1.    #1  
    Well my Treo 800w had been starting to slow down more and more lately. I decided that it was time for a hard reset. Big mistake!

I first made a Spriteback and then made a Resco Backup. I did the hard reset then did my restore. Everything was working great and it even seemed a bit quicker.

The problems started when I connected to my work PC for active sync. Active Sync immediately decided it needed to delete all of the files in "Treo800w MyDocuments" on the device. Then it made doubles of all my notes. I fished all of the contents of "Treo800w MyDocuments" out of the recycle bin and then the real problems started. After a while all my data was messed up on my PC and my Treo and it would not even sync. I had to delete the partnership and start over. As I type it is still trying to do the initial new partnership sync. I have wasted about 4 hours of my day dealing with this. Who knows what I have to look forward when I attempt to active sync to my home PC.

Just had to vent and also let others know that a hard reset is a very bad idea.
    Last edited by rc46; 09/22/2008 at 02:58 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I feel yoru pain. I made a similar mistake way back when I got my first WM device, with my HP iPaq H5555. Prior then, I had Palm & Handspring devices. Anyways, I made a mistake by never deleting partnerships after a hard reset, then a restore from a Sprite Backup. I ended up with duplicate contacts and appointments. Or worse, LOST both contacts & appointments. I learned my lesson now by making sure I delete partnerships and once in awhile, I perform a backup of my Personal DB, as well as a full backup.
  3.    #3  
    So should I have deleted the partnership before attempting active sync following a hard reset?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Yes, delete the partnerships and delete the data (Contacts & Appointments) on Outlook on your PC. Otherwise, you will get more duplicate contacts & apointments. Once you delete the data, then re-establish the partnership and sync at home, you can go through Outlook on your PC to cleanup any dupes that occurred from due to your syncing at work. Change the view on Outlook to data file view, or something like that. This view allows you to see duplicates allot easier. Once everything is cleaned up, perform another sync from home. Then when you go back to work and sync, you should be all fine & dandy. Well, that's until you do another hard reset and forget to delete partnerships.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Yes, delete the partnerships and delete the data (Contacts & Appointments) on Outlook on your PC. Otherwise, you will get more duplicate contacts & apointments. Once you delete the data, then re-establish the partnership and sync at home, you can go through Outlook on your PC to cleanup any dupes that occurred from due to your syncing at work. Change the view on Outlook to data file view, or something like that. This view allows you to see duplicates allot easier. Once everything is cleaned up, perform another sync from home. Then when you go back to work and sync, you should be all fine & dandy. Well, that's until you do another hard reset and forget to delete partnerships.
    Thanks for the info. Should make it a lot easier next time.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  6.    #6  
    Now I can see what everyone is talking about with bad call quality. My handset call quality was crystal clear prior to the hard reset. Now it is garbled and crackely at higher volumes. I would just do another hard reset but I dont think I can take all that crap again.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Anyways, I made a mistake by never deleting partnerships after a hard reset,
    I'm relatively new to WinMo, coming from Palm OS. What exactly do you mean by "deleting partnerships?"
    Its an Active Sync thing. You go to File/Delete Partnerships and it resets the program to default and allows you to resync your data without the problems the OP was having..
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    Its an Active Sync thing. You go to File/Delete Partnerships and it resets the program to default and allows you to resync your data without the problems the OP was having..
    Hmmm, I don't have a "Delete Partnerships" on my ActiveSync menu.
    I normally Bluetooth it and use Active Stink to open a window showing the device and then manually move things around, that way nothing gets deleted by mistake.
    Oooops My bad, I meant on the PC, not the phone. Its not listed on the device. It is the 5th item down under "File"