1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried WMWifiRouter yet, or compared it with PdaNet?

PDANet seems to require a cable (I've used the PalmOS version and liked it OK). No official listing for Treo Pro, but it looks likely to work. http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/

WMWiFiRouter looks like a cleaner solution, since no cable is required. The program claims to be compatible with the Treo 800W, but nobody seems to have tried it with the Treo Pro. If it worked, though, it seems like this would be a fantastic program to use in laptop emergencies... http://support.wmwifirouter.com/devices/

Any word from the early-adopters would be great...
  2.    #2  
    In looking at JuneFabrics' website, I notice that they're advertising PdaNet to also have WiFi support now....

http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/updatehistory.php

Depending on how well this works, it makes both programs look pretty compelling -- at least if they work on the Treo Pro!

Still hoping someone with a device will report their experiences with one or both of the programs...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    are you looking to connect without the USB cable? if not, is there a reason you don't want to use the native Internet Sharing app included with Windows Mobile (which requires a USB cable)?
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    PDANet does support a Blueetooth connection.
    i've used WMWifiRouter on my PPC6700 and it is clean, simple, and easy to use. I like that fact that I can turn my phone into a wireless access point and connect my laptop to it, which is much faster than bluetooth.
  6.    #7  
    dannzeman, do you know if wmwifirouter on 3G works using "phone as modem" or regular data? (For example, can other applications access data at the same time and/or does the phone go busy during data connections)?
  7. jhn
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Which works best on Treo Pro, wmwifirouter or PDANet.
  8.    #9  
    Wmwifirouter works fine. I haven't tried PDANet because it lacks wifi support (i.e., once I found that wmwifirouter worked, I never looked for anything else).

If junefabrics ever adds wifi support, I'd reconsider -- I liked their Palm product alot (and PDANet's proxy mode seems nice) but the wired issue is too big a limitation. For example, with wmwifirouter, two laptops can share one phone connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    If junefabrics ever adds wifi support, I'd reconsider -- I liked their Palm product alot (and PDANet's proxy mode seems nice) but the wired issue is too big a limitation. For example, with wmwifirouter, two laptops can share one phone connection.
    Junefabrics added wifi support with v2.0 quite awhile ago (last summer?):

Feature: Connection over Wifi is supported for Wifi-capable phones.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    wmwifirouter works pretty good for me on my GSM Treo Pro. I've tried both and here's a few differences.

I never had the wifi PDA net so I always had to be wired. So that's a drawback. Also the wired PDA net always was finnicky with the computer part detecting the phone part. When working it worked well. The bluetooth component I thought always sucked. #1 it was a pain to setup and pair, #2 the speed was always slow.

WMWifirouter has worked for me pretty well. It does take a while to start up. And then once started it takes a bit to initiate the wifi connection. But once started it's always worked for me.

Wireless is also key. The speed is pretty good, After running several speed tests wired and wireless it's essentially the same.

The huge drawback to wmwifirouter is battery power. It will consume a full battery in about 2 hours on the Treo pro. So you aren't going to be able to do a huge amount of work wireless. But it's nice when you are at the coffee shop, eating lunch outside or somewhere else when you just need quick internet for a while. If I was traveling without AC power I would definately think 2x and use the built in Internet Sharing on WM6.1

Hope this helps.
    I use WMWifirouter with the phone plugged in. Works great. After about 2-3 hours of heavy usage though, the battery begins to drain. I believe it is due to the heat generated from the battery.
    A lot of people have had success with WMWifiRouter. I didn't, but PDAnet works great on my Treo Pro. So, try them both & see which works best for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD View Post
    wmwifirouter works pretty good for me on my GSM Treo Pro. I've tried both and here's a few differences.

I never had the wifi PDA net so I always had to be wired. So that's a drawback. Also the wired PDA net always was finnicky with the computer part detecting the phone part. When working it worked well. The bluetooth component I thought always sucked. #1 it was a pain to setup and pair, #2 the speed was always slow.

WMWifirouter has worked for me pretty well. It does take a while to start up. And then once started it takes a bit to initiate the wifi connection. But once started it's always worked for me.

Wireless is also key. The speed is pretty good, After running several speed tests wired and wireless it's essentially the same.

The huge drawback to wmwifirouter is battery power. It will consume a full battery in about 2 hours on the Treo pro. So you aren't going to be able to do a huge amount of work wireless. But it's nice when you are at the coffee shop, eating lunch outside or somewhere else when you just need quick internet for a while. If I was traveling without AC power I would definately think 2x and use the built in Internet Sharing on WM6.1

Hope this helps.
    This was my experience as well... I used the PDA net program with my 700wx and it would lock up the phone and seemed to not work so well... When it worked it worked pretty well but It took me sometimes as long as 15 minutes to get the phone and computer talking to one another and even then after an hour it would lock up the phone. I had to reboot the phone and computer if I lost connection for any reason. Then took me another 10-15 mins to get them to connect again.

WMWiFiRouter has worked flawlessly for me on both my 800w and now on my Treo Pro. I guess if I realized Pda net has wifi now I would have gotten my newest version and tried that one. I purchased a connect card and used that because of the connection issues I was having with PDA net.

In my case I am using the Sprint version of the TP.

Rodney
    I've been using WMWiFiRouter for the last 3 months with ZERO problems on the Pro. I would not be caught dead without this App!