1.    #1  
    I got in the car today with my battery at 9%. I plugged it into my car charger, and started Google Maps. I ran Google Maps, using GPS for the next 15 minutes, and my phone just shuts off. I wasn't able to turn it back on or anything. I tried soft resetting, but nothing. I got home and put it on the wall charger.. came back 10 minutes later and it had turned backed on. So apparently, the phone battery had completely drained while I was running Google Maps, even w/ it in the car charger. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Yes
    That isn't the GPS, it is the constant use of EVDO that driving with google maps will cause. The GPS typically draws only about 70 ma/hr from my tests. IE GPS draws less than IRDA beam.

If you use Tom Tom or Garmin you can go for about 10 hours on a full charge.

Low capacity car chargers give deliver 500 ma, mid capacity about 700 and high capacity 1000 to 1200 ma. But there are some usb mini and micro car chargers that can be as low as 350.
    GPS + data usage + screen on + CPU usage = heavy battery drain.

Add in any other drains (IE: Leaving wifi on, bluetooth on/visable, IRDA on, etc) and you can quite easily drain more battery than some car chargers will provide.

Mine will give pretty close to 1A, but as Aero mentioned many are only rated for 500 mA. And many chargers are far out of the USB spec for their rating (as this is not a regulated industry, there's nothing to hold them accountable). So your "500 mA" charger may only actually give 200-300 mA.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    This post deprecated and wrong, see below.

FYI my boxwave VersaCharger pro did this to me on a recent driving trip. It says it puts out 1A, but when I used it in the car, the charging light on the Treo never lit up. The battery icon showed the lightning bolt, but no red charging LED. I've seen that before so I figured it was no big deal, until after about 2 hours of driving the battery was almost dead.

So I switched to a power inverter and the stock wall charger, and the charging light came on and everything worked as expected.

Guess I need a new car/travel charger!
    Last edited by haus; 09/22/2008 at 01:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    FYI my boxwave VersaCharger pro did this to me on a recent driving trip. It says it puts out 1A, but when I used it in the car, the charging light on the Treo never lit up. The battery icon showed the lightning bolt, but no red charging LED. I've seen that before so I figured it was no big deal, until after about 2 hours of driving the battery was almost dead.

So I switched to a power inverter and the stock wall charger, and the charging light came on and everything worked as expected.

Guess I need a new car/travel charger!
    It's not the Versa Pro it's the cable if you're using the USB that was included with the phone. You need to purchase a dedicated USB charging cable. Do a search on 'Discount Cell'.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Hmm. It's actually the Seidio cable, but I guess you're right. Here's what I found:

Versacharger ->wall socket -> seidio cable: no charge light
    Versacharger ->wall socket -> Palm cable: no charge light
    Other USB wall adapter -> wall socket -> both cables: no light
    AA battery USB adapter -> AA batteries (fresh) -> both cables: no light

I see a trend. I only get a light when I use the wall adapter *or* if the cable is plugged into a computer's USB port and that computer is running activesync. If I plug into a PC not running activesync, I get no light.

So I'll go edit my post...but now the question remains. I was using Seidio's new 1350 battery and the versacharger + seidio retractable cable was not providing enough juice to even maintain a charge while running Sprint Navigation. So will a new charging cable fix that, or maybe there's something wonky with the battery? The Treo was clearly indicating "charging" in every way except for the missing LED at the top (lightning bolt in battery icon, charging beep, and batti was indicating a charge condition). Very weird.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if Seidio's retractable cable functions as a standalone charge cable. I believe it functions like the original OEM cable. Meaning, it will only charge when connected to a computer running active sync. I'm sure an e-mail to Seidio's tech support will answer the question.

Seidio does sell a charge-only cable that's also included with the multi-function charger. I placed an order for this charger hoping the included cable will function correctly with the Versa Pro. Just waiting for delivery.

A number of folks experienced the same issue with Sprint's rechargeable power pack. Those who purchased a charge cable from Discount Cell resolved the missing charge light issue.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Thank you for your posts. I found the product(s) on discountcell and placed an order for the charge cable and a car charger for about $11 shipped.

Now I remember this issue. When I used the Moto Q (original) I think I had this problem; none of my USB-based charging solutions would work properly because on some recent models (as of that time) Moto had changed the charger circuitry to expect a resistor that slightly altered the voltage on one of the pins. Two theories being that A. by altering the voltage the phone could tell if it was in a car holster/handsfree situation (i.e., perhaps leave the backlight on, etc.) vs a regular charging situation, and/or B. one could tell if "genuine" Moto chargers were being used, at least until the 3rd party mfr's got wise to the scheme and starting building correct chargers and cables. "B" seems less reasonable because it's obviously not hard to reverse engineer a 5-pin charging cable; anyone with a meter and a radio shack within 100 miles could do it.

Interestingly enough, my 700wx with the Seidio retracting sync+charge cable does charge properly, so for Palm this appears to be fairly new.
    I mentioned having this issue once. But it's an issue I've only had occur once. The other 99% of the time the device charges up quickly with GPS running.

Make sure you don't have a bunch of other apps running that you're not using. Be sure to check Task Manager often.

And make sure you've got the Treo 800w USB and Battery Charging Update.
    Aero,

Can you recommend any specific models of high capacity car chargers?

Thanks,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That isn't the GPS, it is the constant use of EVDO that driving with google maps will cause. The GPS typically draws only about 70 ma/hr from my tests. IE GPS draws less than IRDA beam.

If you use Tom Tom or Garmin you can go for about 10 hours on a full charge.

Low capacity car chargers give deliver 500 ma, mid capacity about 700 and high capacity 1000 to 1200 ma. But there are some usb mini and micro car chargers that can be as low as 350.
    Walmart and K MArt both have high capacity $10 chargers. They are labeled as Motorola. The Walmart one lets you try it out while it's still in the package. The KMart one has 4 different plugs that come with it, for multiple Motorola types, which I use with my work Nextel also. Both are 1000 mAh chargers
    Me and many others have this one that has been working out well: Motorola MicroUSB High Performance Car Charger for Treo 800w.
    That one is out of stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    That one is out of stock.
    They sell the things all over.