Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For ppl who already got their TP, can someone confirm if Garmin Mobile XT is working on this device or not, along with its voice navigation?
    Also, how is the GPS signal strength inside buildings, garages, tunnels in general??
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
  2. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    For ppl who already got their TP, can someone confirm if Garmin Mobile XT is working on this device or not, along with its voice navigation?
    Also, how is the GPS signal strength inside buildings, garages, tunnels in general??
    Interested in this too, and how loud/intelligible the speaker is in the car.
    it works perfectly...
    GPS signal quality is like the other Qualcom-based devices, good outdoors and mediocre indoors. It is not a replacement for SirfStarIII chipset, but for everyday use in the car or biking/hiking/... it's good enough. Since I had my gps-enabled phone I have never powered up my bluetooth sirfIII receiver.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I'm using mine with Route 66 Mobile 7 - works great.

The sound is OK if you remember to turn all the volume levels up first before you run the application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    I'm using mine with Route 66 Mobile 7 - works great.

The sound is OK if you remember to turn all the volume levels up first before you run the application.
    About the sound: that depends on the navigation software, Navigon remembers the volume you set and restores the system volume back afterwards.

It does help to have something close to the back of the Treo Pro to get the sound reflected back. Or you can use a 3.5mm jack cable to your AUX IN on your car stereo (if available).
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I understand that Garmin Mobile XT works in Treo Pro. I just want to make sure that the latest update of Version 5.00.20w https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...=138&pID=11413 would display properly as it dramatically changes the look-n-feel. Thanks in advance.

BTW I ran the update and it works very well for my AT&T Tilt. "Huge" directional arrow on top left when navigating (instead of textual description) and speed limit "sign" when driving on freeway are two of the pluses. Oh, it also comes with Google search fully integrated. This is really an awesome upgrade.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I love TT6 UI but it's POI database is pretty sparse, so I'm going to give Garmin Mobile XT a try.

Another thing that's annoying about TT6 is the inability to minimize the app while it's running. Can you minimize the Garmin Mobile XT app while it's running?
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Yes
    James

VZW: 700W>700WX>Centro>Samsung Saga> now with Sprint: Touch Pro>Treo Pro>Touch Pro 2
    What annoys me is that the Mobile XT package I used with my Treo 700p will not work with the internal GPS receiver of the Pro as the maps I have (supplied on DVD) are locked to the external GPS receiver. Calls to Garmin confirmed this, and they will not budge, not even a discount on a new purchase of standalone Mobile XT (which has its own issues - I really wouldn't want to be forced to use their microSD).

For those of you using XT on the Pro, how's the performance in terms of both speed and stability? It went from unusable to barely usable on the 700p as they upgraded the software over time.
    Can the software for Mobile XT, be copied onto a separate microSD card and run from there. Or must it be run from the media supplied by Garmin?
    For anyone considering Garmin, but dissuaded by the software/maps being locked to the 2GB card this method does work.

GPSUnderground

I have it running on my 16GB card and as previously confirmed by aero, does not need a priming utility. After a soft reset and restarting Garmin, it acquired the sats and was ready to navigate in 15 seconds.

I like the TT6 UI better, but the maps were 3 years old and it costs $80 for new ones and even on those there was no guarantee TT was going to add all the POIs I'd gotten used to with Garmin. The Garmin software costs the same amount and it's maps are from 2009.
    works just fine for me as it did on the 800w
    Yes, Garmin XT works fine on Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Did you notice in 2D, the cursor is way flush to the bottom of the screen?

Also, you can only do route planning when you are on lock in that GPS location right now. Say for example you are lock on the GPS in the heart of Atlanta and just for kicks, you want to check out the route between LA and SFO. Well you cant do it cause you are not in that city right now. This is kinda stupid.

Tell me if I am wrong.

If I had a 16 gb microSD card, then I would put Garmin on it. Otherwise my top choice would be TT7.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Chong, Can't you just go in and turn off your location update (GPS) and then do you route planning. Yeah it's a extra step but I believe it works.

Will try later when I am outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Did you notice in 2D, the cursor is way flush to the bottom of the screen?

Also, you can only do route planning when you are on lock in that GPS location right now. Say for example you are lock on the GPS in the heart of Atlanta and just for kicks, you want to check out the route between LA and SFO. Well you cant do it cause you are not in that city right now. This is kinda stupid.

Tell me if I am wrong.

If I had a 16 gb microSD card, then I would put Garmin on it. Otherwise my top choice would be TT7.
    Not sure what you mean "check the route"? While in the "main" map screen, you cannot scroll around, but it you tap on the vehicle, you go to a "secondary" map screen, which you can scroll, zoom in/out, etc. So If I am in Chicago, and I want to look at a map in Atlanta, I can do that, GPS lock or not.

So you can look at any city/area that you have loaded. I have all of North America selected and it's only about 1.1G, so if you have a 2/4/8GB microsSD card, you are okay as well.

I do notice Garmin likes to fire up the data connection (EVDO) when it starts, even if you are hooked up via wi-fi. I guess that's not a huge biggie; it can always be turned off.

I have not tested with RealVGA; I am curious if you have.
    Does it still activate the data connection if you disable the garmin online?

I tried it out for the first time this morning just viewing the map as I drove to work to see how well it followed my location. To me, it seems to have a little lag compared to TT6.

I was previously using Garmin Mobile 10 on my last phone. By default, 10 used to show street names at the top as I approached them. XT only shows "driving on <street name>".

Is that setting in XT? It was very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Does it still activate the data connection if you disable the garmin online?

I tried it out for the first time this morning just viewing the map as I drove to work to see how well it followed my location. To me, it seems to have a little lag compared to TT6.

I was previously using Garmin Mobile 10 on my last phone. By default, 10 used to show street names at the top as I approached them. XT only shows "driving on <street name>".

Is that setting in XT? It was very useful.
    I have confirmed it does not start a data connection if you disable that in settings. (The options are disable, ask, and always).

I can't comment on TomTom, it's seems to track well/quick for me, but I am comparing to LiveSearch/GoogleMaps.

As for the "approaching" feature, there is a setting under settings --> routing --> turn preview. It is disabled by default; turn it on and test and see. Not sure if this is what you are looking for. Also, there seems to be different level of map detail available, so you may want to tweak that to see if something shows.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast