Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks. I do have turn preview enabled, but I think it only does something when it's routing.

I may just have too many features or too much detail enabled. TT6s map view was pretty simple in comparison, but it updated my location quickly. XT seems to be a bit jerky.

I'm going to see how well Garmin XT routes on the way home tonight. TT6s route recalculation was fast. Garmin Mobile 10 was annoyingly slow.

Heck, now that I've got it working on my 16GB card, I may keep both on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Thanks. I do have turn preview enabled, but I think it only does something when it's routing.

I may just have too many features or too much detail enabled. TT6s map view was pretty simple in comparison, but it updated my location quickly. XT seems to be a bit jerky.

I'm going to see how well Garmin XT routes on the way home tonight. TT6s route recalculation was fast. Garmin Mobile 10 was annoyingly slow.

Heck, now that I've got it working on my 16GB card, I may keep both on there.
    Choice is good!

I think the calculation takes longer than I'd like. But I am comparing to LiveSearch. The CPU power of servers in the cloud are more powerful than a little smartphone, so this is to be expected.

From what I have seen of TT, I think it's a bit cluttered. Garmin seems cleaner. But then again, this is personal preference). I also like the Garmin online stuff, and the Panaromio feature is neat (but not exploited to it's fullest extent.)

Both these system have heritage in the standalone GPS realm, so they are shoe-horning it into the Smartphone platform.

I am curious for people who use Sprint TeleNav for they think Garmin XT compares.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Both these system have heritage in the standalone GPS realm, so they are shoe-horning it into the Smartphone platform.
    Most of the dedicated GPS software was written for windows CE so it isn't really a shoehorn to to us windows mobile.
    I find the routing on tomtom and Garmin superior to telnav.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=mikec;1582772]Not sure what you mean "check the route"? While in the "main" map screen, you cannot scroll around, but it you tap on the vehicle, you go to a "secondary" map screen, which you can scroll, zoom in/out, etc. So If I am in Chicago, and I want to look at a map in Atlanta, I can do that, GPS lock or not.

So you can look at any city/area that you have loaded. I have all of North America selected and it's only about 1.1G, so if you have a 2/4/8GB microsSD card, you are okay as well.
    QUOTE]

What I mean is that Garmin cannot do "Route Planning" when you are not in that city. Say you are in Atlanta and you got a lock on the GPS in downtown now. But you are want to do a route planning between SFO and SEA. You cant do it. You are not in SFO and SEA. The program does not allow you to do it.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I would install Garmin if I am going international. There are soo many oversea map for it. I think part of it is because the map is open source?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Does anyone using Garmin Mobile XT have issues with the screen? Mine looks fine except for the speed limit is partially cut off. Had the same issue with my VZW Samsung Saga. I assume the program won't support 320x320?
    James

VZW: 700W>700WX>Centro>Samsung Saga> now with Sprint: Touch Pro>Treo Pro>Touch Pro 2
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    The number got cut off right? Font size? Yah, I notice that.

You notice in 2D, the car is very flush to the bottom?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by jac6695 View Post
    Does anyone using Garmin Mobile XT have issues with the screen? Mine looks fine except for the speed limit is partially cut off. Had the same issue with my VZW Samsung Saga. I assume the program won't support 320x320?
    Yup. Same problem.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I was using my Garmin today, it ran great for me, I am using an HTC Touch, but can some one tell me how to set the Home icon to my real home, I have no idea where it was taking me but it wasnt home.
    Thanks
    Terry

Edited to say: Never mind, I googled the owners manuel! :-)
    Terry
    Last edited by Tmair; 04/13/2009 at 11:39 PM.
    [QUOTE=chong67;1583120]
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Not sure what you mean "check the route"? While in the "main" map screen, you cannot scroll around, but it you tap on the vehicle, you go to a "secondary" map screen, which you can scroll, zoom in/out, etc. So If I am in Chicago, and I want to look at a map in Atlanta, I can do that, GPS lock or not.

