1.    #1  
    I am just wonder how you guys handle this. I check 3 email accounts including
    1) Exchange
    2) 1 Pop3 account
    3) 1 Pop3 account

The 2 scenarios are:
    1) Forward all to the exchange account to be pushed. This is great because they are pushed, it's hard to keep track of which account is getting what mail (I am fooling around with rules right now). But even with rules, you can put the mail in subfolders then the Treo doesn't alert to new email because it's in a subfolder.

The other problem is replying, you can't select which account you are sending from...that's a problem too.

2) EAS the exchange account and check the other 2 pop3 accounts at some interval?

3)??

Just wondering what you guys do. I know just about everyone has separate accounts for personal and business. There must be some logical way. Thanks!
    700wx | WM6 | VZW | Exchange Push
    That is smart to have POP accounts forwarded to the Exchange email addy. This will save battery life. When I had the 800 I also had an Exchange account and 2 POP's. I set the phone to poll for the 2 POP's every 30 minutes (they weren't as important). As the battery became an issue I changed it to every 2 hours.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply Vibrant. That's ideally what I want to do but

a) I can't set up rules to get things into folders consistently
    b) Unread mail in subfolders doesn't make the treo alert you
    c) I can't reply from a different account, only my Exchange

What am I missing
  4.    #4  
    Bumping it up, anyone (robber, bclinger anyone out there)
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I wouldn't forward the pop mail unless you have to have push email on the two pop accounts. If you don't need push on the pop accounts the treo can handle them as separate accounts. You have to set them to be checked on a certain time interval. Do you need help setting the accounts up separately?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for replying mabmarc. I've already got them setup as separate pop3 accounts (just to test). I would prefer to have them pushed to conserve battery life and get instant notification. It's just too bad the WM6 outlook doesn't support notification for folders other than inbox AND allow you to select which account you want to send from when you reply (like regular outlook does)
  7.    #7  
    last bump...before this thread dies
    Frankly, my suggestion is to try a different email application. The one that suits my needs very well is FlexMail - it goes solid from around 6:30a to around 9P and handles 2 IMAP accounts the entire day and hits 2 others as I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
    Thanks for replying mabmarc. I've already got them setup as separate pop3 accounts (just to test). I would prefer to have them pushed to conserve battery life and get instant notification. It's just too bad the WM6 outlook doesn't support notification for folders other than inbox AND allow you to select which account you want to send from when you reply (like regular outlook does)
    Greetings,

What I do on my desktop (I know not much help here) is use a multi-iM program (Trillian) to monitor the accounts. This works fine for AOL, Yahoo and Hotmail as the client sits waiting for an IM, it will highlight the account that has new mail. I mention this because at one point I had a mobile IM client that pretty much did the same thing, monitor all three accounts.

Many accounts will allow you to forward or setup 'alerts' that goto your phone when you get mail (I know Yahoo can do this) but not all pop sources can do this.

Since I've never actually used a email client on anyone of my personal PC's, I can't say if any of them might be setup to pool multiple accounts and send out a custom alert depending on which account it found email in.

Lastly, if running a linx email server is in your future, you can do pretty much anything from the server side (if you have control of it), but much like any desktop solution would require you to leave it on 24/7 for it to work.

"Push email" is the 'cats meow' when it comes to mobile applications. One company and its whole line of products were specificly designed for it. And do it well. However it requires having a 'berry' something or other to use it.

Since we are talking 'push' email here, unless your planing on running a email server on your 800w, this pretty much eliminates any native WM application, client or server as the solution.

What you need is ether desktop or server baised.

Mark.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    I have my work account running through an exchange server, my other 2 accounts, gmail and sbcglobal and running as Imap.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
    I am just wonder how you guys handle this. I check 3 email accounts including
    1) Exchange
    2) 1 Pop3 account
    3) 1 Pop3 account

The 2 scenarios are:
    1) Forward all to the exchange account to be pushed. This is great because they are pushed, it's hard to keep track of which account is getting what mail (I am fooling around with rules right now). But even with rules, you can put the mail in subfolders then the Treo doesn't alert to new email because it's in a subfolder.

The other problem is replying, you can't select which account you are sending from...that's a problem too.

2) EAS the exchange account and check the other 2 pop3 accounts at some interval?

3)??

Just wondering what you guys do. I know just about everyone has separate accounts for personal and business. There must be some logical way. Thanks!
    I use exchange for my business account... IMAP right now for my personal email. Actually, I am in the process of now consolidating my two personal imap accounts to one imap account. After that I plan to either have it check my personal accounts every 2 to 4 hours, which is not battery intensive, to checking them manually. Right now I check them manually.

In addition, you could also forward the emails to something like hotmail and have hotmail send you a text msg alert each time an email arrives. That is another option... then check the account manually or look at the subject and not check it...

You could also buy a bigger battery if you want to check all accounts...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloof View Post
    Greetings,

What I do on my desktop (I know not much help here) is use a multi-iM program (Trillian) to monitor the accounts. This works fine for AOL, Yahoo and Hotmail as the client sits waiting for an IM, it will highlight the account that has new mail. I mention this because at one point I had a mobile IM client that pretty much did the same thing, monitor all three accounts.

Many accounts will allow you to forward or setup 'alerts' that goto your phone when you get mail (I know Yahoo can do this) but not all pop sources can do this.

Since I've never actually used a email client on anyone of my personal PC's, I can't say if any of them might be setup to pool multiple accounts and send out a custom alert depending on which account it found email in.

Lastly, if running a linx email server is in your future, you can do pretty much anything from the server side (if you have control of it), but much like any desktop solution would require you to leave it on 24/7 for it to work.

"Push email" is the 'cats meow' when it comes to mobile applications. One company and its whole line of products were specificly designed for it. And do it well. However it requires having a 'berry' something or other to use it.

Since we are talking 'push' email here, unless your planing on running a email server on your 800w, this pretty much eliminates any native WM application, client or server as the solution.

What you need is ether desktop or server baised.

Mark.

A very uninformative and technically incorrect (in some areas) post.

And keeping on a mobile IM would be disastrous to battery life.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

ROTFLMAO!

Thanks for sharing your informative and technically profound advice for the OP.

To the OP:

A quick glance at 'download.com' showed a number of 'email alert' or 'alert' or 'sms' agent's that run on ones Windows desktop that can monitor (among other things) pop/imap/web/exchange email and send a custom SMS to a mobile.

Mark.
    Last edited by mbloof; 09/24/2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: more information
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

ROTFLMAO!

Thanks for sharing your informative and technically profound advice for the OP.

To the OP:

As you likely already know, forwarding email to one of the webmail services and having it send a alert when email arrives does not segregate alerts as to what account the email came from. (you have to manually check each one. Some accounts also do 'remove and forward' which does not leave a copy on the originating server)

A quick glance at 'download.com' showed a number of 'email alert' or 'alert' or 'sms' agent's that run on ones Windows desktop that can monitor (among other things) pop/imap/web/exchange email and send a custom SMS to a mobile.

You'll have to sort though and find one that works for you and your pocket book. At a quick glance it seems that the ones with the features you'd like are in the $30 range.

Mark.