Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Argggh,

I've had the phone now approximately 2 months and in the first month had noticed little to no issues. I've only a few additional applications installed;

sMMS
    Google Maps
    Lexisgoo Dictionary
    pmClean
    Pocket Express
    Softreset

No additional hacks, regedits, vga progs, etc...

Within the last two weeks I've noticed my screen randomly will display vertical rainbow colored lines and after a short period will fade to an all black screen... a quick tap of a button will bring the device back to life however this is extremely annoying.

Now, I know for certain this is not a software issue because I bought my girlfriend an 800w last month and hers was doing the exact same thing right out of the box. When she originally informed me of the problem, i thought I had purchased a defunked phone from ebay and was extremely pissed. Now that my phone (purchased from Sprint) is doing it, it is definitely a hardware/software issue.

Within the past 3 days it has become more consistent where as before it was intermittent.

I have the TEP on both phones, however I don't feel I should have to replace a phone within 2 mos.

Anyone else having this issue ?
    I also used to have this problem before doing a hard reset. It seemed like I had this issue show up after trying out Sprite Backup and a few registry hacks (power button to turn off screen instead of going to today screen, IE speed tweaks), but that could have just been a coincidence.
    -Tony
    I've had this problem as well. It would show the page with lines of different colors (kind'a like a TV where the picture goes bad), blank out, and go back to a normal screen. It did this a few times.. then I performed a soft reset. Hasn't happened since.. but it sounds like I can probably expect to see it again.
    Happens to me sometimes too. Weird isn't it?

Firmware update where are you?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    It's definitely not software related, as I stated earlier, this was an issue with my GFs 800w out of the box.

FREAKING PALM !!
    I have that issue, seems to happen to me when I am using bluetooth. Had it hard reset at the sprint store, but it still does it every now and then.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    curious as to why no one has posted in the bugs section ???
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    It was happening to me as well, mine seemed to occur after installing Opera Mini. After unistall, all was right again (screen and buttons would randomly turn on as well).

S
    If you leave opera mini open in the background this happens
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill View Post
    If you leave opera mini open in the background this happens
    I don't have Opera installed, but happens to me too. A soft reset takes care of it. One thing I have noticed is

1. Happens if I put the phone to charge using car adaptor (wallmart one), I have now obtained the palm battery charger, so phone no longer charges, I just swap batteries. So if I do charge the phone, I soft reset upon removal.

2. Also only seems to occur when using Palm SMS software aka when I'm texting.

Behaviour though is very random.

BigMots
    this happened to me when i had my 1st 800w. my friends who are long time users of treos and moguls told me this wasnt normal. so i exchanged it since i was still under the 30 day. my new one hasnt done it at all.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    In a sick morbid way, glad to hear others are having this problem...

700p days back in full affect !

Doesn't anyone else seem to be annoyed with having to reset a phone ? As much as I would like to back palm and be optimistic, I've lost all hope.
    Palm's "special" tweaks result in an unstable device. Maybe once the first ROM update is released, hackers can fix their mistakes.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Palm's "special" tweaks result in an unstable device. Maybe once the first ROM update is released, hackers can fix their mistakes.
    Yah, not holding my breath on that... Im a prior 700p owner.
    I just got this tonight!
    I had the exact issue which I reported when the 800w first came out. I couldn't turn off the screen when it would go through the rainbow vertical lines.

I called Sprint tech support regarding the issue. I thought this could have been causing the poor battery life on the 800w. Fortunately, Sprint swapped out a new 800w for me and the new 800w is not exhibiting the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my poor battery performance.

Tae
    I had this happen to me a couple of times. Phone sitting on my desk and just happens. I was on a call last night and the phone just frozed. Gray screen, nothing worked, so i had to do a soft reset. Is my phone defective?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysen View Post
    It's definitely not software related, as I stated earlier, this was an issue with my GFs 800w out of the box.

FREAKING PALM !!

How could you say that? Both yours and your girlfriends palm came with the same exact software on it from the factory. 'Software' does not just mean 3rd party apps. It means the ROM, the firmware, and the customizations that Palm made to all of it.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    How could you say that? Both yours and your girlfriends palm came with the same exact software on it from the factory. 'Software' does not just mean 3rd party apps. It means the ROM, the firmware, and the customizations that Palm made to all of it.

I didn't know I needed to clarify my frustration; I meant Third Party apps (i.e. opera, smms, pocket express)

Replacing the phone will not rid the problem, it's only a matter of time before it starts occurring on the new one..
    Sounds like a lot of defective hardware out there. Perhaps defective batteries or voltage regulators.