Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just a note for Treo Pro owners with cheap USB-chargers lying around. Bring out your screwdrivers and soldering irons!

The Treo is kind of picky about charging. Or rather it is trying to be friendly, act according to USB-specs and not draw more power than agreed upon.

4 out of 5 of my USB-chargers did not charge the Pro. However with shorted data pins, like a well behaved dedicated USB-charger should have, they do.

I'm not entirely decided upon if this is a good or bad. On one hand standards are good. On the other, NO other device I know about does this and it limits the number of possible "charging points" a bit.

Wikipedia article explaining this.
    Last edited by frause; 09/30/2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Link added
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    That makes me glad I've just ordered the 'official' Palm micro USB cable, albeit at an inflated price!
    Palm is a member of a dark conspiracy to expose sloppy USB manufacturers
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    That makes me glad I've just ordered the 'official' Palm micro USB cable, albeit at an inflated price!
    Meh! I just bought TWO 2m cables for about the price of a Palm cable. Of course, there is more shiny stuff on the 'official' cable. We all know shiny is expensive!
    Good to know this!!
    If I have trouble charging I will look this shorting trick up!

For charging I intend to use my nice 50cm cable USB>MiniUSB and a 10cm pigtail MiniUSB>MicroUSB.
    Hate all those 5 feet cables in my bag!
    Treo Pro Playtime
    Ugh, why does Palm constantly have to make things difficult for us. I actually returned my 800w because I couldn't find a compatible USB-to-3.5 mm headphone adapter.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    You will not have any problems with the TP then

A tip for those having plenty use of MiniUSB (all of you I guess):
    Get the Mini->Micro pigtail on ebay - look for SKN6252A - for just a few $.
    Treo Pro Playtime
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post

Amen! Can't wait to get back to a 3.5mm jack.

Great idea regarding the adapter. HOPEFULLY it will work, but I'm not gonna have big expectations.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    HOPEFULLY it will work, but I'm not gonna have big expectations.
    It will not be the cable having problems, but the power adapter!
    Imho it is safe to assume that every usb-cable will work just fine.
    Treo Pro Playtime
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Careful. The review over at Brightand says that the Palm connector is not the "standard" Type B Micro USB found on new Nokias and Motorolas, for which this adapter is designed. The reviewed is adamant that his E71 lead won't fit the Treo.

This is the plug socket used by Moto and Nokia. More detail here (warning: PDF)

The "standard" plug looks like just like a miniaturised and flattened Mini-USB, with sloping sides. Whereas the TP's socket looks to be a square shape rather than a trapezoid (click to here and zoom on photo for comparison.)

I see Palm's description for their lead says it fits both the Pro and 800w. Does this mean we do need "special" leads after all, or have Brighthand got it wrong?
    Last edited by Me2; 09/22/2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Yes, it looks different.
    This means Palm is ****ing with the USB specs!

It looks like a type A microUSB !

Hope hotlinking this pic works:
    Treo Pro Playtime
  12.    #12  
    The receptacle on the Treo Pro looks an awful lot like a micro-AB receptacle to me.

There are images for comparison in the USB article on Wikipedia.

In the first google hit for "USB micro-ab", the USB-IF says:
    Vendors of USB On-The-Go (OTG)
    products are directed to adopt the Micro-AB receptacle on all new OTG designs
    I can't post clickies yet apparantly. Sorry for that. But I can assure you that I have cables bought as USB-A-MicroUSB-B that works just fine.

EDIT: I can't explain why a Nokia-supplied cable doesn't fit, but the reviewer jumps to all sorts of wrong conclusions about different voltages and such.
    Last edited by frause; 09/22/2008 at 11:27 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Yes, it looks different.
    This means Palm is ****ing with the USB specs!

It looks like a type A microUSB !

Hope hotlinking this pic works:
    Sorry.. Still can't post links...

Those are plugs. The Palm-supplied cable looks like the right one in the image.
    Last edited by frause; 09/22/2008 at 11:14 AM.
  14. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    Sorry.. Still can't post links...

Those are plugs. The Palm-supplied cable looks like the right one in the image.
    .. which looks exactly like the end of my Nokia CA-101 Micro USB cable. Sounds like we might be alright then.
    So, the TP is prepared for USB OTG?
    And as such has a plug fitting both B for old-fashioned operation and A for USB OTG (meaning the device becomes the host).

Is this gist of your story frause?
    Treo Pro Playtime
  16.    #16  
    So, the TP is prepared for USB OTG?
    And as such has a plug fitting both B for old-fashioned operation and A for USB OTG (meaning the device becomes the host).

Is this gist of your story frause?
    No, not really. Just that it has a standard USB socket and not something the Palm engineers designed at the company christmas party. And that it can be charged with a standard, cheap USB-charger, providing the data pins are shorted.
    Now I am completely confused.
    Waiting to try myself what really works!

One thing is for sure... if it does not fit a standard microUSB A plug I will be pissed off big time - could as well have the bloody athena instead then.

From the wikipedia article:
    The USB On-The-Go standard introduces a new plug receptacle called micro-AB. It can accept either a micro-A plug or a micro-B plug. Micro-A Adapters allow connection to standard-A USB cables, coming from peripherals.
    meaning imho... although it might look like a type A plug it will also take B.
    Treo Pro Playtime
  18.    #18  
    Now I am completely confused.
    Waiting to try myself what really works!

One thing is for sure... if it does not fit a standard microUSB A plug I will be pissed off big time - could as well have the bloody athena instead then.

From the wikipedia article:

meaning imho... although it might look like a type A plug it will also take B.
    Yeah... I'm pretty sure the receptacle on the Pro is a micro-AB. It definitely takes micro-B plugs anyway.
    if there's no power at all upon charging
    you need to do a soft reset since its on a deep sleep mode when you purchase it.. fyi
    all the Motorola microusb chargers seem to be working for me. I have the AC and Car adapters both tested and functional.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast