1.    #1  
    Hello everyone…

I'm a new user here but have been a Sprint customer for at least 8 years...

That being said, has anyone else who has the Treo 800W had any issues with the phone? I have been through 6 within 3 weeks and am beginning to think that another phone may be the way to go for me (I have until 28 September 2008 to return the phone)…

I have had issues with my contacts being deleted and the screen going blank ever few hours and not responding to anything but a soft reset. The keyboard has also been very loose in a couple of them…Has anyone else experienced these issues or something similar?

The people at the Sprint store have been great and swapped it out when I go back but I feel terrible that they keep having to do that…

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mal
    Quote Originally Posted by Malpractice View Post
    Hello everyone…
    Q: has anyone else who has the Treo 800W had any issues with the phone?
    Yes.

I have been through 6 within 3 weeks

(I have until 28 September 2008 to return the phone)…
    ...because 29 September is Judgement Day. Have you seen this boy?

I have had issues with my contacts being deleted
    Haven't experienced it... most likely you had ActiveSync incorrectly set up.

the screen going blank ever few hours and not responding to anything but a soft reset.
    Happened to me a two times but was most likely 3rd party software on the first phone. 2nd phone locked every now and then (never as often as yours) but never went blank.

The keyboard has also been very loose in a couple of them
    Haven't experienced this issue... both keyboards have been tactile, but I'm a little clumsy with the close proximity of the keys.

The people at the Sprint store have been great and swapped it out when I go back but I feel terrible that they keep having to do that… Any advice?
    I'm amazed they've returned it that many times for what seem minor issues (and no offense, possibly PEBKAC) in stark contrast to the common usability issues like the resolution before hacking, speakerphone quality, incompatible stereo adapters and low battery life, or even the serious problems like I encountered yesterday (roughly four or so incidents out of all the 800w forum communities, but this may grow). For the non-keyboard issues that you encountered, did you at least try a hard reset (which would erase your contacts)?

The real question is how much of an effort do you want to put into trying to get a replacement without paying the insurance deductible or even a different model once your 30 day period expires. Going for a 7th or even 8th replacement after only a month will raise a few eyebrows at the call centers.
  3.    #3  
    I've tried both hard and soft resets and have actually set my phone to back itself up every 2 days automatically so I don't lose any valuable information.

It has been a very frustrating experience dealing with all these issues but I really like the phone and want it to work. I like having an actual keyboard to use and am not a big fan of slider phones or only touchscreen models but have been thinking that maybe the Diamond may be the way to go.

I travel a lot so I use WM since i have to often pull up Word and Excel documents hile I'm traveling.

Unfortunately losing all my info doesn't seem like a small issue when you're on the road and are relying on your phone to work.

It's been rough...
    Get Dashwire and never lose your contacts on the road. Sign up at www.dashwire.com then on you phone's browser type m.dashwire.com. Keep the CAB file on your memory card so when you do lose everything just install off the memory card and your back in business before you leave the store. This is a free program and not only back up's your contacts but it also does, pictures, ringtones, videos, texts, music and more. Man I sound like a commercial.

Like mentioned how in the hell did they replace it 6 times? That is insane.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Dashwire still has trouble restoring things that are backed up. You can also use various freeware tools for backing up your contacts, call logs and texts, plus you can restore them.
    I got my Treo 800w at about the same time you got yours. I have experienced (1) problem - the backlight coming on for no good reason. I did a hard reset and the problem went away. Been a week now and no problems even the battery life is improving - probably because I don't fiddle with it so much now.

Because of the problems others are reporting about the 800w, I've decided to get Sprints insurance plan. I really like all aspects of the phone thus far.

No offense, but it sounds like you would be better served by another phone or better yet a notebook computer due to your travels.

Best wishes with whatever route you take.

Sam
  7.    #7  
    Just one last question...

This may be my paranoia here but has anyone had any issues with the phone making any creaking noises...almost like everything isn't a perfect fit? This last exchange that I had is probably the best one I've gotten except for the creaking...

Like I said, this is probably only an issue due to all the other problems i've had with the phone...

Thanks for the help everyone...