1. tal
    My Treo 800w will no longer sync with my MS Windows Vista PC. I have tried both at work and at home. This is via USB.

It connects but it gives the message "unknown device" and "USB device not recognized". "One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows do not recognize it".

"Recommendation: Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device."

I've tried reconnecting it and rebooting the PC to no avail.

My wife's Treo 800w syncs just fine.

What can I do?
    This has happened to me too but on XP pro at work and at home but at home it would just never connect. Somtimes it would just take a couple min then pop up but i got that error this morning here at the office.
    I unplugged it and reconnected it 2 times before it worked correctly.
    If re-plugging fails, delete the partnership and recreate it. I've had to do that several times on XP and Vista.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  4. tal
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    If re-plugging fails, delete the partnership and recreate it. I've had to do that several times on XP and Vista.
    There is no partnership.
    .Welcome to WM active stink. I ran back to POS after experiencing this same recurring problem 1.5 years ago. Recreating the partnership every day did not work for my needs.
    It has to be something regarding USB, because I use ActiveSync via Bluetooth and never had any problems. Is it possible to go to a BT route? BT adapters are cheap and you never have to worry about the cables and you don't have to be next to your PC.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Have you installed Palm's USB update?
    1) Make sure your Treo 800w is not on the USB cable connected to the PC.
    2) Open the ActiveSync application on your PC.
    a) Select from the Menu File -> Delete Mobile Device. (If this is grayed out, just move on to step 3, but be certain to check if this is not grayed out first. If it's not grayed out, select it and delete whatever Mobile Device it has setup. Often even when the connection is not working ActiveSync creates one that needs to be deleted.)
    3) In your Treo go into Programs -> ActiveSync.
    a) Select from the Menu -> Options.
    b) Fully delete any and all PCs listed.

Once you're certain the Treo is clean of any PCs for connection and you're sure that your PC is clean of any Devices for connection, insert the sync cable into the Treo and it should start like a new connection and work fine. You'll have to re-specify some sync details again, as you have done last time you set up the initial connection, but your connection will work and should work OK after that.

I've read lots of advice when I've had the same problem and what I mentioned above is the only thing that works for me 100% of the time without fail.
    My 800w synced fine the first time but wouldn't after that. Tried everything, finally in desperation I did a hard reset. Lo and behold it synced just fine. I've restored everything except my work email account. I think that was the problem. It is a Microsoft Outlook Web Access account that I share with others in the location. I did not want Outlook to sync my contacts, calender, etc. with this account, but to sync with my home pc. I think this caused the conflict. So now I check my work email through the internet and have Outlook handle just my personal AOL email and I sync just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    It has to be something regarding USB, because I use ActiveSync via Bluetooth and never had any problems. Is it possible to go to a BT route? BT adapters are cheap and you never have to worry about the cables and you don't have to be next to your PC.
    I agree. I would add I saw no improvement with the USB update