So you can look at any city/area that you have loaded. I have all of North America selected and it's only about 1.1G, so if you have a 2/4/8GB microsSD card, you are okay as well.
    QUOTE]

What I mean is that Garmin cannot do "Route Planning" when you are not in that city. Say you are in Atlanta and you got a lock on the GPS in downtown now. But you are want to do a route planning between SFO and SEA. You cant do it. You are not in SFO and SEA. The program does not allow you to do it.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I would install Garmin if I am going international. There are soo many oversea map for it. I think part of it is because the map is open source?
    I think you are correct. My Garmin GPS in my car does the same thing.

If I want to do a route outside of the area I am in, I used LiveSearch (The latest version is excellent), or Google Maps.

Does TomTom allow this?

I guess that use case didn't come up for them. Quite frankly, with the exception of the turn-by-turn directions, voice prompts, and 2-D view, I would just stick to LiveSearch. But when I want Garmin-style GPS, it will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    I was previously using Garmin Mobile 10 on my last phone. By default, 10 used to show street names at the top as I approached them. XT only shows "driving on <street name>".

Is that setting in XT? It was very useful.
    After changing the map detail from "normal" to "low" it now shows the upcoming street names at the top. I guess Garmin figured if you use more details you can see the street names on the map, but with the Treo's small screen the text isn't easy to see at a glance even with the text size set to large.

Another thing I noticed was missing from XT that was in 10 was when I arrived at my destination, 10 used to say which side of the street it was on.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    My XT tells me which side of the street my stop ison.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    TomTom allows you to do route planning from any city to any city even when you are not in that city.

I like TomTom because the car scrolling is very smooth. Very fluid like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    My XT tells me which side of the street my stop ison.
    Terry
    It's working now too. Maybe it was just that one destination.

I still find the Garmin routing engine to be a bit suspect in my city (Los Angeles) as it was in version 10. I was heading home on the freeway yesterday and Garmin kept telling me to get off several miles ahead of my normal exit and take surface streets even though freeway traffic was very light.
    Hi, I not read all the tread but for those who want the feature in the "View map" for show the street name ahead when you navigate with "View map", this is the trick for this.

I use this trick in Garmin XT version 5.00.20w

From the main screen, go to TOOLS, choose Route Details, (you will see "Route details are unavailable" if you not have any route programed)back to the main menu and go to MAP VIEW. Now the street name ahead should be appear on the top bar.
    ^Thanks. I tried this and it seemed to work for a bit, then reverted back to showing me what street I'm driving on.

Edit: Seems to work OK as long as I don't switch to another app while its' running. Thanks for the great tip mikuni999! I really missed having this feature when I went from Mobile 10 to XT.
    Last edited by furiousyellow; 05/15/2009 at 09:50 AM.
    I installed Garmin on my TP GSM model and it locks up at the Garmin spash screen about 1/2 the time when I try to start the program.

Any thoughts on why it might be doing this? I have no programs other than active sync running at the time I try it.
    Mike
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Have you tried removing it and reinstalling.

I am running it on my STP flawlessly.

I love this program. It is so much better than my dad's standalone TT XLS. The online feature is a great for me since I am usually searching for odd work related stuff. The Garmin also routes and calculates times much better than the TT XLS. I used it yesterday for about 6 hours while in and out of network coverage, and it performed great.

Also running it on my wife's centro with a gps puck. It is good for her, since she is terrible with directions.
    I think I had a corrupt registry entry. Cleaned it out and reinstalled. No all is good.
    Mike
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I just completed a 17 day work trip from AL to NE and back. XT was invaluable on this trip. It works so well. The local google search is great. I used to find all manner of businesses from food to a tire store (blowout). The ability to dial the number from the UI is really nice. Very nice piece of software.
    it works perfectly for me, while tt has a better interface imo garmin grabs those sat way faster
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast