Am I the only one interested in doing this?
    It would be cool to try if someone else
    did all the work for me so I just had to
    press "install."
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    Am I the only one interested in doing this?
    I am very interested. Should be just a matter of getting some device drivers running and then compiling for this particular processor's architecture, which shouldn't be hard because it's just ARM.

I am always looking into this kind of stuff, because I love hacking things that have flaws (that is, Windows Mobile).
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Well I agree it shouldn't that hard but I am just worried about bricking the phone. I have never done a WMX install from scratch if I need to restore.

If you look at the link I provided earlier there is a zip file that contains the kernel image for the OMAP 2430 proc. As for getting the proper device drivers loaded I am not sure but it looks like its the same as TI's embedded system ... which should be readily available somewhere (or perhaps already available in kernel support).

The best candidate for this project would be someone who either has 800W to play with or is knowledgeable about flashing to load the linux bootstrapper or rever to wM in case things dont work well.

It sounds like the guys at wM Experts pretty much got everything up and running including the radio.

I may just wait until android is in final release. I just can't afford to bork my phone. Living with wM is like being living with a bum foot.

Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    I am very interested. Should be just a matter of getting some device drivers running and then compiling for this particular processor's architecture, which shouldn't be hard because it's just ARM.

I am always looking into this kind of stuff, because I love hacking things that have flaws (that is, Windows Mobile).
    Just for the sake of wondering, if you somehow got Android to work flawlessly on my 800w, wouldn't there still be a big issue with the software? We would only be able to run apps made for and ARM processor and only be able to run apps made for a 320x320 screen. That seems like it would be a pain in the ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaffeyBoy View Post
    Just for the sake of wondering, if you somehow got Android to work flawlessly on my 800w, wouldn't there still be a big issue with the software? We would only be able to run apps made for and ARM processor and only be able to run apps made for a 320x320 screen. That seems like it would be a pain in the ****.
    Almost all phones are ARM processor, and because many apps are also open source, you can just recompile them for ARM if you want to!
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast