Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been monitoring the battery consumption of the Treo Pro and it seems quite high.
    With backlight set to medium levels (40%-60%), I see around 118mA consumption. Waiting until backlight goes out reveals 54mA when idle. This is about double to what my HTC Trinity consumes (28mA). Halfway the day I'm already below 50% battery level, which is really fast.

Anyone else experiencing these levels?

ps: With the screen disabled via the power button, you'll get around 7mA, which is very good and will make the 250h standby time realistic.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    Halfway the day I'm already below 50% battery level, which is really fast.

Anyone else experiencing these levels?
    First of all: How are you measuring the current?

And yeah. That sounds about what I've got here.
    With 3G, 2 IMAP IDLE accounts, Bluetooth on and in varying reception conditions throughout the day (dropping down to GSM sometimes), a couple of calls, some web-browsing. After 9.5 hours the battery level is now 36%.

Yesterday I forgot my BT headset and turned off BT, and I think the battery level was considerably higher then.

Battery life feels about the same as with my kaiser. But with bluetooth, and 3G.
  3.    #3  
    I'm using BatteryStatus (a today plugin) that shows actual power mW and mA.

I'm not using 3G currently, only gsm+edge; Bluetooth enabled, just a few sms and calls, and just a bit of tweaking the phone. Nothing spectacular really, and certainly not heavy usage.

As said, in idle condition at least double consumption (if not tripple) compared to the Trinity.

Update: here's a link (www . chi-tai . info/cs_batterystatus_xda_neo_wm5_def_im_cs.htm) for the BatteryStatus plugin (now called HomeScreen++). You'll want the Basic edition just to measure your battery consumption, the Advanced edition lets you create a whole new Today interface.
    Last edited by oVan; 09/25/2008 at 08:50 AM.
    My 750 consumes much more power on edge than on 3G for some reason. I get good 3G in most areas here and only have battery issues when out of 3G range. Not sure why.
    If compare my Treo 750 to Treo Pro, the battery life of Treo Pro is 3 times longer than Treo 750.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    If compare my Treo 750 to Treo Pro, the battery life of Treo Pro is 3 times longer than Treo 750.
    Thanks, but I have no idea how long a 750 lasts I'm coming from a HTC Trinity (P3600).
    Has anyone had the opportunity to replace a Centro with a Pro and compare battery life under similar usage?
    Mark Bergman
  8.    #8  
    I did some further testing, including hard resetting the treo pro and reinstalling. Disabling bluetooth seemed to help, but after the hard reset I got lower consumption (around 45mA) even with BT on.
    This could be a radio problem, I remember that some radio versions of the HTC Trinity had the same thing: sometimes they keep using more power than necessary.
  9.    #9  
    I may have found a different or additional culprit. Because I switched the device to 96dpi I can't use SPB Mobile Shell anymore and that gave me some very interesting results: this morning the battery was at 88% (went to sleep at 96%, and pop3 email polls every hour). Before with SPB Mobile Shell battery level dropped to 56% in the morning, so that is a huge difference.
    I'll leave it like this for a few more details, but I think/hope my battery levels are stabilized now

ps: the first versions of SPB Mobile Shell v2 had this problem, but I thought the latest updates solved this. On my HTC Trinity at least it worked okay, but maybe there's a difference with the Palm.
    After years of Treos, Iphone and latest BJ2, I am happy with battery life. I get 1 full day with heavy usage.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Hmm. With Flexmail set to 15 minutes (for IMAP accounts) and Activesync set to 15 minutes for Exchange, I'm getting less than 10 hours from full charge to fully out.

Furthermore, the USB trickle charge takes 24-30 hours to go from empty to full, so I have to plug it into the wall to re-charge.

Unforunately, this makes the phone basically unusable for me when I'm on the road (since I usually don't have access to power that frequently).

On my 4-year old 650, with Chatter set to full IMAP (persistent connection), I could get 2 days or more between charges.

Any ideas for prolonging life?

PS: I checked Palm's support page. It says:
    - Keep the phone plugged in whenever you're not using it
    - Set activesync to 2 hours (so basically, don't use Push)
    - Limit use of the GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth (and keep them turned off as much as possible)
    - Don't take too many pictures, don't watch too many videos, and don't listen to too much music
    - Limit 3rd party applications

Nice. So all the things you really need when you're away from the office (and away from reliable source of power) are the things that you can't use.
    Last edited by jg70124; 10/04/2008 at 12:49 PM.
    my feeling is TP is better than 680, worse than Iphone. But it's hard to compare if we use more wireless functions on TP.

In general, I feel like I have to charge my TP everyday or even better keep it charged whenever possible.

So if we keep the phone plugged whenever it's possible, will it shorten the battery life?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtreo View Post
    So if we keep the phone plugged whenever it's possible, will it shorten the battery life?
    No - Lithium-Ion batteries like being kept topped off.
    I'm getting about two days worth of power with moderate use (email checked every fifteen minutes, several calls, IMs, etc.). I have been impressed with the Pro's battery.

Compared to other devices, I could get a day out of the Moto Q and the BJII easily but barely with the 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    No - Lithium-Ion batteries like being kept topped off.
    great, I will just keep TP plugged and I don't have to worry about the battery level everyday, coz some period of day, I may heavily use it.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    Hmm. With Flexmail set to 15 minutes (for IMAP accounts) and Activesync set to 15 minutes for Exchange, I'm getting less than 10 hours from full charge to fully out.

Furthermore, the USB trickle charge takes 24-30 hours to go from empty to full, so I have to plug it into the wall to re-charge.

Unforunately, this makes the phone basically unusable for me when I'm on the road (since I usually don't have access to power that frequently).

On my 4-year old 650, with Chatter set to full IMAP (persistent connection), I could get 2 days or more between charges.

Any ideas for prolonging life?

PS: I checked Palm's support page. It says:
    - Keep the phone plugged in whenever you're not using it
    - Set activesync to 2 hours (so basically, don't use Push)
    - Limit use of the GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth (and keep them turned off as much as possible)
    - Don't take too many pictures, don't watch too many videos, and don't listen to too much music
    - Limit 3rd party applications

Nice. So all the things you really need when you're away from the office (and away from reliable source of power) are the things that you can't use.
    I can only recommend using a today plugin like BatteryStatus/HomeScreen++ or a battery monitor program to measure how much mA is used while being idle. I've solved my problem with removing SPB Mobile Shell, maybe one of your installed apps is hogging the cpu too?

About the usb trickle charge: this may depend on the charger or device where you're drawing the power from. I've tested a car charger plug and it actually doesn't charge at all...go figure.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    I can only recommend using a today plugin like BatteryStatus/HomeScreen++ or a battery monitor program to measure how much mA is used while being idle. I've solved my problem with removing SPB Mobile Shell, maybe one of your installed apps is hogging the cpu too?

About the usb trickle charge: this may depend on the charger or device where you're drawing the power from. I've tested a car charger plug and it actually doesn't charge at all...go figure.
    I installed HomeScreen ++, but then my Today screen wouldn't load, and I was forced to do a hard reset. On I reload, I added *no* 3rd party software. The next day I started at 5am, and went to 9pm, and was still at 34%.

So definitely some 3rd party software - maybe Flexmail? Anyway, I'm going to run clean for a week and see how it goes.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bergman View Post
    Has anyone had the opportunity to replace a Centro with a Pro and compare battery life under similar usage?
    Yeah I have both the Centro and the Treo Pro. While not very scientific, I'm noticing the Centro has a longer battery life than the Pro.

I don't use 3G at all and had the same (or similar) programs on both and used very similarly. Although the Centro's is only a 1150 mAh battery, compared to the Pro's 1500, I found that it (and all my previous POS devices) lasted a lot longer before a battery warning than my M$ operated devices.

How much longer? Well... a wild guess would be 30-40% maybe.
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
    If I understand correctly, some applications prevent the device from going into a lower power state?
    Treo Pro Playtime
    after a week and a half, i am very disappointed in my battery life. I would consider myself a moderate user. I have Exchange Push set up for 7am to 7pm. make 3-4 calls a day. Average about 10 minutes of internet. Check calendar several times a day. Send 10-20 texts a day. Currently I have bluetooth off only because I have not set up my in-car bluetooth system yet (I will do this shortly though).

With this usage, I barely make it through the day and have not made it through my "heavier than average" days.

Love the phone other than this.

Also, i noticed that my charger charges my phone to 100% and then it slowly drops. For example, after all night charging, it is only charged to about 94-95%. I have watched it in the office go to 100%, light go green and then slowly drops its %, almost like it is not charging at all at this point and it was sitting on the desk unplugged. Is this normal, I do not remember this condition with any other phone i have had. Seems that if it was plugged in, it would stay at 99-100%.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast