1.    #1  
    This afternoon my 800w decided to brick itself. For the first time in weeks, it decided to constantly turn on the display by itself, even such that I saw the screensaver with a bright white background. Disgruntled, I physically soft reset the device only to find that it would no longer boot. The bootloader progress bar gets about 1/4 done then halts indefinitely.

If I try a hard reset the progress bar completes, but instead of being asked to press up on the D-Pad I am taken to a blue screen with 11 white squares arranged vertically in the top left corner. Plugging it into the computer at this point reveals a "Windows Mobile-based Device" in the device manager, but I'm at a dead end from there.

Are there any tools to reload the ROM or bootloader, whichever is fouling up? This is my 2nd 800w and I haven't been too happy with either of them and the constant stability issues requiring soft resets every 2-3 days, nor was I at all happy with Palm support when the rep kept blabbering on about how I had a broken screen that would cost $199 to fix
    I sure hope your still within the 30 day trial or you have TEP insurance. Stuck during boot and can't break the cycle with a hard reset means usually she's done.

I don't think Palm has any ROM's on their website. Youe either getting a 3rd device or exchange for something else.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  3.    #3  
    I have the insurance just because PDAs are so bloody expensive, but the $50 deductible is meh. Sprint already agreed to replace the phone (again) just because it's a software issue, though right now I'm playing the long-term unreliability and poor Palm customer support cards in an effort to switch out to a HTC Diamond. (Was originally waiting for one but had to go with the 800w last second when they decided to discontinue SERO). Wish me luck.

I'll miss the tactile keyboard, but honestly I can't pass up the better application support (games) as well as the huge team of devs at xda-developers. While they can only improve on Windows Mobile so much, there's no denying that they've done an incredible job thus far and would be able to resolve this issue no problem if it were an HTC device.

But yea, enough about my desire to switch devices... I'm mostly posting this to document online that YES you can BRICK an 800w without doing anything dangerous. In my case I did nothing, been using it the same as the last 3 weeks and didn't even launch any apps today. So here's hoping someone takes notice and can leak whatever Palm uses to flash the 800w.
    Course it's possible to "brick" by not doing anything odd (the hardware could randomly fail on any device for example).

Not very common though unless the device has one hell of a software problem or hardware manufacturing defect. Unless it was caused by one of these problems (resulting in common occurrence), it's not so much an issue overall for other users.
    Hey guys...don't these devices have a 1 year man. warranty? Why wouldn't palm replace?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermike View Post
    Hey guys...don't these devices have a 1 year man. warranty? Why wouldn't palm replace?
    Because it was fell out of my holster while it was raining, causing the water sensors to get wet. Nevermind the fact that it was immediately dried and worked for 3 weeks thereafter. While it's possible that this may have caused long term damage, the fact that so many other devices can survive this kind of abuse leads me to believe that this is a software issue and Palm's merely skirting their support obligations on a technicality.

As much as I've disliked the phone during it's infancy stages, I'd like to just keep the phone for what it is and fix it if at all possible - I'm not one to throw away usable hardware.

In any case, again the phone is stuck in some kind of developer mode. These white squares in the top left corner are too perfectly formed to be a graphical glitch when the Palm logo displays just fine, and I can see the 800w in the device manager. Some Palm engineer has to know how to fix this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Androktasie View Post
    Because it was fell out of my holster while it was raining, causing the water sensors to get wet. Nevermind the fact that it was immediately dried and worked for 3 weeks thereafter. While it's possible that this may have caused long term damage, the fact that so many other devices can survive this kind of abuse leads me to believe that this is a software issue and Palm's merely skirting their support obligations on a technicality.
    No carrier will replace your phone if the water sensor shows it's been dunked. It takes much more than just some rain hitting the device to change the sensor (it actually has to get wet). The fact that it shows on the sensor means that water did indeed get inside your device.

It's not unlikely that corrosion has been building and is just now negatively affecting the device.

Palm isn't "skirting their support obligations on a technicality" in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Androktasie View Post
    In any case, again the phone is stuck in some kind of developer mode. These white squares in the top left corner are too perfectly formed to be a graphical glitch when the Palm logo displays just fine, and I can see the 800w in the device manager. Some Palm engineer has to know how to fix this...
    It could be the video chip has been damaged/corroded, while everything else is working fine.

This does not sound like any kind of "developer mode" to me.

If you have no other options but to purchase a new phone, I am in the market for an 800w (though I was hoping for one that worked, just with a bad ESN ). Just an option if all else fails.

All that being said, I do hope you get it worked out.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    If I try a hard reset the progress bar completes, but instead of being asked to press up on the D-Pad I am taken to a blue screen with 11 white squares arranged vertically in the top left corner.
    That happen to me. I was within the 30 day trial.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard187 View Post
    That happen to me. I was within the 30 day trial.
    While I'm sorry for your misfortune, at the same time I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having this issue. If I'm correct in assuming that you never dropped the device from any significant height based off your post in the other thread, that only solidifies my position that this is indeed a software issue.

As far as my 800w goes... the local store wasn't able to swap it out like the one rep said, but the salesman did help me talk through waves upon waves of transfer-happy reps on the phone. He started me off with retentions (lying on my behalf, I'd never leave Sprint), where I was offered a phone at the new customer price, or contend with insurance and the $50 deductible. The rep likened it to paying insurance on a car... I likened the it to a car breaking down without a technician manual and having the dealer replace a lemon. (Palm stated they would have declined warranty status if there was a scratch even without the water damage indicator).

I kindly declined the retentions offer and requested to be passed back to CARE to go back to yesterday's replacement offer. This representative understood my issue and transferred me to a supervisor, or at least that was what I was told until I realized she overlooked my case notes and transferred me to... Asurion insurance! Deductibles!!

Immediately transferred back to CARE, got a rep that actually listened while I explained the situation once more and agreed that a new 800w order was in-line with the old notes. He also agreed that with the numerous problems on both 800w's I've had (AGPS, Speakerphone crackle, random backlight, low battery, soft resets, BSOD) that a different phone was justified, just as the local store salesperson and I wanted. Several minutes of holding later, I was on a 3-way call with an ordering agent who had a new Diamond lined up and ready for fee-free delivery.

Total time spent on the phone today - 1h:23m. The CARE rep, ordering agent and local store salesperson all recieved positive escalations to their managers. (I used to work in a callcenter, these are priceless!) But between that long phone call, about an hour yesterday split between Sprint and Palm, plus 20 minutes of Palm online chat support... yes it was worth it, but I'd rather not do it again.

Sorry Palm, I loved your Treo Tank 700wx and the robust Palm OS devices I've used before it, but I can't be bothered to pay $$ for a phone still in beta with no support. Best of luck in your restructuring efforts.
    Last edited by Androktasie; 09/23/2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Interesting. I had a problem similar as mentioned. My the screen on my first 800wx should turn on and stay on until the screen would gradually fade to a dark gray. And I don't mean the screen would eventually fade and turn itself off, but would rather have a dark gray back lighting. I couldn't turn off the phone without a reset.

I called Sprint tech support and they told me to take it in for an exchange at a Sprint store, which I did.

Now only if they can fix my missed calls issue.

Tae